The Most Dangerous Teaching

Right Divider

Body part
So what he preached in Acts 13 is what it takes to believe that Jesus is the Christ? Do you I understand you correctly on this?
No, he preached more than that.

There is also a lot of Israels history being taught there. He also gets to the good news apart from the law later in his speech.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
What is the single most dangerous doctrine or teaching today for believers?
A lack of emphasis (contrast to the emphasis that is found in the scriptures) on the severity of the sin/transgression/trespass of coveting. The Lord teaches that coveting is tantamount to adultery, and Paul teaches that it is tantamount to idol worship, both of which are undisputedly very serious sins. I think that for believers, a lack of emphasis on the gravity of coveting is the single most dangerous doctrine or teaching today.
Look lively, people.

:readthis:
:D 1st Peter 1:3 KJV 1st Peter 2:5 KJV

turbosixx

Nope.

If there is one thing I am really good at, it is working backwards from another's assertions, to the approach their assertions originated from.

It is exactly how I study the assertions of the writers of Scripture.

The question "what governing principles in approach does this writer's assertions point back to as being where he is operating from?"

Been doing that kind of thing ever since I took apart or "opened" unto mine own understanding of its various parts, one of my mom's dinner table chairs, as a child: curious about what all held it all together.

Same principle in any form of study.

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Result of His having basically broken open or broken down all that as to its various components unto them?

Luke 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight. 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

Same thing in...

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Danoh,

I like you and appreciate you but I can't accept what you say. From my perspective, you don't accept what the bible "appears" to say. I assume because that's too simple. I believe what it appears to say because that's what it's saying.

Right Divider

Body part
Could you please show me where.

In Acts 13?
Acts 13:38-39 (AKJV/PCE)
(13:38) ¶ Be it known unto you therefore, men [and] brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins: (13:39) And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

You can't also see the history lesson in Acts 13? About things promised to Israel?

DAN P

Not sure if you read my reply to this post. I'm curious what you see Aquila and Priscilla correcting in Apollos teaching.

Hi and RIGHT DIVIDER is right on and found in Acts 18:25 UNDERSTANDING ONLY the Baptism of John , in other words a Law Keeper , like John and the 12 apostles !!

dan p

DAN P

Then why did Paul baptize the jailer if it's not necessary?

Hi and what does BAPTIZO here mean in Acts 16:33 ??

Here, baprizo has many meanings , like to CLEANSE , OR to wash !!

It says in verse 33 , And having taken then in that hour of the night ,, he washed from the stripes m as was BAPTIZO / WASHING or CLEANSING he and all the rest of them INSTANTLY !!

In 1 Cor 1:17 Paul was not sent to BAPTIZE but to PREACH the gospel and the Jailer was saved or Paul would be BETRAYING his commission as written in Rom 1:1 !!

dan p

turbosixx

Hi and RIGHT DIVIDER is right on and found in Acts 18:25 UNDERSTANDING ONLY the Baptism of John , in other words a Law Keeper , like John and the 12 apostles !!

dan p

Baptism for repentance is not found in the Law. If so, please point it out.

So what did they "expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly"?

turbosixx

In 1 Cor 1:17 Paul was not sent to BAPTIZE but to PREACH the gospel and the Jailer was saved or Paul would be BETRAYING his commission as written in Rom 1:1 !!

dan p

It's clear that Paul was not instructed to NOT baptize because we see him doing it. What he means is he is to preach the gospel and of those that believe, he is not required to do the actual baptizing, anyone can do it.

For example,
Acts 18:8 Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed in the Lord, together with his entire household. And many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.

Many Corinthians were baptized but how many did Paul do personally? Very few.
1 Cor. 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.)

If you don't agree. Please explain the context and how it relates to v.17

Jerry Shugart

Then why did Paul baptize the jailer if it's not necessary?

I said that it is not necessary in order to be saved. Just like with Cornelius, who was saved before he was baptized with water.

We do know that before a person could be baptized with water that person must first believe, as witnessed by the following exchange between Philip and the eunuch:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:36-37).​

Before the eunuch was baptized with water he was already "born of God" because he believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God..For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1,4-5).

There can be no doubt that the eunuch received eternal life and was "born of God" before he was baptized with water so we can know that being baptized with water does not contribute in any way to anyone being saved.

Danoh

Baptism for repentance is not found in the Law. If so, please point it out...

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

John 1:24 And they which were sent were of the Pharisees. 1:25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?

Does that read like the practice of water baptism was new to the spiritual rulers of Israel in Moses' seat?

John 3:23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized. 3:24 For John was not yet cast into prison. 3:25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying. 3:26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.

Much water... baptizing...the Jews...purifying...Rabbi...

Good luck attempting to answer their question to John free of your reading your own ideas into that, in your obvious unawareness of...the obvious.

"Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?"

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Jerry Shugart

"Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?"

So do you actually think that the following in "bold" is speaking about water baptism?:

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God"
(Jn.3:3-5).​

turbosixx

I said that it is not necessary in order to be saved. Just like with Cornelius, who was saved before he was baptized with water.

We do know that before a person could be baptized with water that person must first believe, as witnessed by the following exchange between Philip and the eunuch:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:36-37).​

Before the eunuch was baptized with water he was already "born of God" because he believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God..For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?" (1 Jn.5:1,4-5).

There can be no doubt that the eunuch received eternal life and was "born of God" before he was baptized with water so we can know that being baptized with water does not contribute in any way to anyone being saved.

If that is the case, then why did Paul still have his sins before he washed them away in baptism?
Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

turbosixx

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

John 1:24 And they which were sent were of the Pharisees. 1:25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?

Does that read like the practice of water baptism was new to the spiritual rulers of Israel in Moses' seat?
Not when you cherry pick.

John 3:23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized. 3:24 For John was not yet cast into prison. 3:25 Then there arose a question between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purifying. 3:26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.

Much water... baptizing...the Jews...purifying...Rabbi...
Yes, much water because this is how the gospel of Jesus Christ began.
Mk. 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
2 As it is written in Isaiah the prophet,
“Behold, I send my messenger before your face,
who will prepare your way,
3 the voice of one crying in the wilderness:
‘Prepare[c] the way of the Lord,
make his paths straight,’”
4 John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

You haven't proved it's from the old law.

Jerry Shugart

If that is the case, then why did Paul still have his sins before he washed them away in baptism?
Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

In his commentary on this verse Sir Robert Anderson writes, "The Apostle records the words which Ananias addressed to him (Paul) at his conversion: 'Arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord'...His meaning is clear: 'Arise and be baptized, and turn away from your evil courses, calling on His name'" [emphasis mine] (Anderson, The Bible or the Church? [London: Pickering & Inglis, Second Edition], 230-231).

That is the meaning of the words "ye washed yourselves" in the following verse:

"And such were some of you: but ye washed yourselves, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God" (1 Cor.6:11; RV, Marginal Note).​

Or perhaps you are willing to argue that Paul could actually wash away his sins?

Common sense dictates that figurative language was being used at Acts 22:6. Now answer what I said earlier:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God"
(Acts 8:36-37).

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"
(1 Jn.5:1,4-5).​

turbosixx

In his commentary on this verse Sir Robert Anderson writes, "The Apostle records the words which Ananias addressed to him (Paul) at his conversion: 'Arise and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord'...His meaning is clear: 'Arise and be baptized, and turn away from your evil courses, calling on His name'" [emphasis mine] (Anderson, The Bible or the Church? [London: Pickering & Inglis, Second Edition], 230-231).
Are you sure you want to trust a man rewording God's word. Obviously you haven't checked the Greek words used there.

That is the meaning of the words "ye washed yourselves" in the following verse:

"And such were some of you: but ye washed yourselves, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God" (1 Cor.6:11; RV, Marginal Note).​
Where the Corinthians water baptized??

Or perhaps you are willing to argue that Paul could actually wash away his sins?

Common sense dictates that figurative language was being used at Acts 22:6.
Common sense tells us that Christians have their sins forgiven. How did Jesus instruct the apostle to make Christians? When we see people becoming Christians, are they baptized as Jesus instructed?

Now answer what I said earlier:

I agree, only believers are baptized.

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God...For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"
(1 Jn.5:1,4-5).​
This is where you are mistaken. You're taking a book written to Christians ignoring what Jesus instructed on how someone becomes a Christian and the many conversions God's word gives us on how people actually became a Christian.

Why not use actual conversions to prove you're point?
For example,
Acts 2:41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.
We see the believers baptized and added. Just as Jesus instructed on how to make a Christian.