toldailytopic: How does one get to heaven?

GuySmiley

i think its rather amusing that protestants usually claim to go only by the Bible

and yet they throw out big chunks of it:

Mt 16:18 (The Church cannot be destroyed)

Jn 20:19 (confession to a priest)

Jn 6:27-54 (Eucharist)

when i was outside the Church, i would sometimes go to a protestant church (didn't know any better:sigh:) and i NEVER once heard a pastor talk on those psgs and tons of others.

protestants pick and choose which ones they will deal with.

They throw out those that sound too Catholic

so much for loving the Bible
When was the last time you sacrificed an animal to cover your sins? Or do you "throw out" those verses?

elohiym

even if one Catholics theology is "a mess" that doesn't mean that Catholic theology is a mess (not t hat the poster was off in his theology.. haven't read enough of his posts to say)

Both the poster's theology is a mess and Catholic theology is a mess.

this is how you non-Catholics always stretch things

All denominations are a mess theologically, not just the RCC.

and how the True Church of Jesus Christ (RCC) gets maligned.

The RCC is not the "true church of Jesus Christ." :rolleyes:

If it were me, i wouldn't even take a CHANCE that some church i didn't believe in was the ONE --

Because you do not know Christ or the gospel. Someone who knows Christ and knows the gospel wouldn't be taking a chance, but knows a tree by its fruits.

and i was maligning it

Sounds like you are maligning every one who is not in your "true church of Jesus Christ."

Don_Quixote

So, anyone on board with the "build a big tower" idea? It'd help the economy....

rman2655l.jpg

elohiym

the bible says you are a liar
if
you claim that you do not sin

No. The Bible doesn't say that. You are merely proof texting out of context while ignoring the same author states:

1John 3:5-9 5 You know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

And you ignore Jesus' statement:

John 9:41 Jesus said to them, "If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, 'We see,' your sin remains.

All of that is consistent with what I believe about what God has done for me. In contrast, all of that contradicts what you believe, and proves you are of the devil and have never seen or known Christ.

genuineoriginal

I've been listening to a couple of popular songs from the 1970's.

It appears that you can buy a stairway to heaven, but that means that there is still a long way to walk up the stairway.
On the other hand, it appears that there is a highway to hell, and you can ride there in air-conditioned comfort.

GuySmiley

when was the last time you asked a decent question?
Hey, lay off, I vote republican . . . most of the time . . . and . . .

Do you agree protestants "throw out" those verses or maybe do protestant have reasons (that you disagree with) to treat those verses differently than you? Maybe we could get past stupid rhetoric like "throwing out" verses and talk to each other.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Hey, lay off, I vote republican . . . most of the time . . . and . . .

Do you agree protestants "throw out" those verses or maybe do protestant have reasons (that you disagree with) to treat those verses differently than you? Maybe we could get past stupid rhetoric like "throwing out" verses and talk to each other.

the place of sacrifice has been destroyed
and
it will not be rebuilt
so
it should be clear that the daily sacrifice is over

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i think its rather amusing that protestants usually claim to go only by the Bible

and yet they throw out big chunks of it:

Mt 16:18 (The Church cannot be destroyed)

Jn 20:19 (confession to a priest)

Jn 6:27-54 (Eucharist)

when i was outside the Church, i would sometimes go to a protestant church (didn't know any better:sigh:) and i NEVER once heard a pastor talk on those psgs and tons of others.

protestants pick and choose which ones they will deal with.

They throw out those that sound too Catholic

so much for loving the Bible

If you don't expect to be stoned for picking up sticks on the Sabbath, and if you don't expect your shoes to wear out, then you, by your very stated standard, throw out chunks of the bible.

Why do you throw out chunks of the bible, logical?

GuySmiley

the place of sacrifice has been destroyed
and
it will not be rebuilt
so
it should be clear that the daily sacrifice is over
I agree, and there was a perfect sacrifice for us also . . . but we dont "throw out" those verses. We have reasons to treat them how we do. Protestants don't throw out verses, we have reasons for what we believe. Of course you disagree, and that makes TOL more fun, but it doesnt help to accuse the other side of "throwing out" verses.

heir

TOL Subscriber
did you miss the part where I hang my hat on two greatest commandments?
Love worketh no ill to his neighbor. Every time you tell someone they have to DO something to be saved you work ill to your neighbor.

Romans 4:4-5 KJV Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 KJV But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us,

Titus 3:4-7 KJV But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: How does one get to heaven?

I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, this is a good question, and I will answer from my heart by what I know and believe what is absolutely truth...

Well this one (me) who was lost and realized he was a sinner in need of a savior, I was told that the Way, the Truth, and the Life to God was through Jesus, so believing that as the truth, I by faith I repented, confessed, believed and accepted what Jesus had done for me. Now I'm saved and that is how I'm bound for heaven.

Or

Another truth, I love the Scriptures for in them they speak of life and that Life is in Jesus, there is absolutely no other way than by him, all roads may lead to Jesus, but only one road or way leads to heaven, right, the road that leads to Jesus.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16 … Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6 … For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. Mark 10:45 … For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost. Luke 19:10 … 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9 … For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 2:5

9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:9-10 … But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8 … 8 But what does it say? "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart" (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved." Romans 10:8-13 … And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 1 John 5:11