The Meaning of the Term "Son of God"

Jerry Shugart

Let us look how Paul used the term "son of..." when speaking to a sorcerer named Elymas:

"O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord?"
(Acts 13:10).​

Of course Paul was not saying that Elymas was a literal son of the devil. Instead, he was saying that the "nature" of Elymas is that of the devil. So when it is said that the Lord Jesus is the "son of man" what is being said that His nature is that of man. And when it is said that He is the "son of God" what is being said is that His very nature is that of God.

Let us look at the way that the Unitarians understood the term "son of man" in regard to the Lord Jesus. The say:

"He did not 'toot his own horn,' but instead called himself 'the son of man,' which, in the Aramaic language he spoke, meant 'a man'" (biblicalunitarian.com).​

Since in the Aramaic language the term "son of man" means "man" then we can understand that in the same language the term "son of God" means "God."

When the Lord Jesus told the Jews that God was His Father they knew that He was claiming to be God:

"But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God"
(Jn.5:17-18).​

If this was just a misunderstanding and the Lord Jesus is not equal to God then there can be no doubt that He would have cleared up this misunderstanding and said that He was not claiming to be God. However, what He told them only made it plainer that He was claiming to be God.

First, He told them that He had the same power to raise up the dead as does the Father (v.21). He then said that all judgment has been committed to Him (v.22). Then He told them this:

"That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him" (Jn.5:23).​

There can be absolutely no doubt that by those words the Lord Jesus was confirming the Jews' idea that He was making Himself equal to God. And there is no reason at all why He would say those things unless He is God.

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Where are those people who argue that the term "Son of God" proves that Jesus is not God?

And where are those people who argue that "God" is three persons.

One of these three became human which proves that humans can become God.

Jerry Shugart

And where are those people who argue that "God" is three persons.

Here we see a plurality in the Godhead:

"And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us" (Gen1:26;3:22).​

Why do we see the LORD Himself referring to Himself using "plural" pronouns? This is a case of a "compound unity," a concept which is spoken of here:

"For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery" (Eph.5:31-32).​

This concept is above the reasoning of our finite minds and that is why Paul calls it a "mystery." Nevertheless, the concept of "compound unity" is found in the Bible and that same concept applies to the Godhead.

The Bible reveals that there is One God in three Divine Persons. That is why we read of the "name" (singular) of God here:

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" (Mt.28:19).​

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Bible reveals that there is One God in three Divine Persons. That is why we read of the "name" (singular) of God here:

Yes, one God, one Spirit, one body, one hope of our calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father.

We know all that, but what does that have to do with the one Family of the Spirit of whom we all must be born?

We also know that the Spirit impregnated Mary, not by sexual intercourse but by the power of his Spirit by which he made the universe through his Builder who is another Spirit referred to by Paul as the Spirit of Christ. But Christ did not impregnate Mary, it was someone else referred to by Gabriel as the Highest (the Most High).

Do you believe that if there is a Most High there are some who are by definition less high? Or are you one of those who dispute Christ by saying there is no Most High, everyone is equal?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
God becoming man doesn't mean man bocomes God. What you said is borderline gibberish.

A lot of people don't believe Jesus was born of the Spirit, many think he is forever locked into being a human.

beameup

A lot of people don't believe Jesus was born of the Spirit, many think he is forever locked into being a human.

He is forever locked into being a human.
He is forever locked into being God.
Both statements are true.
It's called the "hypostatic union".

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
He is forever locked into being a human.
He is forever locked into being God.
Both statements are true.
It's called the "hypostatic union".

Jesus is not hu-man any longer.

Jesus is still a man thou, a resurrected glorified man. The same man of Nazareth.

If people get to know the man then they will get to know His Father.

but you can not get to know Jesus by your thinking that is through know God.

and it is essential that people know Jesus the man in order to be saved.

There is no other way.

Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Joh 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Act 22:7 And I fell unto the ground, and heard a voice saying unto me, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
Act 22:8 And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest.

Gal 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,
Gal 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

Most "believers" do nothing but confer with flesh and blood.

LA

daqq

OP -- You will not escape the supreme logic of the Testimony of Yeshua himself.
His own words testify against you and they are NEVER going to change:

Why can you not hear what Yeshua says? He says the Logos-Word that he speaks is the Judge, not the man Yeshua himself, the man Yeshua judges no one, and likewise the Father judges no one but has committed all judgment to the Son: the Logos-Word of Elohim is the Seeker and the Judge, and the Son, and the Son of man who descended from the heavens in corporeal-bodily form as a dove.

Are you willing and capable of following very simple systematic logic? The heavens and the earth will pass away but the words of Messiah spoken through the mouth of Yeshua will not pass away. Therefore these very simple and clear emphatic statements from Yeshua which follow below are absolute doctrine. Please give it your best attempt to follow the very simple systematic logic in the following passages and statements from the Master himself:

Here is the perfect logic behind what I say, Freelight, taken straight from the Testimony of Yeshua himself in the very same Gospel account which so many use to supposedly prove that the man Yeshua or Jesus is "God Almighty born into human flesh" as they say. But when we take certain key statements of the Master himself, as follows, the error of Trinity is clearly exposed by the Testimony of Yeshua himself. The first key statement is that Yeshua says his words are SPIRIT, and even this should be enough to fully support what I have said, but if you follow the logic laid out in sequence from the statements below there is absolutely no denying the outcome of these clear emphatic statements.

The words of Yeshua are Spirit:

John 6:62-63
62 What then if you should behold the Son of Man ascending up [to] where he was before?
63 It is the Spirit that quickens; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak unto you,
they are Spirit, and they are Life.

The Father judges no one but has committed all judgment to the Son:

John 5:22
22. For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment unto the Son:

The man Yeshua also states that he himself judges no one:

John 8:15
15. You judge after the flesh: I judge no one.

There is only one who judges and he is the Seeker and the Judge:

John 8:50
50. And I seek not mine own glory: one there is, the Seeker and Judge. [Rev 2:23]

The Memra-Logos-Word which the man Yeshua speaks is not his own:

John 14:24
24. He that loves me not, keeps not my sayings: and the Logos-Word which you hear is not of me, but-contrariwise [it is] of the Father who sent me.

The Memra-Logos-Word is the Seeker and the Judge:

John 12:47-48
47. And if anyone hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but that the world might be delivered.
48. He that rejects me, and receives not my words, has one that judges him: the Logos-Word that I have spoken, that one shall judge him in the last day.

Revelation 19:11-16
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called
Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no one knew but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood:
and his name is called The Logos-Word of God.
14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written,
KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

The Son of Elohim and Son of Man is the Memra-Logos-Word who descended from the heavens in pneumatikos-spiritual somatiko-bodily form as a dove and abode-remained upon-within the man Yeshua throughout his ministry and Golgotha. No one has seen Elohim at any time because spoken word cannot be seen with the eyes of the flesh. The "new covenant" new Spirit, (Ezekiel 11:19, 18:31, 36:26), is therefore the most holy Word of the Testimony of Yeshua. Anyone claiming to have "the Holy Spirit" but not having and upholding the Testimony of Yeshua in uprightness is therefore deceived.

For the umpteenth time . . .
The words of Yeshua are Spirit:

John 6:62-63
62 What then if you should behold the Son of Man ascending up [to] where he was before?
63 It is the Spirit that quickens; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I speak unto you,
they are Spirit, and they are Life.

The Father judges no one but has committed all judgment to the Son:

John 5:22
22. For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment unto the Son:

The man Yeshua emphatically states that he himself judges no one:

There is only one who judges and he is the Seeker and the Judge:

50. And I seek not mine own glory: one there is, the Seeker and Judge. [Rev 2:23]

The Logos-Word which the man Yeshua speaks is not his own:

John 14:24
24. He that loves me not, keeps not my sayings: and the Logos-Word which you hear is not of me, but-contrariwise [it is] of the Father who sent me.

The Logos-Word is the Seeker and the Judge:

John 12:47-48
47. And if anyone hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but that the world might be delivered.
48. He that rejects me, and receives not my words, has one that judges him: the LOGOS-WORD that I have spoken, THAT ONE shall judge him in the last day.

The man Yeshua is not the Son of Elohim but a son of Elohim.
THE SON OF ELOHIM is He that descended from the heavens in corporeal form as a Dove.

The man Yeshua is the Anointed One.
The Son of Elohim is himself the Anointing sent from the Father, (Luke 4:18-21, Isaiah 61:1-2a).

Zeke

What if multitudes in the ages past were never taught Yiddish and Jewish lore will it still Judge them?

daqq

What if multitudes in the ages past were never taught Yiddish and Jewish lore will it still Judge them?

Uh-oh, someone sounds like he feels he is being judged. I said nothing about escaping or not escaping judgment to the OP. What I said concerned doctrine and the supreme logic, (and logical conclusions), from the statements of Yeshua which I quoted. It is about doctrine, (which the OP seems to think he can just ignore as is constantly done in other threads). If you have heard the Logos, and rejected it, and now you feel judged: what does that have to do with me? It only shows that what Yeshua says of the Logos he speaks was and is true, (for example that is exactly what he says in John 12:47-48 quoted above). :chuckle:

Jerry Shugart

Do you believe that if there is a Most High there are some who are by definition less high? Or are you one of those who dispute Christ by saying there is no Most High, everyone is equal?

I say that He is the Mighty God:

"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isa.9:6).​

Who do you say that He is?

Jerry Shugart

The man Yeshua emphatically states that he himself judges no one:

Then the man Jesus is from above, as He said later in the same discourse:

"And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins"
(Jn.8:23).​

How do you explain that the man Jesus Christ is from above and is not of this world?

daqq

Then the man Jesus is from above, as He said later in the same discourse:

"And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins"
(Jn.8:23).​

How do you explain that the man Jesus Christ is from above and is not of this world?

Where is your pal Right Divider? His name says it all; rightly divide, for the Son of Elohim speaks through the man Yeshua because that is the Spirit which the Father sent upon the man Yeshua who is the Anointed One. The Son is himself the very Anointing who abode-remained upon the man Yeshua from his immersion. The man Yeshua never seeks his own glory:

50. And I seek not mine own glory: one there is, the Seeker and Judge.

And the Father has committed all judgment to the Son. Therefore the man Yeshua cannot be the Son because the man Yeshua judges no one according to his own Testimony, (and the heavens and the earth shall pass away but his words shall not pass away). Neither does the Father judge anyone because it is His Logos-Word who is the Judge. The Logos-Word therefore cannot be the man Yeshua because the man Yeshua judges no one. Likewise Yeshua says in the same passage that if he testifies of himself his testimony is not true. Yet in the same passage he speaks of the Son, and exalts the Son over and above himself, and testifies of the Son and the Son of man, (because Testimony is Spirit and the Testimony of Yeshua is therefore the Son of man).

John 5:22-31 ASV
22 For neither doth the Father judge any man, but he hath given all judgment unto the Son;
23 that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He that honoreth not the Son honoreth not the Father that sent him.
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth him that sent me, hath eternal life, and cometh not into judgment, but hath passed out of death into life.
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour cometh, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God; and they that hear shall live.
26 For as the Father hath life in himself, even so gave he to the Son also to have life in himself:
27 and he gave him authority to execute judgment, because he is a son of man.
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour cometh, in which all that are in the tombs shall hear his voice,
29 and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.
30 I can of myself do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is righteous; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

The man Yeshua never claims to be "God Almighty" anywhere because if he did not only would he be testifying of himself but he would be exalting himself. This is why Yeshua always speaks of both the Son of Elohim and the Son of man in the third person; for the Son is that Spirit upon him and the Testimony which Yeshua speaks is likewise the Son of man. It is all about Testimony because, as Yeshua says, the words that he speaks are Spirit and they are Life.

Jerry Shugart

The man Yeshua never claims to be "God Almighty" anywhere because if he did not only would he be testifying of himself but he would be exalting himself.

Here is the testimony of the Lord Jesus in "bold":

"Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty" (Rev.1:7-8).​

The one who "is to come" is the Lord Jesus. And the coming spoken of in the context is about the Lord Jesus' coming:

"Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him" (Rev.1:7).​

Jerry Shugart

A brother and a friend.

Is He also your Master and Lord?

After all, He said the following:

"So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet" (Jn.13:12-14).​

daqq

Here is the testimony of the Lord Jesus in "bold":

"Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty" (Rev.1:7-8).​

The one who "is to come" is the Lord Jesus. And the coming spoken of in the context is about the Lord Jesus' coming:

"Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him" (Rev.1:7).​

That is from Revelation of Messiah Yeshua who is the Son of Elohim:

Revelation 2:18 ASV
18 And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write: These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like a flame of fire, and his feet are like unto burnished brass:

That one you are not going to be seeing with your eyes (plural) of the flesh.
If one of your eyes offends you pluck it out so that your eye may be single when he comes. :)