toldailytopic: Is it immoral to smoke Marijuana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No ... moderate marijuana smoking is, IMO, less detrimental than alcohol.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
But it IS a sin to alter your state of consciousness. It's because of that that smoking marijuana is immoral. But be my guest, I have no problem with sinners. I'm just trying to sin somewhat less myself.

No it is not a sin, what you are confusing is acts with a state of mind, which may not be related to sinful acts. To hear you tell it, my drinking wine would be a sin, yet Jesus drank wine. It is the acts of drunkenness, which are sinful, not drinking. Marijuana use is illegal, but, in itself, not immoral.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't care for Vienna sausages but my kids love them for breakfast.
At Thanksgiving you can count on fool to show up with a crockpot of little smokies swimming in BBQ sauce.
And tooth pics.
Now that's good eating...you can also cook them in brown sugar alone. Marvelous really.

And you can use a crock pot, so it's at least tangentially related, sort of. :think:

Don't do drugs! :mmph: There, that's playing the topic bit safely enough.

AnitaNL

No it is not a sin, what you are confusing is acts with a state of mind, which may not be related to sinful acts. To hear you tell it, my drinking wine would be a sin, yet Jesus drank wine. It is the acts of drunkenness, which are sinful, not drinking. Marijuana use is illegal, but, in itself, not immoral.

I used ev'rything from marijuana, psylosybine, lsd to coke & speed for 5 straight years and I never harmed anyone during that time; my actions weren't bad. Still I say the usage is immoral, because in the end you do harm somebody: oneself.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 9th, 2011 11:21 AM

toldailytopic: Is it immoral to smoke Marijuana?

I don't think it is of itself. If it is immoral it would be due to the illegality of it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yes, it is illegal and gets you high. Rocks, blue ringed octopus, and lava, are also part of God's creation that were not intended to be put into our bodies.

It should be legal for medicinal purposes if its taken seriously, unlike how its legal for medicinal purposes now.

But is it immoral to put rocks, octopi and lava in your body? :think:

:chuckle:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I used ev'rything from marijuana, psylosybine, lsd to coke & speed for 5 straight years and I never harmed anyone during that time; my actions weren't bad. Still I say the usage is immoral, because in the end you do harm somebody: oneself.

Clearly you made it a problem for you; it is your own weak character, which you are attributing to all others. There is no point discussing it with you.

As for me, no, I do not use marijuana because it is illegal, yet if that were changed and being very ill, it being prescribed for comfort by a physician, I would not consider it a moral question anymore than using morphine to alleviate pain.

Your sin lies in your deviant behaviour, not the use of a substance alone.

AnitaNL

Clearly you made it a problem for you; it is your own weak character, which you are attributing to all others. There is no point discussing it with you.

As for me, no, I do not use marijuana because it is illegal, yet if that were changed and being very ill, it being prescribed for comfort by a physician, I would not consider it a moral question anymore than using morphine to alleviate pain.

You sin lies in your deviant behaviour, not the use of a substance alone.

I don't see anything immoral in taking a prescribed substance. When it comes to that I think we're on the same page.

fool

Hall of Fame
I just looked up the recipe at www.deviledeggs.com ... looks really tasty.

You had to look up deviled eggs?
You poor thing!

Any way,you want to buy eggs that are getting close to the sell by date and let them sit in the fridge for a week fresh eggs will be hard to peel.
When you boil them put a teaspoon of baking soda in the water and remember to shock them with cold water at the end of the boil.
Then back in fridge for a couple of days and they should peel flawlessly which is important, if they are not flawless then don't present them.
There is a special tray that has divits in it specificaly for transporting and serving eggs in the deviled mode and this piece of equipment should be considered mandatory.
If for some reason one can't be had a platter with a bed of romain lettuce can be used.

GuySmiley

I can think of two people I know who would be in agony if not for pot. Not everyone who gets a scrip for their "condition" is just milking the system--although those abusers definitely do give those in true need a bad rep.
I agree it should be legal. But I dont see why it isn't sold through normal pharmacies by pharmacists. At least where I live its a joke. Yesterday's pot-heads are todays pharmacists. People go to school for 6 years to dispense prescription drugs. But pot for some reason gets a pass.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I agree it should be legal. But I dont see why it isn't sold through normal pharmacies by pharmacists. At least where I live its a joke. Yesterday's pot-heads are todays pharmacists. People go to school for 6 years to dispense prescription drugs. But pot for some reason gets a pass.

A "pass"? I'd say the opposite, nine times out of ten, and compared to the garbage sold by pharmacies, that's beyond a travesty.

It may be that selling pot at a pharmacy would either pose a security risk, or--where have we heard this before?--too many pharmacists would refuse to dispense it for "moral" reasons. I'd say that is an extremely likely outcome.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I don't see anything immoral in taking a prescribed substance. When it comes to that I think we're on the same page.

You might want to think that position through more carefully. What is a physician prescribed the substance, yet is was a violation of federal law? What if I prescribed it myself, as I have often done, yet went though a physician, as per ethics, one cannot proscribe to oneself. What if I become terminally ill and choose to not die in pain, yet here I am offered morphine, I want hydromorphone, or dihydromorphine and seek it in another country? Where is the moral dilemma?

There no moral dilemma, it is a matter of what is legal and what is illegal.

You are looking at it from a moral perspective because you have taken part in criminal behaviour; your immorality is your criminal intentions before you disregarded the law and made your first illegal purchase. Further, buying illegal substances from criminals harms others by keeping them in business. You cannot say those you supported did not harm anyone; your actions alone does not free you of moral responsibility.

AnitaNL

You had to look up deviled eggs?
You poor thing!

Any way,you want to buy eggs that are getting close to the sell by date and let them sit in the fridge for a week fresh eggs will be hard to peel.
When you boil them put a teaspoon of baking soda in the water and remember to shock them with cold water at the end of the boil.
Then back in fridge for a couple of days and they should peel flawlessly which is important, if they are not flawless then don't present them.
There is a special tray that has divits in it specificaly for transporting and serving eggs in the deviled mode and this piece of equipment should be considered mandatory.
If for some reason one can't be had a platter with a bed of romain lettuce can be used.

That's so sweet of you, telling me the ins and outs of deviled eggs. And, yes, I had to look it up... had no idea what "deviled eggs" were. But then again, would you know what "hutspot" was? A real national dish here. Sigh,.. thanks for the hug, I needed it.

GuySmiley

I know there has been a huge increase in the number of 18-24 yr olds with terrible chronic back pain. :)

AnitaNL

You might want to think that position through more carefully. What is a physician prescribed the substance, yet is was a violation of federal law? What if I prescribed it myself, as I have often done, yet went though a physician, as per ethics, one cannot proscribe to oneself. What if I become terminally ill and choose to not die in pain, yet here I am offered morphine, I want hydromorphone, or dihydromorphine and seek it in another country? Where is the moral dilemma?

There no moral dilemma, it is a matter of what is legal and what is illegal.

You are looking at it from a moral perspective because you have taken part in criminal behaviour; your immorality is your criminal intentions before you disregarded the law and made your first illegal purchase. Further, buying illegal substances from criminals harms others by keeping them in business. You cannot say those you supported did not harm anyone; your actions alone does not free you of moral responsibility.

Let me explain: I'm not a United States citizen, I live in The Netherlands. Overhere my behaviour was not regarded criminal, 'cause drug usage is legal here. Immorality and illegality are two different things and I explained that before you joined this chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.