The Heretics Message to the World:Be Baptized to be Saved! (HOF thread)

rene

Your question doesn't answer the reality of what you have been supporting and making statements about.

You follow the words of Jesus and what He taught - or you into the buffet approach to the gospel where you get to pick and choose what it is that you are going to do?

What is it, 'Jesus said it and that settles it - unless it doesn't agree with what I want to follow'?

And hon, Jesus didn't just teach of baptism in Mark.

c.moore

Did Jesus baptized any one ??

isn`t the baptism the award work of the spiritual and we being in the spirit in Christ??

You are making another gospel saying or misinterpretating the scripture to mean a baptism of water gospel and getting wet saves.
that is not what Rom 10:9, and 10 explains

rene

Your side stepping.

Do you follow the teachings of Jesus? What He practiced and followed within His own life? What He told His disciples? What they practiced in their ministry of taking the gospel of Jesus to the world?

Who's words you follow??

Rene

c.moore

Originally posted by rene

Your side stepping.

Do you follow the teachings of Jesus? What He practiced and followed within His own life? What He told His disciples? What they practiced in their ministry of taking the gospel of Jesus to the world?

Who's words you follow??

Rene

You are forgetting that Jesus was alive at that time meaning they were still under the old covernant and laws.

No wounder Paul said he is glad he baptized none of you, because he didn`t come to bring a baptize gospel but the good gospel of Christ whích isn`t a watered down gospel to get salvation.

rene

Look at YOUR WORDS and the words of those that you supported and are in relationship with in that stand.

You can see those words and compare them to the Jesus. You can see where they go DIRECTLY against what Jesus spoke and taught, thus not in support of Jesus. Relationship of one that does such?

What you seem to want to forget is such.

c.moore

Look at YOUR WORDS and the words of those that you supported and are in relationship with in that stand.

You can see those words and compare them to the Jesus. You can see where they go DIRECTLY against what Jesus spoke and taught, thus not in support of Jesus. Relationship of one that does such?

What you seem to want to forget is such.

DFo think the Lord will contradict His own Word??:doh:

rene

What I have been seeing within this thread are comments that go directly against the words spoken by Jesus and instead follow their own personal views.

Which words bring eternal life, relationship with God the words of Jesus? or what you and those like you want to teach?

What does the bible teach about those that add/take away from the teachings as given? What sort of relationship does God have with such - as found within the bible?

What type of theology picks certain verses only if they support what they want to teach and ignore the verses that state what they don't want to follow? What kind of person is it that does such?

Rene

c.moore

What I have been seeing within this thread are comments that go directly against the words spoken by Jesus and instead follow their own personal views.

Which words bring eternal life, relationship with God the words of Jesus? or what you and those like you want to teach?

What does the bible teach about those that add/take away from the teachings as given? What sort of relationship does God have with such - as found within the bible?

What type of theology picks certain verses only if they support what they want to teach and ignore the verses that state what they don't want to follow? What kind of person is it that does such?

Rene

People like these RENE.

Church of Christ WATER BAPTISM AND SALVATION:

A Response to the Teaching of the Church of Christ
By Keith Johnson

What must one do in order to be saved? This is an essential question. Some churches known as the Churches of Christ (particularly those associated with the Chicago and Boston Churches of Christ) aggressively teach that unless one believes in Christ and is baptized in their church for the forgiveness of sins, then he or she can not be saved. This paper is a response to the assertion that water baptism is a condition for salvation. First, I will present four arguments the Church of Christ commonly uses to teach that Baptism is a necessary condition for salvation. The material I will present in the first section comes from three sources: a book called "What's Baptism All About?" by Herbert Mjord (who is a Church of Christ minister), an evangelistic tract by the Sycamore Church of Christ, and my personal experience from talking with members of the Church of Christ.

To fairly represent the viewpoint held to by the Church of Christ I will present their arguments as they would without initially critiquing them. This will necessitate me making assertions that I may not agree with. However, I will respond to these arguments in the second section of the paper. In addition I am using endnotes, not to cite references, but to aid the reader by expanding or clarifying points I will make. The purpose of this paper is to answer one question: Is water baptism a necessary condition for salvation?

ARGUMENTS IN SUPPORT OF WATER BAPTISM AS A CONDITION FOR SALVATION (AS PRESENTED BY REPRESENTATIVES OF THE CHURCH OF CHRIST)
I. First, one advocating this view would argue as follows: The consistent pattern recorded in the book of Acts with regard to baptism was this: Unbelievers heard the gospel and were immediately baptized when they responded with faith. Peter told a group of people who responded to his sermon (Acts 2:38), "Repent and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus..." In Acts 2:41 it records, "So then, those who had received his word were baptized..." Another example of this is Acts 8:12 "But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike." Later in Acts 8 Philip preached the gospel to an Ethiopian eunuch. In response to the gospel message the eunuch said (v. 36b), "Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?" Acts 10 recorded Peter's first ministry to Gentiles. After sharing the gospel message with a Gentile named Cornelius and seeing him receive the Holy Spirit, Peter said (v. 47), "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"

Paul also continued this practice in his ministry. His first convert in Europe was a woman named Lydia who lived in Philippi. Acts 16:14b records, "...the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul." Verse 15 records that she was "immediately baptized." The same is true for the Philippian jailer (Acts 16:30-33). He, "immediately was baptized, he and all his household." Other examples include Acts 19:3-5 and Acts 22:16. The thrust of these verses is best stated by Mjord: "No one is counted a Christian in the book of Acts until he is baptized." (pg. 24) Next, one holding this view would probably argue the following.

II. The Apostles included the necessity of water baptism in their gospel presentation, making it a necessary condition for salvation. One believing baptism is necessary for salvation would argue that people were not baptized because they were already Christians but to become Christians. Consider the application of Peter's first evangelistic message in Acts 2:38. He said, "Repent and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins...." Peter didn't say be baptized because you are a Christian, but be baptized so that your sins may be forgiven making water baptism necessary for salvation. Other examples of this include Acts 10:48; 19:1-7; and 22:16.

III. Next a Church of Christ representative might argue that Jesus himself made water baptism a necessary condition for salvation. In his commission to his disciples in Mark 16:15-16 Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved..." Here Jesus himself said that one must be baptized in order to be saved. Jesus didn't say that belief alone results in salvation but that faith accompanied by baptism brings salvation.1 Jesus also alluded to the need for baptism in John 3:5 in his evangelistic message to Nicodemus. he states: "Truly, truly I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." One who believes this would argue that the phrase "of water" was a reference to water baptism and making baptism a condition for being born again.

IV. Finally, one holding this view would argue that the Bible describes baptism as conferring the benefits of salvation. They would assert that writers like Paul described baptism as conferring the benefits of salvation (Rom 6:4,5; Col 2:12-13; Gal 3:27). Mjord states exactly this (pg. 25): "Because baptism is a means of grace, it confers the sure mercies of Jesus Christ to those who have faith. Then all that is associated with baptism belongs to the believer." Mjord argues that I Peter 3:21 is an example of this: "And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a clear conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." Mjord states (pg. 18), "Peter is saying that baptism saves you when you have a clear conscience through the resurrection of Jesus. One can have a clear conscience through Christ only when one believes in Jesus Christ as his Savior and Lord."
Paul also connected the necessity of water baptism with salvation in Romans 6. In verses 3 and 4 he wrote, "Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead...so we too might walk in newness of life." Paul's readers would have understood this to be a reference to water baptism. They would think about the day they were baptized (and came to know Christ) and were given new life from their baptism in water. They wouldn't think that being immersed in water alone brought salvation but that being baptized accompanied by faith brought them into new life in Christ.

In summary a representative of the Church of Christ would argue that the New Testament writers and Jesus taught that water baptism was a necessary condition for one to be saved. What follows is my response to this position. Before I will respond to these four arguments I will present three preliminary arguments that form an essential context for evaluating water baptism and salvation.

ARGUMENTS IN SUPPORT OF FAITH ALONE, APART FROM WATER BAPTISM, AS A NECESSARY AND SUFFICIENT CONDITION FOR SALVATION
I. The Greek word bapt i zw, that we often translate "baptize," is used in a variety of ways in the New Testament. According to BAGD bapt i zw means to "dip, immerse, or wash."2 bapt i zw is used of Jewish ritual washings (Mark 7:4), the baptizing done by John the Baptist (Mat. 3:6-17), and Christian baptism (Matt. 28:18-20' Acts 2:38,41). In addition bapt i zw also has a number of figurative uses. In Luke 12:50 Jesus said, "but I have a baptism to be baptized with..." referring to the suffering he would experience. In Matt. 3:11 John contrasted his baptism (with water) and the "baptism by fire" (figurative use) that Jesus would bring. Acts 1:5 and 2:1-13 records that this "baptism" took place at Pentecost when the Holy Spirit was given. I Cor. 12:13 also used baptism (figuratively pointing to the work of the Holy Spirit).

This all demonstrates that language is flexible. The fact that bapt i zw had a variety of meanings is an essential starting point in our discussion. It implies that the meaning of bapt i zw must be determined by the context. Yet this is where the Church of Christ often errs--assuming that every reference to bapt i zw must have been a reference to water baptism.3 For sake of clarity, when I use the word baptism I will be referring to water baptism by immersion, unless otherwise noted.4

II. The question at hand is not, "Does baptism accompanied by faith in Christ result in salvation?" Both sides agree that it does. The question rather is this: Is water baptism a necessary condition for salvation such that faith, without water baptism, means that one can not be saved? The Church of Christ would also agree that faith is a necessary condition for salvation but not a sufficient condition.5

III. To determine whether water baptism is a necessary condition for salvation one must study salvation not baptism. The importance of this can be illustrated as follows. Imagine that one was studying Luke 18:18-23. A rich young ruler said to Jesus, "'Good teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?' And Jesus said to him, 'You know the commandments...'" Jesus then listed five of the ten commandments and told the ruler to sell all his possessions. This appears to teach salvation by works. Imagine that someone concludes then that he or she must study all the passages in the Bible on good works. Consider James 2:14-26. James said (v. 14), "What use is it, my brethren, if a man says he has faith, but he has no works? Can that faith save him?" In verse 24 James continued, "You see that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone. " After studying these and related passages on good works one might conclude that salvation results from faith plus good works.

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/Baptism/D6.htm

rene

Bubba, you can attempt to divert - but that doesn't change the facts.

YOU claim to follow Jesus - but when shown where Jesus teaches opposite of what you promote - - you call this what??

What is a person that claims that they follow the teachings of another, claims that they somehow are a 'teacher', praised another that was following in the very same path as you - and reject the words of Jesus?

Before jumping out and pointing fingers at anything else - lets address the point that has been made repeatedly, that you and your buddy try to sidestep and claims that your view of teaching is evidently better than the words of Jesus, the Son of God.

Rene

c.moore

Bubba, you can attempt to divert - but that doesn't change the facts.

YOU claim to follow Jesus - but when shown where Jesus teaches opposite of what you promote - - you call this what??

What is a person that claims that they follow the teachings of another, claims that they somehow are a 'teacher', praised another that was following in the very same path as you - and reject the words of Jesus?

Before jumping out and pointing fingers at anything else - lets address the point that has been made repeatedly, that you and your buddy try to sidestep and claims that your view of teaching is evidently better than the words of Jesus, the Son of God.

Rene

It is not a matter of following somebody but it is a matter of dividing the truth which you must learn to discern and find bible principles.

You try to support a wet gospel that supose to be a working plan for salvation , which is your gospel of works , and you cancel out the grace by your baptismo work for salvation.
You also believe it or not and this is the truth that you make the cross not an finish work of Christ so I would check your information or your gospel first before trying to claim what is true or what is not true.

rene

What I see "dividing" is that you don't seem to like what Jesus said about baptism. You don't want to follow such. You don't want to teach such. Even in the reply above, you discount His teachings - yet again.

So, just what does that make you and what is it that you follow? What are those that do as you have given ample example of to the teachings of Jesus? Since you discount a teaching of Jesus, just what is the gospel that you do teach/follow/promote?

Rene

c.moore

Rene

It is all about the finish work of the cross paid in full by Christ not a wet water down work it out gospel .
It is not about how you twist the truth to fit your doctrine of an added salvation ritual.

try to understand the spiritual salvation plan of Christ which counts in heaven and in the Kingdom of God.

try to understand what all the blood of Jesus has done for us already , and what is the meaning of believing and trusting Christ means and you might see the truth here.

God Bless

rene

How can you be following the teachings of someone and reject what they have taught? their very words?

It is all about following the teachings of Jesus. The truth that He shared with mankind that can and is found within the bible. His instructions are what you are stumbling upon.

You don't agree with His instructions. Your choice. My hope is that you will come to understand just what it means when you do such, that you turn from such, and follow the teachings of the one you say you follow.

c.moore

IV. Finally, one holding this view would argue that the Bible describes baptism as conferring the benefits of salvation. They would assert that writers like Paul described baptism as conferring the benefits of salvation (Rom 6:4,5; Col 2:12-13; Gal 3:27). Mjord states exactly this (pg. 25): "Because baptism is a means of grace, it confers the sure mercies of Jesus Christ to those who have faith. Then all that is associated with baptism belongs to the believer." Mjord argues that I Peter 3:21 is an example of this: "And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a clear conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." Mjord states (pg. 18), "Peter is saying that baptism saves you when you have a clear conscience through the resurrection of Jesus. One can have a clear conscience through Christ only when one believes in Jesus Christ as his Savior and Lord."
Paul also connected the necessity of water baptism with salvation in Romans 6. In verses 3 and 4 he wrote, "Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Therefore we have been buried with him through baptism into death, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead...so we too might walk in newness of life." Paul's readers would have understood this to be a reference to water baptism. They would think about the day they were baptized (and came to know Christ) and were given new life from their baptism in water. They wouldn't think that being immersed in water alone brought salvation but that being baptized accompanied by faith brought them into new life in Christ.

JustAChristian

How Water Baptism is Essential for Salvation.

How Water Baptism is Essential for Salvation.

Originally posted by c.moore

c. moore,

I want to show you how you are missing the essentiality for water baptism. In the closing part of Gal. 3:27, Paul states that in water baptism we "put on Christ." Again we come to understand this as symbolism. This can not be accomplished in Holy Spirit baptism, for the Spirit would be putting on us. We would not be putting on Christ. Let me use a very simple illustration which all should be able to understand. Until a person puts on his coat, he is out of the coat. Once he has put the coat on, he is in the coat. Just so it is in our relation to Christ. We are out of Christ until we put Christ on, and Paul plainly states that we put Christ on in baptism. Therefore, until one is baptized "into Christ" he is out of Christ, because he has not put Christ on! He can not be in the family of God (Acts 2:47). I can hardly see how anyone can possibly misunderstand such plain and simple language, and yet there are thousands like you, who seemingly cannot understand this. Why is this so? It is because they shout long and loud that water baptism is not essential to salvation when Jesus and His apostles illustrates its importants so simply.

You talk of the "finished work of Christ" without consideration of the work at all. You miss the whole point of the Lord's coming. He gave us a plan whereby we could be cleansed of sins. That is by faith in the symbolic washing in His blood through water baptism (Read Romans 6:3-5).

JustAChristian:angel:

c.moore

JAC

You are still adding a working merit plan to the grace and salvation message.
It are making the free salvation plan of Christ of a half way effect of the cross, and saying we need to help Christ finish His work.

rene

YOU are still dancing around facing up to the words spoken by Jesus.

Do you follow His teaching - or your own view?

c.moore

YOU are still dancing around facing up to the words spoken by Jesus.

Do you follow His teaching - or your own view?

That what I do is follow Jesus , and not follow a person twisted revelation on a added gospel, and trying to qualify for heaven by relgious works, and rituals.

Any one can twist the bible to say what they want to legalize their doctrines.

Even satan himself used Psalms 91 on Jesus to try to get Him to jump from the temple and angels shoild protect Him .

But thank God He knew the deep meaning of the scriptures in not being decieved biblically like many are today by satans religious demons.

God Bless

JustAChristian

C. says I am adding.....

C. says I am adding.....

Originally posted by c.moore

JAC

You are still adding a working merit plan to the grace and salvation message.
It are making the free salvation plan of Christ of a half way effect of the cross, and saying we need to help Christ finish His work.

C.,

I haven't added a thing. Read 1 Cor. 14:37. Christ gave us the plan. We have to obey the plan. Only then is the work finished that Christ meant for us to do. The plan is to believe Christ is the Son of God (John 8:24), repent of sins (Luke 13:3), confess Christ before man (Matthew 10:32-33), be baptized for the remission of sins (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38), and walk in newness of life (Romans 6:3-5). This will lead us to eternal life (Rev. 2:10). See, I haven't added a thing! Have a great rest of the day!

JustAChristian

rene

Here are some spoken by Jesus and those that followed and shared His teachings:

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Act 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

The significance of baptism as shown within scripture:

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

1Pe 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

Examples of baptism from the bible:

Believers at Pentecost, Acts w:41
Converts in Samaria, Acts 8:12
The Ethiopian Eunuch, Acts 8:38
Saul of Tarsus, Acts 9:18
Lydia of Thyatira, Acts 16:15
Philippian Jailer and Household, Acts 16:33
Believers in Corinth, Acts 18:8
Ephesian Disciples, Acts 19:5

Diverting from the teaching taught by Jesus and found being followed, shared with, and practiced with those that they came in contact within the bible with claims of "minor" of the very words of JESUS more than calls into question claims that someone is saying that they follow but use the buffet approach to pick what they want from the gospel. Those sort of actions do NOT reflect one following. It shows one that picks what they want to do. That such has been done by one that claims to share the 'gospel' - it does make me wonder what 'gospel' it is that they follow since the words of Jesus are minor in their view. Keyword there is their view.

When ones view isn't in line with what is within the scripture, suggestions that the teachings of Jesus are minor - - what is a person that does such? Who are they really following?

It doesn't matter what you or I think if it suggests something within the bible said by Jesus Himself is minor. Not if one really is a Christian, really is following Jesus.

Claims of Christianity does not make one a Christian. Following His words, His teachings, not picking and making choice of which ones - THAT is a Christian. You have to follow Him - or your not in relationship.

NONE of the teachings of Jesus is "minor". Not to a Christian.