toldailytopic: Is it immoral to smoke Marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Let me explain: I'm not a United States citizen, I live in The Netherlands. Overhere my behaviour was not regarded criminal, 'cause drug usage is legal here. Immorality and illegality are two different things and I explained that before you joined this chat.

You nevertheless used substances in a destructive manner, which is part of the moral ethic. Occasional use of alcohol is not immoral, as would be the same with cannabis.

I know it is sold in the Netherlands having been there. I doubt methamphetamine hydrochloride is sold legally.

AnitaNL

You nevertheless used substances in a destructive manner, which is part of the moral ethic. Occasional use of alcohol is not immoral, as would be the same with cannabis.

I know it is sold in the Netherlands having been there. I doubt methamphetamine hydrochloride is sold legally.

Having been overhere you know the situation. You pay sales tax over soft drugs. True, hard drugs are not being sold in shops, but even the dealers of those don't get persecuted. The only point I try to make is that every substance that has the potential of being harmful should at best be avoided whether it's legal or illegal.

Dena

It it immoral? No. It's illegal which one could define as unethical I suppose but marijuana usage in itself has nothing to do with morality. If it were legal in my state I would cook with it.

The purpose of smoking it is to get high- not feel a buzz.

You propose to know a lot about the intentions of others.

Do drunks do dumb things--yes. But moderate alcohol use does not make you drunk or even make you hallucinate like this woman in my home did on pot.

Perhaps she was just an idiot? Yes, it can make you hallucinate especially if someone put something else in it without you knowing. That doesn't mean that every person who uses cannabis is a raving lunatic.

Recreational drug use should never be legal.

So it's the government's job to make sure people don't use marijuana?

john w

Hall of Fame
I never did like Elvis in the 70's. When he died, I and my friend smoked a few joints, and watched some of his "In Rememberance" concerts, and I thought he was the greatest musician that ever lived. Keep it illegal.

All you junkies on this site:my bong water is over 30 years old. Will it still work?

Dena

There not anything moral or immoral about Marijuana, no more than alcohol, which is prohibited only by those who believe it is a bad act lead to prediction, rather than good faith leading to Grace. There is no rule about being a sin to alter your state of consciousness. It is much like other thing some people hate and want to make it a moral issue. To all those, I say "Jump in a lake!"

:D

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Having been overhere you know the situation. You pay sales tax over soft drugs. True, hard drugs are not being sold in shops, but even the dealers of those don't get persecuted. The only point I try to make is that every substance that has the potential of being harmful should at best be avoided whether it's legal or illegal.

You desire to argue round and around about this, never facing the truth. The moral issue is not changing ones consciousness, rather it is the acts of being out of self control, as in drunkenness.

I would certainly choose to change my state of consciousness, rather than feel extreme pain; this is quite different than doing it for enjoying the euphoria, which again, is not immoral within the confines of responsible behaviour.

It may not be at all immoral to drink 3 Martinis, but it becomes immoral and illegal to drive in that state of mild impairment.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
So it's the government's job to make sure people don't use marijuana?

Yes. We all know that the government's job is to cater to corporate interests. Since marijuana is a drug that you can grow yourself, corporations would be taking a big risk if it were legal, since they might or might not make money on it. Furthermore, there's a risk that if people are high, they'll be less productive. Furthermore, there's a good chance that people would spend less money on other things. After all, if you're high, you really don't need much to keep you entertained, do you? Why should I spend the money to go to the theater? Why would I go eat out at the new restaurant? I'd have weed! There ain't no going see the new sci-fi film if I have weed. I'll let the weed take me wherever it wants. There ain't no eating out at a restaurant on weed. I'm making brownies! The only way you're getting me or anyone else on weed at the new restaurant is if I'm out of brownies.

That's why it's illegal pretty much everywhere. The boss man has to make his buck and exploit the masses, and it's the government's job to make sure he does.

At least...that's what the conservatives apparently think. :plain:

Dena

That's why it's illegal pretty much everywhere. The boss man has to make his buck and exploit the masses, and it's the government's job to make sure he does.

At least...that's what the conservatives apparently think. :plain:

:think:

I'm not sure they go that far? They just don't like it so it must be wrong and therefore it should be illegal.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
:think:

I'm not sure they go that far? They just don't like it so it must be wrong and therefore it should be illegal.

No, no. They're catering to corporate interests. You can be sure of that. The boss man's always trying to keep us down, Dena. :nono:

Dena

No, no. They're catering to corporate interests. You can be sure of that. The boss man's always trying to keep us down, Dena. :nono:

Is that what you think we non-conservatives believe? I do believe corporations have much to do with my marijuana is illegal but I don't think the general population is in cahoots with them.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
No it is not a sin, what you are confusing is acts with a state of mind, which may not be related to sinful acts. To hear you tell it, my drinking wine would be a sin, yet Jesus drank wine. It is the acts of drunkenness, which are sinful, not drinking. Marijuana use is illegal, but, in itself, not immoral.

:up:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yes. We all know that the government's job is to cater to corporate interests. Since marijuana is a drug that you can grow yourself, corporations would be taking a big risk if it were legal, since they might or might not make money on it.

I'm not following that argument. I think it is only valid is corporations were making money off it now. I suppose some do, with medicinal marijuana. Is that what you mean? Drug companies don't want it legal?

ragTagblues

Normally I would have something to say on this subject but . . . .

I have just hammered out a 4000 word essay in 7 hours straight, with references and all, I'm so tired.

Hopefully it will be still here when I wake up, so it's time to role a big one and fly high . . . .

Peace out!

Status
Not open for further replies.