The long nightmare has just begun: Inauguration of a fraud.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
How Trump’s actions and tone affect US alliances and perception on global stage
Trump’s foreign policy approach has stunned observers, but recent weeks have underscored potential ramifications of his loose rhetoric and abrupt policy shifts

In less than 140 characters, Donald Trump had left the chairman of the Senate foreign relations committee speechless.

Senator Bob Corker, a Republican from Tennessee, could barely mask his disbelief when reporters on Capitol Hill informed him of tweets in which Trump accused Qatar, a close US ally, of being a state sponsor of terrorism. “The president?” Corker asked, lowering his register.

It was not until Corker read the tweets from one reporter’s cellphone that he appeared to process the information. And even as Corker, once on the shortlist to be Trump’s secretary of state, sought to emphasize the American tradition of working with all of its Gulf state allies, his words gave way to prolonged moments of silence.

Since taking office in January, Trump has repeatedly stunned observers both at home and abroad with his irreverence for American foreign policy norms and unconventional approach to relations with allies and foes alike. But recent weeks have underscored, even according to some within his own party, the potential ramifications of the president’s loose rhetoric and abrupt policy shifts.

The past few weeks alone brought a number of diplomatic fissures.

During his first foreign trip as president, Trump refused to reaffirm the US’s commitment to Nato’s Article 5 – the principle of collective defense – and ignored the pleas of allies at the G7 summit in Sicily by withdrawing from the landmark Paris climate accord upon his return to the Washington.

Then he responded to the terrorist attack on London Bridge with tweeted attacks on city mayor Sadiq Khan, misquoting his words, and waded into a fraught dispute among Gulf monarchies, seemingly taking credit for Saudi Arabia’s decision to isolate Qatar, which houses a major US military base and 10,000 troops.

“I’ve said a number of times – it’d be easier if Trump wasn’t tweeting so much,” said Jeff Flake, an Arizona Republican and a member of the Senate foreign relations committee. “In terms of foreign policy, this is going to have serious consequences.”​

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I keep remembering this quote I saved:

"Raise your hand if you're a late Cold War kid continually re-surprised by some American conservatives' new affinity for an ex-KGB strongman."

the operative part being "ex", as in former, prior, of yore...

iow, the soviet union is a thing of the past, anna

live in the now :thumb:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
It is brave words, since she lost the election but predicted she would win by a landslide.

Interesting, since the current occupant claims he won in a landslide--but he did not. Just another of his narcissistic lies.
And did you catch the "Oh my, Donald I love you so much" Cabinet meeting today? Appears none of his chosen ones have the courage to tell him he is a jerk.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Interesting, since the current occupant claims he won in a landslide--but he did not. Just another of his narcissistic lies.
And did you catch the "Oh my, Donald I love you so much" Cabinet meeting today? Appears none of his chosen ones have the courage to tell him he is a jerk.
You are still in shock that he
takeabow.gif
WON
takeabow.gif
, aren't ya?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
You are still in shock that he
takeabow.gif
WON
takeabow.gif
, aren't ya?

Sure I am in shock. Hard to believe my fellow Americans could fall for his schtick. He has been a liar since day 1. His promises to his base will turn out to be unmet.
And he does not care. As long as there are enough boot lickers and brown nosers around him he will be a happy camper (see recent Cabinet meeting). His administration and presidency is spending all of its time defending his, and the House's, dumb actions. The only thing of substance he has accomplished is to get Gorsuch on the Court and to do that the Senate had to change its rules. The House Republican health plan is in flames, the Republicans in the Senate are working on their version in secret, tax reform, if it ever happens, will make sure those in Trump's position make out great and the rest of us can just go suck eggs. He walked away from the Paris agreement, leaving leadership to the Chinese and Europe, because climate change is a hoax? Yet the scientific and business consensus is otherwise. Even business leaders in the fossil fuel industry think that was a stupid and ignorant move.
France and England seem to have reconsidered any Trumpian populist movement.
But Mueller now appears to be following the $. Let's see where that leads. If there is something there it is likely to come to light, if not then The Donald could bring this all to a halt by giving us his tax returns, by instructing his staff to cooperate fully. What do you think the chances are of that? And why?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Sure I am in shock. Hard to believe my fellow Americans could fall for his schtick. He has been a liar since day 1. His promises to his base will turn out to be unmet.
And he does not care. As long as there are enough boot lickers and brown nosers around him he will be a happy camper (see recent Cabinet meeting). His administration and presidency is spending all of its time defending his, and the House's, dumb actions. The only thing of substance he has accomplished is to get Gorsuch on the Court and to do that the Senate had to change its rules. The House Republican health plan is in flames, the Republicans in the Senate are working on their version in secret, tax reform, if it ever happens, will make sure those in Trump's position make out great and the rest of us can just go suck eggs. He walked away from the Paris agreement, leaving leadership to the Chinese and Europe, because climate change is a hoax? Yet the scientific and business consensus is otherwise. Even business leaders in the fossil fuel industry think that was a stupid and ignorant move.
But Mueller now appears to be following the $. Let's see where that leads. If there is something there it is likely to come to light, if not then The Donald could bring this all to a halt by giving us his tax returns, by instructing his staff to cooperate fully. What do you think the chances are of that? And why?

all that and trump's still a better president than hillary would have been! :banana:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Agree with all of the above, though I will add that the main reason he ran was to get even with Obama for publicly humiliating him (over his birtherism lie) at the White House Correspondents' Dinner ...