toldailytopic: How does one get to heaven?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Jesus cared enough to actually die for you so you wouldn't think you have to try your hand at your other so-called option.

I understand what Jesus did
and
I understand what I have to do

our redemption is not due to what Jesus said
it is due to what He did

the same goes for us

elohiym

Peter was singled out many times

So was Paul. So was John. So?

John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
True. But I wasn't quoting Paul. Rather, I was quoting God Almighty and His Son.

No Chrys. You believe what you church tells you to believe, for the most part, for the most important part.

Who said these things?

John 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

So why don't you believe those scriptures?

I believe in the two greatest commandments
and
I believe all the laws hang on them

do you?

logical1

By trading your guilt for the righteousness of Christ and accepting the reality of the payment He made for you at the cross and the gift of a reservation purchased for you when He rose from the dead.

...and then dying. :plain:

and also by doing everything Jesus says to do.

there is no such thing as what Luther taught, that you can sin and it wont keep you from Heaven.

Even if your sins are forgiven, you can end up in deep levels of Purgatory and the saints say that this is VERY painful

sin affects people. Even when you are forgiven of a mortal sin, there is much work to be done to be 100% expiated of that sin. By work i mean massive rosaries, offering up of one's sufferings in atonemnet, doing good to make up for the bad you have done (pennace) --

elohiym

I believe in the two greatest commandments

No. You don't. You merely acknowledge them. If you believed them, you would fulfill them or cut your hand off or pluck your eye out trying. Instead, you continue in sin, judging yourself according to the flesh, and then think you can receive absolution from a priest (a license to sin).

and
I believe all the laws hang on them

do you?

Of course I do. Unless you were drunk every time we've been through this previously, you should know that. You should know that I believe it's impossible for someone born of God to not love his neighbor as himself.

Do you believe it is possible for you to fulfill Matthew 7:12?

elohiym

obey the two greatest commandments

I do. But when I've told you that I do you claim I am a liar.

More evidence your theology is a mess.

Either it can be done, or it cannot be done.

Can you obey the two greatest commandments without fail?

logical1

How does one get to Heaven? You have to be a part of the Body of Christ to go to Heaven. Below are the steps on how to become a part of the Body of Christ.

a. Hear the Gospel message--What Jesus did for you on the Cross.
b. Believe the Gospel and Confess
c. Sealed by the Holy Spirit
d. You become a servant of Christ, asking Him to do His work though you.

so far none of the answers involves DOING anything.

hmmm. That's odd since Jesus said to obey the commandments.

He also told us that if we do not care 4 our (HIS) brethren, we will end up in Hell - if we do feed the hungry, care fro the lonely, etc

This is in Mt 25:31

nowhere in this psg or anywhere else does it say that those who have accepted Jesus as personal savior get a free pass on this loving one's neighbor thing (meaning loving him in a tangible, practical way)

In fact nowhere in the Word does it say that we must accept Jesus as personal savior. Those words are NOWHERE in the Bible. Whatever happened to sola scriptura?

Luther was the 1st to come up w/ this innovation that once a person is "saved" he is always saved.

Again, where does it say that in the Bible??

you people who claim to go by the Bible... uh...

hmmmmmm

satan666

the kingdom of heaven is at hand

the kingdom of heaven is at hand

Jesus has interested us to preach that the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Soñé bible state as i can remember state the kingdom heaven is now. In something forms of philosophy it is described as the now. Your are, right now. Are you not? Percieving the future and the past, alfa and omega, relative spwcetime etc. Thus being only now, or already in heaven, we are subject to the fact that we all are lower than God. So getting to heaven is of no consequence. Your already there. And when you die the spirit goes on. Where? Where else?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
obey the two greatest commandments

And you didn't do it. So now what?

10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

logical1

even if one Catholics theology is "a mess" that doesn't mean that Catholic theology is a mess (not t hat the poster was off in his theology.. haven't read enough of his posts to say)

this is how you non-Catholics always stretch things

and how the True Church of Jesus Christ (RCC) gets maligned.

If it were me, i wouldn't even take a CHANCE that some church i didn't believe in was the ONE --

and i was maligning it

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

no one can

heir

TOL Subscriber
I do not hang my beliefs on one or two passages from the bible
especially Paul's stuff,
which is easy to misinterpret
You hang your hat in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and yet the gospel of Christ, the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes (Romans 1:16-17 KJV, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is NOT back there (1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV, Galatians 1:11-12 KJV, Ephesians 2:12 KJV, Ephesians 3:1-6 KJV).

I cannot force you to believe the only gospel in this age that can save you, but it does not change the fact that Christ died for your sins and that He was buried and rose again the third day. If you die before trusting in the faith and finished work of the Lord Jesus Christ or before the Body of Christ (believers) is caught up you will go to Hell with all of your sins FORGIVEN, but you did not receive (believe) the love of the truth that you could be saved from the wrath to come.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 KJV And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

You are holding the truth in unrighteousness, chrys.

As an ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by me: I pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.

logical1

i think its rather amusing that protestants usually claim to go only by the Bible

and yet they throw out big chunks of it:

Mt 16:18 (The Church cannot be destroyed)

Jn 20:19 (confession to a priest)

Jn 6:27-54 (Eucharist)

when i was outside the Church, i would sometimes go to a protestant church (didn't know any better:sigh:) and i NEVER once heard a pastor talk on those psgs and tons of others.

protestants pick and choose which ones they will deal with.

They throw out those that sound too Catholic

so much for loving the Bible

logical1

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 5th, 2011 09:08 AM

toldailytopic: How does one get to heaven?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

you have to be in Jesus TOTALLY to get to Heaven

That means that ALL of a person has to be obedient to Jesus - his soul, his body, his mind, his ambitions, etc, etc....

some claim to love Jesus but they really love their family more

or their job

or (whatever... fill in the blanks)

when it comes to doing something difficult that Jesus commands (sell all you have and give to the poor and follow Me) they balk

which is why Jesus said that thing about how many will attempt to enter Heaven but will "not be strong enouhg"

not being strong enough means being too attached to the things / people of this world

it reminds me of that thing about a monkey trying to get a peanut out of the coconut shell. The trappers are coming to get him but he can't get the peanut out of the coconut unless he lets go of the peanut (his hand pllus the peanut are too big to pass through the hole), which he refuses to do, so he gets caught