The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I understand that Jesus said his Father is greater than all. So why do they elevate Jesus to God level? In Phil 2, who is it that lowered himself to become flesh?
Only the son of man has seen God, the son of man decended from his Father, giving up the glory to take the form of man. How could he do that? Think about that.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using TheologyOnline mobile app

Why not what says he shouldn't be, He says that He and the Father are one.

keypurr

I believe that quote has an additional part you missed,

Joh 10:29-30 KJV
(29) My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
(30) I and my Father are one.

If that passage is extended logically, that also implies that Jesus was greater than all. Were you meaning to reference John 14:28? If it was please say so and I can address that instead.

You asked who it was that lowered himself. The answer is in Philippians 2:6 that Jesus, was in the form of God and equal with God, and then in verses 10-11 Paul equals Jesus with God again by citing the Old Testament passage with the name of JESUS in place of where LORD was in the Hebrew, proving that the way he means "Jesus is Lord" in that passage is actually "LORD" (Jehovah.)

How does he give up the glory he had? In a similar way as a king, who observing a game that he would normally be over as a judge, could give up his glory to participate as one of the players, subject to the same rules. It is no longer a crime to interact with the King the way one would any other participant. That is an example of "giving up the glory" that you had.
Not so, your misjudging the content.
I and my Father are one as we can be one with the Father.
He held a high position in heaven, only his Father was above him. He gave that up to become humsn.

Rosenritter

HaHaHaHa... you're a riot Alice.
Heb 1:8 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:8) But unto the Son [he saith], Thy throne, O God, [is] for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness [is] the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Which is totally not a Trinity, does not allude to a Trinity, does not use the word Trinity. I'm assuming you put your best foot forward. So either admit that your definition of "heretic" may have been a little overzealous, or go play nicely with the other heretics.

Right Divider

Body part
Which is totally not a Trinity, does not allude to a Trinity, does not use the word Trinity. I'm assuming you put your best foot forward. So either admit that your definition of "heretic" may have been a little overzealous, or go play nicely with the other heretics.
Sorry Rosey, you're wrong.

The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are the eternal God.

keypurr

Show us all, lazy bones.

Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
Heb 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

keypurr

Jesus did NOT "receive" anything but a symbolic confirmation of who He ALREADY was.

Can't you see that the Spirit of God came down like a dove and lighted UPON Him?

ALL FOUR accounts (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) agree on this point.

According to your ridiculous "story" the spirit that was in Jesus had to be suppressed or kicked out. That is FALSE.

Luke also added the voice of God to the information about this event:
Luke 3:22 (AKJV/PCE)
(3:22) And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

This was NOT Jesus becoming something that He was NOT ALREADY.

Again, you cannot understand figures of speech. The "express image of His person" is telling you that Jesus is God. But you reject it anyway.

"charakter autos hupostasis"

For you my friend, the Greek to English translations:

Hebrews 1:3

(ASV) who being the effulgence of his glory, and the very image of his substance, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had made purification of sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

(BBE) Who, being the outshining of his glory, the true image of his substance, supporting all things by the word of his power, having given himself as an offering making clean from sins, took his seat at the right hand of God in heaven;

(Bishops) Who beyng the bryghtnesse of the glorie, and the very image of his substaunce, vpholdyng all thynges with the worde of his power, hauing by him selfe pourged our sinnes, hath syt on the ryght hande of the maiestie on hye:

(CEV) God's Son has all the brightness of God's own glory and is like him in every way. By his own mighty word, he holds the universe together. After the Son had washed away our sins, he sat down at the right side of the glorious God in heaven.

(DRB) Who being the brightness of his glory and the figure of his substance and upholding all things by the word of his power, making purgation of sins, sitteth on the right hand of the majesty on high:

(ESV) He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

(Geneva) Who being the brightnes of the glory, and the ingraued forme of his person, and bearing vp all things by his mightie worde, hath by himselfe purged our sinnes, and sitteth at the right hand of the Maiestie in the highest places,

(GNB) He reflects the brightness of God's glory and is the exact likeness of God's own being, sustaining the universe with his powerful word. After achieving forgiveness for the sins of all human beings, he sat down in heaven at the right side of God, the Supreme Power.

(GW) His Son is the reflection of God's glory and the exact likeness of God's being. He holds everything together through his powerful words. After he had cleansed people from their sins, he received the highest position, the one next to the Father in heaven.

(ISV) He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact likeness of his being, and he holds everything together by his powerful word. After he had provided a cleansing from sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Highest Majesty

(KJV) Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

(NAS77) And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high;

(NASB) And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

(NET.) The Son is the radiance of his glory and the representation of his essence, and he sustains all things by his powerful word, and so when he had accomplished cleansing for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

(NIrV) The Son is the gleaming brightness of God's glory. He is the exact likeness of God's being. He uses his powerful word to hold all things together. He provided the way for people to be made pure from sin. Then he sat down at the right hand of the King, the Majesty in heaven.

(NIV) The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

(NKJV) who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

(NRSV) He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

(NRSVA) He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

(TNIV) The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.

(YLT) who being the brightness of the glory, and the impress of His subsistence, bearing up also the all things by the saying of his might--through himself having made a cleansing of our sins, sat down at the right hand of the greatness in the highest,

Now the Aramaic to English

who is the splendor of His glory and the exact image of His nature, and upholds all by the power of His Word; and by his Qnoma he made a purification of sins and sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high.

marhig

You forgot the verse that say God, your God.

Is this the verse you mean keypurr? If it is, It's the very next verse

Hebrews 1:9

Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Or do you mean another verse?

keypurr

Joh 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

marhig

Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
Heb 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.
Ah I've just seen this, at least I was on the same wavelength :D

Rosenritter

Not so, your misjudging the content.
I and my Father are one as we can be one with the Father.
He held a high position in heaven, only his Father was above him. He gave that up to become humsn.

Isaiah 45:22-23 KJV
Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. [23] I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Romans 14:11 KJV
For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Philippians 2:10-11 KJV
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; [11] And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Not so Keypurr. If I am misjudging the content then so is Paul.

Rosenritter

Sorry Rosey, you're wrong.

The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are the eternal God.
RD, Weren't you going to turn over a new leaf and stop the "you're wrong" without proof replies?

Besides that, you're wrong about me being wrong. Where have I ever said that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not the eternal God? That's the type of statement I can agree with: simple, easily derived from scripture, no gnostic nonsense.

Rosenritter

You didn't notice that both were God?

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Trinity_LowRes.jpg