This Black WAS abused by cops.. Sandra Bland

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It seems clear to me that he was looking for a reason to be able to order her out of her car.

I believe he wanted the situation to escalate, because he thought she was being uppity and he was going to fix that.

yeah, he wanted that, which is why he wrote a warning, instead of issuing a ticket, which would have made anyone more upset - doubtful.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Dude;
You're completely factually wrong on this.
They can take you and all your passengers out at a traffic stop.
They can frisk and cuff you for their own safety.
Understand that.
Like it or not cuffed and frisked is the baseline.
Any time you're not cuffed and frisked is them being cool with you because you're being cool with them.

NO! YOU FLAMING MORON!
She's "entitled" to be frisked and cuffed.
You need to stop spreading this misinformation.

Correct.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I've been frisked but never worn the braclets.

That's the law, it's for their safety.

They are allowed. That's how it is.

Did you guys have tea?

They get to cuff and search you for their safety. Arguing about gets you tased.
Remember; argue with the cops in court, not on the street.

Well said, if they did something wrong, sue them later.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
He didn't arrest her for failure to signal. He arrested her for having a bad attitude and for failing to put out a cigarette, which as far as I can tell aren't crimes.

False, she was arrested for resisting. She refused to get out the car. Its already been shown in the thread that a police officer has the right to ask you to step out of the car at anytime when a law has been broken - upheld by the supreme court.

The law she broke was failure to signal. Which in texas can in itself get you arrested.

rexlunae

You still don't get it. Every time a cop pulls someone over, he/she doesn't know if they will live to go home to their family.

I think cops have been given far too much deference for self-defense. I don't buy that this cop had any reason to worry about his safety in this stop, and you're just offering it as a default catch-all defense.

Simply putting out the cigarette and signing the ticket would have sent her on her merry way.

Sure. And if only people were just nice and polite to each other, the world would be a friendlier place. But the fact that she didn't doesn't constitute a crime.

The request was not unreasonable. She was.

I don't necessarily disagree that requesting her put out the cigarette was reasonable. But it isn't illegal to refuse a request, and it certainly isn't grounds for an arrest. He could have handed over the warning and let her go on her way, but because his ego was bruised, he didn't do that. He escalated the situation, when he was in the position of power, and while her actions were potentially rude, his actions were unprofessional, likely illegal, and irresponsible for someone who is employed to keep the peace, not fight a personal battle.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I think cops have been given far too much deference for self-defense. I don't buy that this cop had any reason to worry about his safety in this stop, and you're just offering it as a default catch-all defense.

Sure. And if only people were just nice and polite to each other, the world would be a friendlier place. But the fact that she didn't doesn't constitute a crime.

I don't necessarily disagree that requesting her put out the cigarette was reasonable. But it isn't illegal to refuse a request, and it certainly isn't grounds for an arrest. He could have handed over the warning and let her go on her way, but because his ego was bruised, he didn't do that. He escalated the situation, when he was in the position of power, and while her actions were potentially rude, his actions were unprofessional, likely illegal, and irresponsible for someone who is employed to keep the peace, not fight a personal battle.

yes, it is illegal to refuse to step out of the car.

The U.S. Supreme Court decided many years ago, in a case called Pennsylvania v. Mimms, that an officer may order someone who he has stopped for a traffic violation to get out of the car. Thus, you do not have a choice in the matter. It does not matter that the weather is unpleasant or that the officer does not have a clear reason for asking you to get out. When the officer asks you to “please step out of your car,” you have to do it.

rexlunae

yes, it is illegal to refuse to step out of the car.

No, not necessarily. Certainly, that wasn't the conclusion of that case. The court held that the order to get out of the car was reasonable as part of the officer's investigation of a crime and to protect the safety of the officer. It certainly isn't carte blanche for any officer to order a person out of any car. The officer in this case had already completed his investigation, and written a warning. His business with Sandra Bland was done, and all he had to do was hand the warning over. Instead, he allowed his ego to dominate and escalated the situation. This certainly isn't in the interests of good order, it made everyone, including him less safe, not more, and it seems to me likely to have been a violation of her rights.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/434/106/case.html

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No, not necessarily.

False. Because she broke the law, he had the right to ask her to step out and she did not have the right to refuse.

She could only refuse, if no law had been violated first.

And again, which you fail to recognize, even a minor traffic offense in the state of texas, can get you arrested.

If he just wanted to bully her, he could have arrested her the moment he pulled her over.

Arthur Brain

I've been frisked but never worn the braclets.

That's the law, it's for their safety.

Even if the person hasn't committed an offence?

They are allowed. That's how it is.

Without grounds for suspicion it shouldn't be, else cops could just cuff and frisk for no reason at all. With me there were grounds as I fit the profile of someone who had stolen. If I'd ignored the cop and ran off/acted aggressively then I could hardly complain if he chased me, arrested me and slapped the cuffs on etc but as I was innocent and was completely co-operative then there was no need which is as it should be frankly.

Did you guys have tea?

At 2AM?! Are you insane? We had a coffee thank you so very much...

They get to cuff and search you for their safety. Arguing about gets you tased.
Remember; argue with the cops in court, not on the street.

With reasonable grounds that's fine. I agree that arguing with cops on the street isn't the way to go.

rexlunae

False. Because she broke the law, he had the right to ask her to step out and she did not have the right to refuse.

He had that right, as part of his investigation. But he didn't ask for that during the investigation, which is the basis for his authority to give her any sort of order. Once the investigation is over, his authority to order her around also ends.

She could only refuse, if no law had been violated first.

The authority of a cop to detain a subject after a traffic stop is limited, and requires that there be some valid suspicion of a further crime to investigate. Nothing that appears to be on the video rises to the level of a crime, so I'm not sure what would give him the right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-crimes-absent-suspicion-supreme-court-rules/

And again, which you fail to recognize, even a minor traffic offense in the state of texas, can get you arrested.

And, as I already noted, if she had been arrested for the traffic offense, that would probably have been legally valid. But that wasn't why she was arrested. The cop's ego was bruised, and so he escalated the situation.

If he just wanted to bully her, he could have arrested her the moment he pulled her over.

And ironically, he probably would have been in less trouble if he had. Though, he might have had to explain to someone why he arrested someone for a traffic violation, it likely wouldn't have been a violation of her civil rights.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
He had that right, as part of his investigation. But he didn't ask for that during the investigation, which is the basis for his authority to give her any sort of order. Once the investigation is over, his authority to order her around also ends.

It would have been over, when she took her warning, it never got to that point.

rexlunae

It would have been over, when she took her warning, it never got to that point.

He never gave it to her. Seems to me like he had the choice to hand over the citation, or to continue pushing. He chose to push, which escalated the confrontation, all the way to him drawing his gun and threatening to "light her up". I think this is constitutionally suspect, but even beyond that, I would hope that the people running around with guns and badges would have cooler heads such that their egos can take a hit without the need to escalate a situation.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
yeah, he wanted that, which is why he wrote a warning, instead of issuing a ticket, which would have made anyone more upset - doubtful.

Yes, I think he did. Whether it was a warning or a ticket isn't the issue. His escalation of the situation after that point is the issue.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yes, I think he did. Whether it was a warning or a ticket isn't the issue. His escalation of the situation after that point is the issue.

Not in my opinion. This happened in texas, where you can be arrested for a minor traffic violation.

If he just wanted to escalate the whole thing, he could have simply arrested her on the spot the moment she violated the law by failure to signal.

She could have just complied with what he asked and received her warning and been on her way.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Not in my opinion. This happened in texas, where you can be arrested for a minor traffic violation.

If he just wanted to escalate the whole thing, he could have simply arrested her on the spot the moment she violated the law by failure to signal.

She could have just complied with what he asked and received her warning and been on her way.

In my opinion, he didn't feel the need to escalate until he decided he didn't like her uppity attitude.

That would be after he told her that she seemed upset and after he told her to put out her cigarette.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
In my opinion, he didn't feel the need to escalate until he decided he didn't like her uppity attitude.

That would be after he'd written the warning, and after he told her that she seemed upset and after he told her to put out her cigarette.

And thats your opinion, but hopefully you would advise people just to comply, then if they feel there is a problem, to complain to the department afterward and or sue.

These things always seem to stem from non compliance.

GFR7

That would be after he told her that she seemed upset and after he told her to put out her cigarette.
I think she felt he was abusing his power, and she wanted to show him that she knew her rights. He should have just let the cigarette thing go. How horribly this petty incident turned out. :(

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I think she felt he was abusing his power, and she wanted to show him that she knew her rights. He should have just let the cigarette thing go. How horribly this petty incident turned out. :(

A little petty in my opinion that she couldnt just put out the cigarette.