toldailytopic: Hate the sin, love the sinner. What are your thoughts on that common s

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
That pertains to unbelievers. It is not our place to correct thiose outside the church. And it is never our place to correct a brother who may have been mistakenly accused. There are those in congregations who are like Satan: eager to place blame and accuse God's people day and night without cause on the basis of false accusations - Satan's favorite favorite thrill!!
So we should never witness to unbelievers and show them their need for Christ?

genuineoriginal

The question Knight asked concerned unbelievers. That is altogether different from correcting brothers in the faith, but our brothers, we are to correct gently.

The question Knight asked concerned sinners, he did not specify if they were believers or not.
It doesn't matter whether they are believers or not, the actions on our part are the same.
We are to love every sinner that Jesus died for enough to rebuke them when they sin, and Jesus died for every sinner.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
In the poll I set up, you said that immorality is not sinful for Christians, now you believe that it is sinful. I've never know anyone as confused as you.
My flesh, wherein sin dwells, is not in Christ and is therefore not Christian. My spirit is in Christ and in Him there is no sin. My body is dead because of sin; it is carnal, sold under sin. I am not in the flesh, I am in the Spirit. Sin is transgression of the law; I [my spirit in the Spirit] am not under the law, and where there is no law there is no transgression.

This flesh, this body of death, is dead in its trespasses [transgressions of the law], but the Spirit is life because of Christ. My spirit, that which is in Him [wherein there is no sin], is alive in Him.

That which the body of death is in [unrighteousness] and all deeds from that have no bearing on my living spirit, quickened by God.

So any immorality committed in the flesh is not a sin for that which is Christian; my spirit, alive in Christ.

bybee

My flesh, wherein sin dwells, is not in Christ and is therefore not Christian. My spirit is in Christ and in Him there is no sin. My body is dead because of sin; it is carnal, sold under sin. I am not in the flesh, I am in the Spirit. Sin is transgression of the law; I [my spirit in the Spirit] am not under the law, and where there is no law there is no transgression.

This flesh, this body of death, is dead in its trespasses [transgressions of the law], but the Spirit is life because of Christ. My spirit, that which is in Him [wherein there is no sin], is alive in Him.

That which the body of death is in [unrighteousness] and all deeds from that have no bearing on my living spirit, quickened by God.

So any immorality committed in the flesh is not a sin for that which is Christian; my spirit, alive in Christ.

So, if your body rapes, pillages or murders, no problem! And if someone in the flesh murders your flesh no problem!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
So, if your body rapes, pillages or murders, no problem! And if someone in the flesh murders your flesh no problem!
Of course there's a problem, just no effect on my salvation or relationship with Christ.

However, if I am wont to do these things then it is certainly suspect if I even know Christ, for why would one who knows Christ even want to do these things so much as to actually do them?

bybee

Of course there's a problem, just no effect on my salvation or relationship with Christ.

However, if I am wont to do these things then it is certainly suspect if I even know Christ, for why would one who knows Christ even want to do these things so much as to actually do them?

I agree with you. I appreciate your response.

andyc

Paul (quoting David) says, blessed is the man in whom the Lord shall not impute sin. Sin may not be imputed, but it is still possible to commit. The spirit is renewed and the body is condemned, but its within the soul/heart that sin is conceived.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Paul (quoting David) says, blessed is the man in whom the Lord shall not impute sin. Sin may not be imputed, but it is still possible to commit. The spirit is renewed and the body is condemned, but its within the soul/heart that sin is conceived.
Scripture?

andyc

Scripture?

Matthew 15:19 "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.

Acts 5:3-4
But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 "While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

Genesis 6:5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Proverbs 6:14 Perversity is in his heart, He devises evil continually, He sows discord.

Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Matthew 15:19 "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.

Acts 5:3-4
But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? 4 "While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

Genesis 6:5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Proverbs 6:14 Perversity is in his heart, He devises evil continually, He sows discord.

Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
Now show me the soul and heart are the same thing.

andyc

Now show me the soul and heart are the same thing.

The soul is the personality, and the personality reveals the heart of a person.

Nephesh (Hebrew - soul)

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinks in his heart (Nephesh), so is he.

Psuche (Greek - soul)

Eph 6:6-7 but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart (psuche); With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men

Obviously the heart of a person reveals the personality. This is why scripture says that God created Adam a living soul. A living being with a personality.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The soul is the personality, and the personality reveals the heart of a person.

Nephesh (Hebrew - soul)

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinks in his heart (Nephesh), so is he.

Psuche (Greek - soul)

Eph 6:6-7 but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart (psuche); With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men

Obviously the heart of a person reveals the personality. This is why scripture says that God created Adam a living soul. A living being with a personality.
So you can't provide links to show these are the words used and that they mean 'soul'?

What I've found is that they can mean 'soul,' but can also mean 'seat of the emotions,' which is what we mean when we use the word 'heart' in this context; I have not found them to mean both at the same time, just as 'heart' does not mean 'seat of the emotions' and 'the muscle that pumps blood to our veins and arteries, through ventricles, etc.' at the same time.

andyc

So you can't provide links to show these are the words used and that they mean 'soul'?

What I've found is that they can mean 'soul,'

:doh:

but can also mean 'seat of the emotions,' which is what we mean when we use the word 'heart' in this context;

:doh:

Yes. Ultimately we're talking about the inner man that forms the personality. The mind, will, and emotions. In English translations, heart is used as a kind of figure of speech. If Someone has a broken heart, their soul is downcast within them.
You have mentioned the body and spirit, but you do not understand that we are also a soul. This part of our being is undergoing a sanctification process as we are changing the way we think, which in turns effect the will. The decision to either obey the flesh or conscience takes place in the mind/soul. The mind will and emotions are the real you, so when yo give into temptation......you sin.

I have not found them to mean both at the same time, just as 'heart' does not mean 'seat of the emotions' and 'the muscle that pumps blood to our veins and arteries, through ventricles, etc.' at the same time.

When you were born I think the nurse must have smacked you too hard.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Yes. Ultimately we're talking about the inner man that forms the personality. The mind, will, and emotions. In English translations, heart is used as a kind of figure of speech. If Someone has a broken heart, their soul is downcast within them.
You have mentioned the body and spirit, but you do not understand that we are also a soul. This part of our being is undergoing a sanctification process as we are changing the way we think, which in turns effect the will. The decision to either obey the flesh or conscience takes place in the mind/soul. The mind will and emotions are the real you, so when yo give into temptation......you sin.
The real me is the me God sees; the me in Christ. That which sins is not who I am, but is dead to God in sin. Who I am is alive to God in Christ.

When you were born I think the nurse must have smacked you too hard.
Funny, I assumed your problem was the nurse smacked you on the wrong end.