The long nightmare has just begun: Inauguration of a fraud.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TH must be quoting those same loser pollsters who said hillary would win by a landslide, they are still trying to influence the gullible with lies.
Actually, the point I made in response was that his numbers don't demonstrate a discrepancy. If 48 percent of people loved Trump it would still put him under 50% approval on that point. And that would line up fine with what I noted.

Im sorry, which one of those is a retouched actual pic of obama, made to look horrifying, those look like cartoons to me, clearly cartoons.
So to you it would be fine if they showed Bannon in cartoon form in exactly the same pose, feature and caption? Then I don't really understand the importance of the distinction or its impact on your complaint.

I don't know why you feel the picture has been retouched or looks horrifying. Neither of those seemed apparent to me, though I know there is retouching in photos for effect. Maybe a side by side of his face would change my mind. Fool, who unlike me likes the president, actually liked it.

Understanding we differ on the point, I don't find outrage in either treatment, cartoon or unflattering blurb attached to a (to my sensibility, but not fool's) an ominously dark and brooding photo. But then, I believe the lampooning or criticism of public figures comes with the rest. I doubt he'll lose any sleep over it.

Not an attempt to make an actual pic look shameful.
I think that if that were on the cover of The New Republic and the caption read: "Gravitas comes to Washington" the hard and alt right would be singing its praises.

You know it too,
I reserve the right to differ with what you believe you know and to believe something at odds with it, which is the case here.

how deceitful you are...
At that point I just felt sad for both of us and stopped reading.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I reserve the right to differ with what you believe you know and to believe something at odds with it, which is the case here.

At that point I just felt sad for both of us and stopped reading.

You're not at all deceitful, and I appreciate your input.

So I'm just back from Liberty Station where I had a terrific slice of pizza topped with butternut squash and roasted brussels sprouts. It was awesome. :)

And now I'm going to watch a movie, and I hope you have a good evening.

I'll be back tomorrow. Unfortunately. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You're not at all deceitful, and I appreciate your input.
Thank you, friend of mine. :) Angel knows better. She's just let her passion overwhelm our friendship for a moment.

So I'm just back from Liberty Station where I had a terrific slice of pizza topped with butternut squash and roasted brussels sprouts. It was awesome. :)
:think: Not sure about those toppings, but I love San Diego. I recall the Station, though I spent more time in Old Town. Stone Brewing is in that complex, isn't it?

And now I'm going to watch a movie, and I hope you have a good evening.
A movie sounds good. I may do that tomorrow night.

I'll be back tomorrow. Unfortunately. :)
I think it's fair, keeping feet to the fire and whatnot. :eek:

quip

BANNED
Banned
steve-bannon-cover-time.jpg

From this look at Steve Bannon, the following stood out to me:
Sometime in the early 2000s, Bannon was captivated by a book called The Fourth Turning by generational theorists William Strauss and Neil Howe. The book argues that American history can be described in a four-phase cycle, repeated again and again, in which successive generations have fallen into crisis, embraced institutions, rebelled against those institutions and forgotten the lessons of the past--which invites the next crisis. These cycles of roughly 80 years each took us from the revolution to the Civil War, and then to World War II, which Bannon might point out was taking shape 80 years ago. During the fourth turning of the phase, institutions are destroyed and rebuilt.

In an interview with TIME, author Howe recalled that Bannon contacted him more than a decade ago about making a film based on the book. That eventually led to Generation Zero, released in 2010, in which Bannon cast the 2008 financial crisis as a sign that the turning was upon us. Howe agrees with the analysis, in part. In each cycle, the postcrisis generation, in this case the baby boomers, eventually rises to "become the senior leaders who have no memory of the last crisis, and they are always the ones who push us into the next one," Howe said.

But Bannon, who once called himself the "patron saint of commoners," seemed to relish the opportunity to clean out the old order and build a new one in its place, casting the political events of the nation as moments of extreme historical urgency, pivot points for the world. Historian David Kaiser played a featured role in Generation Zero, and he recalls his filmed interview with Bannon as an engrossing and enjoyable experience.

And yet, he told TIME, he was taken aback when Bannon began to argue that the current phase of history foreshadowed a massive new war. "I remember him saying, 'Well, look, you have the American revolution, and then you have the Civil War, which was bigger than the revolution. And you have the Second World War, which was bigger than the Civil War,'" Kaiser said. "He even wanted me to say that on camera, and I was not willing."

Howe, too, was struck by what he calls Bannon's "rather severe outlook on what our nation is going through." Bannon noted repeatedly on his radio show that "we're at war" with radical jihadis in places around the world. This is "a global existential war" that likely will become "a major shooting war in the Middle East again." War with China may also be looming, he has said. This conviction is central to the Breitbart mission, he explained in November 2015: "Our big belief, one of our central organizing principles at the site, is that we're at war."

Bannon is the war hawk that apocalyptic-minded evangelicals have been waiting for, someone who will lead the U.S. into the last battle they're waiting for when they say Maranatha.

Which of the four horseman shall we designate Bannon as?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Speaking of a new transparency...

Kelly Anne Conway Cites Bowling Green Massacre that Never Happened to Defend Travel Ban

During a Thursday interview with MSNBC’s Chris Matthews, the counselor to the president defended President Trump’s travel ban related to seven majority-Muslim countries. At one point, Conway made a reference to two Iraqi refugees whom she described as the masterminds behind “the Bowling Green massacre.”

“Most people don’t know that because it didn’t get covered,” Conway said.

The Bowling Green massacre didn’t get covered because it didn’t happen. There has never been a terrorist attack in Bowling Green, Ky., carried out by Iraqi refugees or anyone else.

Responses were swift and pointed.

"One still shudders to think how bad the Bowling Green massacre would've been if not for the heroic intervention of Fred Douglass."

"Brian Williams won a Purple Heart for his service at the Bowling Green Massacre."

"Finding these Bowling Green Massacre jokes to be a little too soon. Out of respect, we should wait until it takes place."

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Terrorists arrested in Bowling Green: a look back

Hamadi+and+Alwan+image.jpg

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WBKO) - During an investigation in 2010, undercover FBI agents said they had conversations with suspected terrorists Mohanad Hammadi and Waad Alwan as FBI Special Agent David Beyer told 13 News in 2011.

"Our investigation developed information that these two individuals were interested in assisting Al-Qaeda in Iraq."

Hammadi claimed he was arrested in Iraq shortly after planting IEDs in the ground. Alwan claimed he used hundreds of explosives in Iraq and was successful in targeting U.S. troops.

"Specifically they indicated the desire to provide arms, weapons, and money to insurgents in Iraq," said Special Agent Beyer in 2011.

In December of 2011, Alwan pleaded guilty to 23 terrorism related charges, including conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction against U.S. nationals, distributing information on the manufacture and use of IEDs, attempting to provide material support to terrorists and to Al-Qaeda, as well as conspiracy to transfer, possess, and export stinger missiles.

In august of 2012, Hammadi pleaded guilty to 10 charges of conspiring to send weapons, money, and explosives to Al-Qaeda in Iraq. He also pleaded guilty to two counts of lying to the federal government.

In January of 2013, Hammadi was sentenced to life in prison and Alwan got 40 years instead of life as U.S. Attorney David Hale told us in 2013:

"That would've been the sentence the United States would've advocated for, but for his quick and useful cooperation to the government."

Hammadi's attorney, James Earhart, asked for a lesser sentence, but the judge ruled otherwise, as Earhart explained in 2013:

"The court just considered all the facts and gave a sentence that the judge thought was appropriate. He's always very respectful, and very conscientious. You have to respect his judgment. It's just a harsh sentence for a 24-year-old."

A month later in February of 2013, Hammadi asked an appeals court to reduce his prison sentence.

In December of that year, a federal appeals court upheld the life sentence and ruled there was no government misconduct in the case of Hammadi.

The case continued in April of 2015 as Hammadi said he was misrepresented by his court-appointed attorney and asked a judge to throw out or correct the sentence.

In December of 2016, the judge denied that request and dismissed the case with prejudice meaning it is dismissed permanently.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, that was what Kelly Anne said she meant to speak to, after the backlash rolled in. She didn't mean that the media had failed to cover a massacre in Bowling Green masterminded by two Iraqis. No, she meant two Iraqis were arrested in Bowling Green, unconnected to any massacre on our soil, whose arrest was widely publicized at the time by the media.

Just screams "honest mistake". :plain:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, that was what Kelly Anne said she meant to speak to, after the backlash rolled in. She didn't mean that the media had failed to cover a massacre in Bowling Green masterminded by two Iraqis. No, she meant two Iraqis were arrested in Bowling Green, unconnected to any massacre on our soil, whose arrest was widely publicized at the time by the media.

Just screams "honest mistake". :plain:

Alternative fact from the Bannon regime.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Anyone who appreciates clarity, irony, and nuance. So, the people who didn't vote for Trump, mostly. :eek:

All the cuckservatives can hate Trump all they want- it makes our job easier and exposes them. The biggest reason for the Right losing in the first place is because of these people, not liberals. You think liberals and their insane, fanatical, lying, slandering crap just takes over on it's own?
:nono: You retards usher the door.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Trump: We’re Gutting Dodd-Frank Because My Friends Can’t Get Loans

“We have some of the bankers here. There’s nobody better to tell me about Dodd-Frank than Jamie, so you’re going to tell me about it,” Trump said, referring to Jamie Dimon, the JPMorgan Chase CEO and leader of Trump's business roundtable.

“We expect to be cutting a lot out of Dodd-Frank, because frankly I have so many people, friends of mine, that have nice businesses and they can’t borrow money,” he continued. “They just can’t get any money because the banks just won’t let them borrow because of the rules and regulations in Dodd-Frank. So we'll be talking about that in terms of the banking industry.”

I was going to reply to one of your Time Magazine/Bannon posts but this ties in to what I was going to say also...

I heard an interview about Bannon with someone from Time and one thing I thought was interesting is that Bannon was critical of how banks got off the hook during the financial crisis. His father's retirement took a major hit and the banking CEOs got off clean. I think they even said Bannon used to be a Democrat. I just looked him up on Wiki and it says his parents at least were Democrats. His criticism of the banking industry could make him more in line with someone like Bernie. It is also evidence that Bannon's influence with Trump only goes so far. Bannon may not be on board with the Dodd-Frank reversals or some of the appointments that Trump has made. Bannon's influence is more on the foreign policy/immigration side.

Beyond that, the person being interviewed also said that he doesn't see Bannon as being a white supremacist or anti-semite but that Bannon has used their energy and motivation.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
DeVos Apparently Plagiarized Parts Of Her Responses To Senate Questionnaire

Betsy DeVos, President Donald Trump's pick to be secretary of education, apparently lifted entire phrases and sentences from sources without attribution in her written responses to a questionnaire from the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.
The Washington Post first flagged the phrasing similarities on Tuesday.

Oh, the irony of a Secretary of Education plagiarizing responses...

I'm anxious to see if another Republican will flip sides to vote against her. I heard that if it stands as is then it will be split and VP Pence would get the deciding vote and obviously he'll put her through.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Continuing...Still, it has a high bar to clear in court. It’s not just a question of proving Trump violated the Constitution. The lawyers must prove their client, the Center for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, has been directly injured by what they argue are Trump’s unconstitutional actions.

A point that will be the most likely objection in response? What form might damage take?

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the plaintiff in the case, argues that it has standing because Trump’s conflicts of interest and his possible violation of the emoluments clause have been very time-consuming for their organization. The lawsuit describes CREW as besieged by questions from the media about Trump’s business interests.​

Answering those questions, according to the lawsuit, took time and resources away from the organization’s other work, including tracking potential violations of campaign finance law, filing comments on proposed regulations, and analyzing nonprofits’ tax forms.

The Supreme Court accepted this reasoning as standing enough to sue in a fair housing case in 1982, but some legal experts are skeptical. - Vox, supra
That seems like a weak argument. Nothing forced them to spend their resources on those questions.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I read somewhere (sorry, can't remember where at the moment) that the demographic breakdown shows that older (65+) Americans were more likely to view the regulation of Muslims positively, so it would be interesting to see the poll's age breakdown.
I'd like to see that too.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
You’re Not Crazy, The Leaks Coming Out Of The Trump Admin Really Are YUGE

Many of these unflattering details about the turmoil at the White House and inner psychology of the President have come from a steady stream of anonymous leaks. Presidential historians and veteran political journalists agree they’re unlike anything they’ve seen before.

“I can’t recall having seen a situation where there appears to be so much leaking of such an intimate nature in such a short period of time,” Russell Riley, expert on presidential history at the University of Virginia’s Miller Center, told TPM.

“I think typically there is an enormous amount of care on the part of the White House staff not to do anything to undermine the President,” he added.

Bill Keller, the longtime former editor of The New York Times and current editor-in-chief of the Marshall Project, said he’d seen “nothing remotely like” the leaks coming out of the Trump White House over the course of his career.​

I heard a media person talking about the leaks and he was saying that in a way he loves them because journalists live on info like that but it's also dangerous because if the leaks only provide partial information then it could end up being more misleading than if nothing was said at all.