ECT The Grace of God. Is it merited or unmerited?

God's Truth

I notice you avoid the message with a 10 foot pole, and go right back to eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Revelation 2:7 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

God's Truth

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
Romans 3:27

You are ignoring the scriptures that I gave that prove Paul was NOT SAVED the moment he believed!!! Please address that.

You merely give another scripture, a scripture that I can prove you do not understand.

The Jews could 'boast' in circumcision---and the OTHER purification/ceremonial works.

WE CAN BOAST in obeying! It is not wrong and evil to say you obey God and to preach obedience to Christ!

Who has blinded you into thinking it was wrong?

2 Corinthians 1:12 Now this is our boast: Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, with integrity and godly sincerity. We have done so, relying not on worldly wisdom but on God's grace.

The boasting no one can do anymore is about the ceremonial/purification works the Jews USED to have to do...circumcise, etc...

Galatians 6:13 Not even those who are circumcised keep the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your circumcision in the flesh.

Philippians 3:3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh--

Did you read that scripture?

It says no confidence in the flesh---as in no confidence in the ceremonial/purification works---CIRCUMCISION.

God's Truth

What evil it is to shame others for obeying and then call it self righteousness and wrongful boasting!

That is what Cain's heart had...jealousy over Abel's obedience.

Who here wants to shut me up from preaching how good it is to obey and do right?

God's Truth

By Paul's own words...he was what he was because of the Grace of God and he did what he did because of that Grace. In fact he goes so far to say that it was the Grace of God that did it.

For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed.

I Corinthians 15:9-11

Of course, God is the one who saves us!

However, you are missing the point of the Sword, and that is that God saves those who obey.

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him."

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Address what the scriptures say!

Paul was the least of the apostles but he STILL HAD TO do what Jesus said to do BEFORE HE WAS SAVED.

Acts 9:5 "Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked. "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting," he replied.

6 but get up and enter the city, and it will be told you what you must do."…

Did you read that?

Jesus says I will tell you what you must do!

JonahofAkron

Scripture for which part, the second part being a question?

Heb 2:10-11 KJV

Oh, and BTW: it is learnig obedience we are talking about and not your Sunday school quarterly.
I don't see what you're trying to prove in that verse. Being made perfect in suffering is the legal standing that He did. Bringing upon Himself the weight of our sins and being without sin, His suffering and death ends His life on our behalf and finalizes His ability to withstand sin. If He dies without sinning, His legal standing is perfection. Nothing there about learning to be obedient, dude.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

Cross Reference

Yes we receive the unearned gift of eternal life by choosing to trust in and sow to the Holy Spirit. Choosing to depend on a gift still makes it a gift.

No. We receive the gift UNTO eternal life. One cannot begin the journey home until he has been born again after he has first received the gift..The choice being ours.

Jamie Gigliotti

You are claiming grace that saves is a reward for a meritorious decision.

Not . . .

Grace is not a reward earned. Grace is being brought into spiritual union with the Christ of God, whose very essence is grace. John 1:14

And only God can work that miracle!
The decision to repent continue to trust God and in increasing measure is the condtions to receive what we do not deserve.

We all desrve the darkest of Hells.

Eagles Wings

"Remain humble, even when God is blessing and using you most. Remember when you have your best suit on, who made it and who paid for it. God's favor is neither the work of your own hands nor the price of your own worth. How can you boast of what you did not buy?"

(The Christian in Complete Armour, William Gurnall, 1616-1679)

Cross Reference

"But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." James 4:6 (KJV)

What does it mean, MORE grace when you all believe one shot is enough to seal you to His salvation, which is all you want anyway, irrespective of what God wants?

Do you really believe one shot will keep you though your periods of temptation that will tear you down as it did Adam?

Eagles Wings

"But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." James 4:6 (KJV)

What does it mean, MORE grace when you all believe one shot is enough to seal you to His salvation, which is all you want anyway, irrespective of what God wants?

Do you really believe one shot will keep you though your periods of temptation that will tear you down as it did Adam?
I don't know of any Reformed teaching that talks about "one shot".

As an adopted child of my Heavenly Father, I am ever running to Him and enjoying friendship with Him. Through the Holy Spirit, I am ever guided and comforted and definitely admonished to stay close during trials and temptations.

God's Truth

"Remain humble, even when God is blessing and using you most. Remember when you have your best suit on, who made it and who paid for it. God's favor is neither the work of your own hands nor the price of your own worth. How can you boast of what you did not buy?"

(The Christian in Complete Armour, William Gurnall, 1616-1679)

You just proved that you listen to the false teaching of men and go against the truth.

Tell me, does God tell you to humble yourself?

Yes, God tells us to humble ourselves.

Cross Reference

If God's grace is unmerited, why doesn't God give grace to the "proud"?

Last edited: