This Black WAS abused by cops.. Sandra Bland

fool

Hall of Fame
The facts are even worse:
She made the reasonable remark that she was entitled to smoke in her own car.

His response: To tell her to step out, and then threaten to "light her up" if she did not. He sounds like a rapist .

NO! YOU FLAMING MORON!
She's "entitled" to be frisked and cuffed.
You need to stop spreading this misinformation.

GFR7

Dude;
You're completely factually wrong on this.
They can take you and all your passengers out at a traffic stop.
They can frisk and cuff you for their own safety.
Understand that.
Like it or not cuffed and frisked is the baseline.
Any time you're not cuffed and frisked is them being cool with you because you're being cool with them.
Dude;
If this is true of traffic stops, then we need a major overhaul ASAP: a la Ortega y Gasset: A dramatic decrease in police forces, with localities doing their own community self-policing. Let it begin!!!

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She's "entitled" to be frisked and cuffed.
That might be true according to the law, but it's not right. The cop is just a thug and it's too bad she committed suicide. I'm glad there are people out there that will stand up to the thugs and I'd hope we would all do the same. Although I wouldn't do it if it wasn't being taped.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There's an argument for putting the cigarette out, because it could be a 'weapon' or simply an offensive method to express superiority or whatever.

Cops have pretended all sorts of things are weapons. And there's no law against expressing superiority. Again, the police are not allowed to make up new laws. They are to enforce and obey the real laws. This officer is in trouble precisely because he did not obey the law.

fool

Hall of Fame
Dude;
If this is true of traffic stops, then we need a major overhaul ASAP: a la Ortega y Gasset: A dramatic decrease in police forces, with localities doing their own community self-policing. Let it begin!!!

All traffic violations are arrestable in Texas.
That's what I'm Talking about.
As far as her dyeing in custody that's a different matter that we haven't even got to because we have not seen the evidence.
As far as the stop goes the cigarette is a red herring, he could have cuffed and frisked her the moment he pulled her over.
Letting her sit in her car was his discretion.
You and all the other social justice warriors who keep repeating the mantra that he had no right to take her out are spreading bad info and going to get people killed.

fool

Hall of Fame
That might be true according to the law, but it's not right. The cop is just a thug and it's too bad she committed suicide. I'm glad there are people out there that will stand up to the thugs and I'd hope we would all do the same. Although I wouldn't do it if it wasn't being taped.

If you want to die on the hill on being a jackass when getting a warning for failure to signal then go ahead.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I generally cooperate with police, even if I think they are overstepping their bounds. I admire those who don't; the people who confront any abuse, no matter how small,are keeping our freedoms alive.

The worst experience I've had was a cop figuring my taking pictures in a state park meant he could see my ID. I figured that was too much overreach (particularly in Texas, where stop and ID is not allowed without reasonable suspicion) and he eventually gave up.

Don't know what I'd have done if he pushed it to the point of threatening arrest.

fool

Hall of Fame
Cops have pretended all sorts of things are weapons. And there's no law against expressing superiority. Again, the police are not allowed to make up new laws. They are to enforce and obey the real laws. This officer is in trouble precisely because he did not obey the law.

They didn't make up a "new law".
When you're detained cuffed and frisked is the base line.
That's "detained" NOT "arrested".
Learn the difference or ignore it at your peril.

fool

Hall of Fame
I generally cooperate with police, even if I think they are overstepping their bounds. I admire those who don't; the people who confront any abuse, no matter how small,are keeping our freedoms alive.
I'm right there with ya. But the law must be understood and the battles must be picked.

The worst experience I've had was a cop figuring my taking pictures in a state park meant he could see my ID. I figured that was too much overreach (particularly in Texas, where stop and ID is not allowed without reasonable suspicion) and he eventually gave up.
He could have pressed it and the you and him could have the "partially unclothed" people debate.
You can beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride.
A judge jury and lawyers don't pop outa the side walk when you think your rights are being violated. Argue with cops in court not the street.

Don't know what I'd have done if he pushed it to the point of threatening arrest.
Got your head caved in then hung with a trash bag in a holding cell.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you want to die on the hill on being a jackass when getting a warning for failure to signal then go ahead.
Here's the bottom line. The cop could be correct according to the law. But he was clearly being a thug and could have simply let a citizen be free to go about their day. This would have been the right thing to do regardless of the law.

It's not being a jackass to stand up for one's rights. I admire those people that will stand up to the thug cops like this.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

He could have pressed it and the you and him could have the "partially unclothed" people debate.

But he didn't. And he'll remember next time he's inclined to bully someone.

You can beat the wrap but you can't beat the ride.

Some cities get a little hard on police who cost them money for such violations. Not enough of them, but no cop wants to be the butt of a lawsuit.

A judge jury and lawyers don't pop outa the side walk when you think your rights are being violated. Argue with cops in court not the street.

Sure. And that's how rights get lost, a little at a time.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:

He tried. She was entitled to smoke if she liked, and she was not required to be respectful to him. He behaved like an ***, and she wasn't hiding it from him. The law protects that.

He's in trouble exactly because he tried to make up his own laws.

Arthur Brain

No, she's not, she's entitled to be frisked and cuffed, that precludes smoking if you do the crayons on it.
Stop spreading misinformation.

Has it happened to you? Do you think it's right that a cop can just slap the cuffs on and frisk you no matter what? I know that America is different to the UK but unless there's a serious incident/suspicion going on the cops don't go for the cuffs and frisking automatically and nor should that be allowed IMO. The only time I was stopped by cops was a few years ago while jogging home at about 2AM. The cop car siren went and the guy shouted in my direction so I stopped. I fitted the description of someone who'd stolen a valuable ornament within the past half hour and the guy asked me my permission before frisking me along with why I was jogging so late and I complied. He was completely polite before, after and during a very brief pat down and asked whether I understood why he needed to do it. I just said "yes" and was allowed to go on my way.

I can't say I'd have appreciated it if after stopping the cop just cuffed me regardless.

rexlunae

He wrote her a warning.
She turned a warning into an arrest because she couldn't shut the hell up.

Is she legally obligated to be polite? Rudeness isn't a crime. The officer is an armed agent of state authority, entrusted to enforce the laws, not his own personal preferences. It's illegitimate for him to escalate a situation just because he doesn't like how a person responds to him. He's the one who turned the situation into an arrest, literally it was his choice. He had no need to do so, and no legal authority that I can see.

rexlunae

When you're detained cuffed and frisked is the base line.

He did. He issued what he called a "lawful order" to get out of her car, which seems to be without legal basis. I certainly can't see what valid reason he would have for it. Personally, I think that when armed agents of the state issue orders and enact them by force, they should have specific legal authority to do so, preferably including a court order.

Perhaps there is some legal basis for this under Texas law. But I can't figure out what it would be.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...23/sandra-bland-and-the-lawful-order-problem/

Generally, the police are only allowed to detain a person long enough to conduct their investigation. In this case, the investigation was concerning a failure to signal a turn, which didn't yield any evidence of any other crime or cause to investigate further, which therefore should not have required much investigation. I'm not sure why he would have needed to force Bland out of her car, let alone frisk her, for that, and he certainly didn't need her to put out a cigarette. He could have handed her the warning and walked away. He may not have liked her attitude, but that's well within her rights, especially when he asked her specifically about it.