This Black WAS abused by cops.. Sandra Bland

rexlunae

If he just wanted to escalate the whole thing, he could have simply arrested her on the spot the moment she violated the law by failure to signal.

I don't think anyone has argued that he wanted to escalate the whole thing at the outset. From what I saw, the whole interaction started out as a pretty routine traffic stop. The officer was professional, and even courteous...to a point. But then it took a turn, and his ego got tweaked, and it seems like he lost his head and failed to deescalate.

She could have just complied with what he asked and received her warning and been on her way.

She could have. But was she legally obliged to do so? Rudeness isn't a crime.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
And? did her non compliance result in anything in her favor?

I've made my point, I see no reason to keep going around in circles with you.

I said many posts ago that while he couldn't make her put out her cigarette, he could make her step out of the car. So he did.

Good grief. How many patriots are flying the Gadsen flag at the same time they're excoriating Sandra Bland for not putting out her cigarette?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I suppose time will tell. I don't think cops are allowed to give such orders unless there's a good reason, and I don't think that existed here.

Too bad that cop wasn't able to see past his ego. It may cost him dearly.

Not as much as it cost her, and costs loads of people who want to think they know better than the police to the point of non compliance.

Better not to be an armchair attorney, and just comply, then get a real one if you feel your rights were violated, and live to tell about it.

GFR7

A little petty in my opinion that she couldnt just put out the cigarette.
She was on her way to an important meeting. He had come up fast behind her, and she had moved into the right lane for him. He used that to stop and harass her.

Now she sat in the baking Texas July sun, her engine off, her make-up melting, late for her meeting, while he spent a long time back in his car. She lit a cigarette to calm down, and should have been able to finish it.

He was out in the air, she in her car. It was a mean request.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's the only kind of correct that's going to matter.
Not at all. That kind of correct is what gets a man executed for hoarding eggs. It has to be stopped before it gets out of hand (irony alert) and I admire people that will shine a light on thug cops to fix laws that need fixing, not submitting to "That's the only kind of correct that's going to matter."

The Berean

I still don't understand why people argue and yell at police officers. :idunno: That will usually end up very badly for that person. I had an encounter with two police officers a few years ago. I used to live in a condo with an alarm system. A code is required to deactivate the alarm if it goes off. One time I accidentally entered the wrong number. The alarm stopped anyway. When the incorrect code is entered several times the police are called with a potential "hostage" situation. So I go about my business when a few minutes later I hear the front door opened (downstairs, I lived in a three story condo). Then I hear a loud voice announcing themselves as police. They order me to come down SLOWLY. So I go downstairs and there are two police officers with guns drawn (but not pointed at me). I calmly explain who I am and show them my driver's licence. The officers ask me if anyone else is inside. I tell them no and they tell me to wait downstairs as one of the officers goes upstairs to investigate. The officer comes down and both check the garage. After everything checks out they ask me about my cats. I tell them a funny story about them and we all laugh. The police officers leave my condo.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
She was on her way to an important meeting. He had come up fast behind her, and she had moved into the right lane for him. He used that to stop and harass her.

Yes, its totally harrassment for a cop to pull people over when they violate the law.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
There's a storm building and it's not just over one or two incidents. Unless these cases slow down, there will be changes in the regulation of police officers.

That might be a good thing, or it might be a bad thing. But unless departments clean out the rotten apples, change is inevitable.

HisServant

There's a storm building and it's not just over one or two incidents. Unless these cases slow down, there will be changes in the regulation of police officers.

That might be a good thing, or it might be a bad thing. But unless departments clean out the rotten apples, change is inevitable.

The first step would be to deunionize the cops....so the rotten apples arent impossible to get rid of.

GFR7

Not only change, but decrease. There is pending an imminent reduction of police forces : A massive reduction. This is not rhetoric, but already taking place and will be fulfilled. In the next 15 years police forces will be 40% of what they are now.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not only change, but decrease. There is pending an imminent reduction of police forces : A massive reduction. This is not rhetoric, but already taking place and will be fulfilled. In the next 15 years police forces will be 40% of what they are now.

Do you think thats a good thing?

GFR7

The reason one is pulling over, doesnt give them a free right to ignore safety/traffic laws
She forgot - in the split second she made room for him, and on account of the fact that there was ZERO traffic on the road, she forgot. He was petty to set her up that way. He treated her like dirt.

GFR7

Do you think thats a good thing?
Absolutely. Their pensions are robbing the states. Their SWAT teams are worse than useless (my Lieutenant brother -in-law agrees whole- heartedly). We will be far better off without them. We could use about 40% of what we have now, and toss the rest. Time to thin out the ranks.