ECT The Gospel Proper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoh

They insist on trying to follow the law because the have failed to rightly divide! They see the entire New Testament as having a single audience. There's no way for them not to be entangled in the law.

It's as if Acts 21 doesn't exist. Acts 21 is where it's plainly stated that the Jews were still sealous for the law and followed it but that the Gentiles were to "observe no such thing". This passage baffles them. Most Christians don't even know it exists even though they've read it several times. It's sort of invisible somehow, as is Galatians 2:9. The bible couldn't state more plainly that there are two seperate groups being ministered to in the first century but they do not see it and, as a result, they are up to their necks in all kinds of legalism, including 'lordship salvation', salvation by water baptism, sabbath observance, tithing, avoidance of pork and catfish, you name it. Of course some people go further down that road than others but it's all the same road.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Also lost in translation to such is their erroneous conclusion that Mid-Acts is asserting the Body was just Gentiles.

No MAD I have ever heard, read, or spoken to - and there have been many, many of them over the years - has ever asserted that.

Not a one.

But, it is what it is, when it comes to what non-mads continue to erroneously conclude about what mads actually hold on one thing or another, no matter how many years now mads have attempted to point out, otherwise, when confronted with the errors of such individuals.

There is...no reasoning with such.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Danoh

:think:

Well, I didn't pick this back up because I suddenly got interested in debating it with you. Besides, the others here have proven the point over and over already.

My primary purpose for engaging again was to point out that you were insisting on someone answering a question that presupposed your own premise. That's called begging the question and it is a tactic used by those who aren't on the firmest of ground.

The rest of your argument is based solely on proof-texting your opponents to death and nothing they say in response, nor any of there own proof texts are permitted to penetrate through your "water baptism saves" colored lenses.

What it boils down for me is the fact that water baptisms, of which there were many, were CLEARLY a prominent part of the Law and thus of the previous dispensation, at least so far as getting saved is concerned. But if you want to get wet, then have at it. As for me, getting wet is nothing and staying dry is nothing. I am saved because of what I believe, not because of a religious ritual.

Clete

Yep - never mind the actual sense of and or timing of Mark 16:16's "shall be saved."

But one can not rightly divide the Scripture on a thing if one is not familiar with the WHOLE of Scripture on it, to begin with.

2 Tim. 3:16, 17; 2 Tim. 2:15.

Danoh

I'm applying it to how a Christian is converted. That's what we're talking about right? HOW one is added.

This doesn't explain nor show exactly how one is baptized BY the Spirit into the body. God has given us several conversions so we can read and understand. Could you use one of those and show me how one is baptized BY the Spirit into the body?

Given that just about every translation (of the following passage) out there gets the actual sense of what it is saying wrong, it is just as likely to go right past your head as well, but here goes...

"...how one is baptized BY the Spirit into the body" is "through the faith of the operation of God." Col. 2:12b

Last edited:

Danoh

MADists don't 'practice communion' either, since that's New Covenant, and they think the New Covenant has been 'paused' or something like that. I think they understand 1st Corinthians chapter 11 to be incidental somehow.

Very few MADs do not practice communion - very, very few.

Likewise as to the understanding of the New Covenant - very, very few within Mid-Acts hold the view on that that the very few do.

Such is the case on one thing or another within any school of thought within Christianity, in general, including your own, I'm sure.

Rom. 5:6-8.

Danoh

Are you saying what I posted is incorrect?

Merely that Christ and Paul both emphasized an attitude of taking up of one's cross, or a willing, conscious denial of self, for the joy set before one - in light, of course, of the "instruction in righteousness" as to that kind of a thing, either group each had their particular instruction on.

Here is some...of Paul's Christ given perspective on said attitude.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

As I'd noted in my previous post, the principle is the same in both Christ's and in Paul's words on that, while the intent and application differs in each.

glorydaz

Merely that Christ and Paul both emphasized an attitude of taking up of one's cross, or a willing, conscious denial of self, for the joy set before one - in light, of course, of the "instruction in righteousness" as to that kind of a thing, either group each had their particular instruction on.

Here is some...of Paul's Christ given perspective on said attitude.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Galatians 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Galatians 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

As I'd noted in my previous post, the principle is the same in both Christ's and in Paul's words on that, while the intent and application differs in each.

I'm not seeing any similarity. None of those verses speak of our doing anything by our own power...such as taking up one's cross. All of those verses are what is done to us and for us. While, I might add, we rest in HIM.

glorydaz

Likewise as to the understanding of the New Covenant - very, very few within Mid-Acts hold the view on that that the very few do.

Such is the case on one thing or another within any school of thought within Christianity, in general, including your own, I'm sure.

Danoh, what makes you think you have any idea about what other MADs practice? Or who the "very few" are? (There are a whole lot of people who understand Mid-Acts.) This bit of presumption really doesn't become you.

Yes, I know, you don't like to be doubted. But, I doubt you know all you think you do.

You have plenty of good things to share without going overboard....just saying.

Danoh

I'm not seeing any similarity. None of those verses speak of our doing anything by our own power...such as taking up one's cross. All of those verses are what is done to us and for us. While, I might add, we rest in HIM.

The instruction to standfast in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free is an instruction about doing something - about choosing to standfast in what has been accomplished in us and on our behalf, to His glory.

Just as Paul's "look at the things which are not seen" is about one's willingly choosing to do so, in contrast to one's choosing, instead, to look "at the things that are seen."

As is his assertion that we "walk by faith, and not by sight."

Paul repeatedly emphasizes a doing on the part of the Believer.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

And so on...

Here, an entire chapter of doing on the part of the Believer, in light of course, of all that was accomplished on behalf of and in the Believer by God to the glory of His Son through His Spirit the very moment one trusted that Christ died for one's sins...

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; 6:3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. 6:5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; 6:7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: 6:8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him. 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Remember...

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Because Romans 5:6-8.

glorydaz

The instruction to standfast in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free is an instruction about doing something - about choosing to standfast in what has been accomplished in us and on our behalf, to His glory.

As opposed to what? The taking up your cross kind of doing?

If you decided to take up your cross, you wouldn't be standing fast in liberty would you? You would be running back to the law. Standing fast in what has been accomplished is what is known as being at rest. Does that require any effort we have to work up? I sure hope not, because then we'd see we weren't ever able to be good enough.

Just as Paul's "look at the things which are not seen" is about one's willingly choosing to do so, in contrast to one's choosing, instead, to look "at the things that are seen."

As is his assertion that we "walk by faith, and not by sight."

There is no work in that....quite the opposite.

Paul repeatedly emphasizes a doing on the part of the Believer.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Are you suggesting we can do any of that through our own efforts? Striving to enter into His rest? I'm not responsible for renewing my mind...nor is it possible for me to do so. I'm merely confident that He who began a good work in me will complete it. Philippians 1:6

And so on...

Here, an entire chapter of doing on the part of the Believer, in light of course, of all that was accomplished on behalf of and in the Believer by God to the glory of His Son through His Spirit the very moment one trusted that Christ died for one's sins...

Spoiler
Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; 6:3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. 6:5 Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; 6:7 With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: 6:8 Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free. 6:9 And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him. 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 6:15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 6:16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Remember...

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Because Romans 5:6-8.

And that yellow above is my point, and has been my point all along.

Thank you, though, for agreeing with me. ;)

Danoh

Obviously we see this issue differently.

My understanding is that the mind of the new man, is renewed via the intake of sound doctrine or knowledge from the Word, that is in line with or after the image of Christ, as depicted in the Word.

Colossians 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

How?

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Case in point, both of the following are actively investing time the Word.

But only one of the two is impacted by the intended impact on one that investing time in the Word is meant to have on one's mind.

2 Corinthians 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the LORD.

The glory of the Lord is beheld in the Scripture.

And as we actively pursue knowing about Him through time in Scripture, it is this that gradually renews our mind to that of the Believer described in Scripture.

1 Timothy 4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

All three are about actively investing time in the Word studying in it, it's wisdom resulting "instruction in righteousness."

2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Why? Because...

Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Thus, the need for the active practice of...

Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

And its intended, mind renewing result...

8:12 And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.

We'll have to disagree.

I'm fine with that.

Rom. 14:5.

glorydaz

Obviously we see this issue differently.

My understanding is that the mind of the new man, is renewed via the intake of sound doctrine or knowledge from the Word, that is in line with or after the image of Christ, as depicted in the Word.

Spoiler
Colossians 3:10 And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

How?

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Case in point, both of the following are actively investing time the Word.

But only one of the two is impacted by the intended impact on one that investing time in the Word is meant to have on one's mind.

2 Corinthians 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the LORD.

The glory of the Lord is beheld in the Scripture.

And as we actively pursue knowing about Him through time in Scripture, it is this that gradually renews our mind to that of the Believer described in Scripture.

Spoiler
1 Timothy 4:13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

All three are about actively investing time in the Word studying in it, it's wisdom resulting "instruction in righteousness."

2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Why? Because...

Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Thus, the need for the active practice of...

Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.

And its intended, mind renewing result...

8:12 And all the people went their way to eat, and to drink, and to send portions, and to make great mirth, because they had understood the words that were declared unto them.

We'll have to disagree.

I'm fine with that.

Rom. 14:5.

I'm fine with that, too. Personally, I love to study the Scripture, but I know it can produce spiritual pride just as easily as a renewal of the mind.

We are God's workmanship, being conformed into His image. Must we strive to be conformed? Isn't our mind being renewed when He causes us to want to do His good pleasure...as well as do it? Yes, it is.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.​

Trusting in the Lord, praying, giving thanks .....God working in us.....are the best mind renewers I know of. How many of us spend time with the Lord compared with studying about Him? A brother or sister shares a spiritual truth that speaks directly to the heart. I don't know of many members of the body of Christ who are cut off from the Word of God....which is the nice thing about being a member of the body. But if God is not working in you, your mind will not be renewed.

1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

1 Timothy 5:5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.

Danoh

I'm fine with that, too. Personally, I love to study the Scripture, but I know it can produce spiritual pride just as easily as a renewal of the mind.

We are God's workmanship, being conformed into His image. Must we strive to be conformed? Isn't our mind being renewed when He causes us to want to do His good pleasure...as well as do it? Yes, it is.

Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.​

Trusting in the Lord, praying, giving thanks .....God working in us.....are the best mind renewers I know of. How many of us spend time with the Lord compared with studying about Him? A brother or sister shares a spiritual truth that speaks directly to the heart. I don't know of many members of the body of Christ who are cut off from the Word of God....which is the nice thing about being a member of the body. But if God is not working in you, your mind will not be renewed.

1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

1 Timothy 5:5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.

Hah - I'm not surprised in the least that you pulled your now infamous pride card, as you always do whenever any one disagrees with you.

You're quite the character, in that respect, lol.

Anyway, you have isolated Philippians 2:13 from the whole of Paul's doctrine on what he is talking about whenever he says things like that.

Were he even asserting what the passage only appears to be saying on its surface, he would not have needed to tell them that it is God that is working in them both to will and to do of His good pleasure, they would have known that automatically, and walked in same, automatically.

He has just told them to work out their own salvation.

That is what he is reminding them is in them as to God's working in them both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

He is talking about the purpose behind why God saved them in His Son.

Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Those are active works on the Believers' part, as a Believer.

He is talking about how that if they will only choose to focus on why God saved them to begin with, in contrast to their choosing instead to focus self, they will find it easy to carry out the very purpose for which He saved them to begin with.

He is talking about their conducting themselves with one another in his absence as follows...

Philippians 1:27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

Paul himself lived by that...

Colossians 1:29 Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

There is Paul - working out his salvation - striving for the faith of the gospel.

He repeatedly makes it clear that the Believer's life is one of striving for the faith of the gospel.

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

It's a theme repeatedly running throughout his writings - to a people who are obviously not some kind of Holy Spirit automatons.

Because we are not...Israel.

Israel alone was promised a Spirit based automaticity.

Ezekiel 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. 36:28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Also lost in translation to such is their erroneous conclusion that Mid-Acts is asserting the Body was just Gentiles.

No MAD I have ever heard, read, or spoken to - and there have been many, many of them over the years - has ever asserted that.

Not a one.

But, it is what it is, when it comes to what non-mads continue to erroneously conclude about what mads actually hold on one thing or another, no matter how many years now mads have attempted to point out, otherwise, when confronted with the errors of such individuals.

There is...no reasoning with such.

When such things are pointed out and the errant behavior doesn't change then you can know that it isn't out of anything like ignorance or some other kind of mistake. It is intentional.

I once sat in a pew and listened to the Pastor of Tulsa Bible Church say that Bob Enyart teaches that "Jesus was confused about the gospel". Bob had a nightly television show that aired in that market at the time and so many if not all of them knew who he was. I was stunned beyond belief! After the service was over, I confronted him on the accusation. During our conversation, I mentioned Bob's book, The Plot, and he said, in a rather haughty tone, that he owned an original unpublished manuscript of the book. Well, at the time, the book didn't exist in any other form and I remember having to resist the temptation of one-uping him by pointing out that I had an autographed copy of the same unpublished manuscript. Anyway, the discussion continued for perhaps another two or three minutes during which it was plainly obvious that he had never bothered to read the manuscript he seemed so proud of owning. In short he lied to his congregation. He stood behind the pulpit as pastor of that church and flat out intentionally lied to his congregation. I told him as much and ended the conversation by telling him that he might try actually reading the book before making efforts to discredit the author, which I can all but guarantee you that he did not do.

Its called poisoning the well. People do it not because it's honest but because it works. People, for the most part, are sheepish and stupid. They'll believe pretty much anything that someone standing behind a pulpit says to them.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

You're just simply wrong on this. The practice is often modified from what one might be used to but it is not so uncommonly practiced as you seem to think it is. It is only the "Hyper-Dispensationalists" that completely avoid the Lord's supper (a uniquely Pauline phrase, by the way).

https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/are-we-hyper-dispensationalists/

http://graceambassadors.com/tradition/how-we-eat-the-lords-supper

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
I would never recommend anyone get water baptized today. Whether I made the error of performing the ritual or not is irrelevant to whether someone else should.
We can disagree that it matters, whether or not you yourself have been, or have not been, water baptized, wrt what you're now teaching. I just think that it might matter to someone considering whether or not to do it.
I used to think the folks at the World Wide Church of God had most of their doctrine correct - they didn't then and they don't now but I do not continue in their error(s), but neither do I go around disclosing to everyone that I used to be naive and stupid.

On what possible basis would you think that it would be at all relevant for me to disclose whether I used to observe the sabbath, no I mean used to tithe, no no I mean used to avoid unclean foods, no no no, I'll get it right - that I used to perform Jewish cleansing rituals - there, I got it! How it that relevant at all?

Clete
I don't think these are parallels to water baptism. Water baptism is a one-time thing, and once it's done, it's done. You don't 'undo' it, and nobody gets water baptized over and over again either.

Danoh

You're just simply wrong on this. The practice is often modified from what one might be used to but it is not so uncommonly practiced as you seem to think it is. It is only the "Hyper-Dispensationalists" that completely avoid the Lord's supper (a uniquely Pauline phrase, by the way).

https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/are-we-hyper-dispensationalists/

http://graceambassadors.com/tradition/how-we-eat-the-lords-supper

Both those articles advocate its' practice.

Which is what I was saying.

Over the years, I've spoken with a good fifty or sixty Mid-Acts based Pastor-Teachers whose assemblies practice it.

Several even told me that sometimes they did not do the potluck thing, but instead opt for the cracker and grape juice.

I've known very few who did not practice it at all.

Just a matter of one's study approach.

In fact, some of on here have often stated in the past that they do not practice it in any way, shape, or form.

This is why I wrote what I wrote to Idolator - that within any school of thought within Christianity, one is bound to run across differences in understanding on one thing or another within a same school.

Heck, even asserting that that is due to differences in study approach will run snack into some who disagree that this is the case.

Personally, I find it all something I can learn from.

Anyway, hope this clears up what I'd meant.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
We can disagree that it matters, whether or not you yourself have been, or have not been, water baptized, wrt what you're now teaching. I just think that it might matter to someone considering whether or not to do it.
The question is whether they would want to know for rationally valid reasons.

The point is that it is, in fact, irrelevant.

I don't think these are parallels to water baptism. Water baptism is a one-time thing, and once it's done, it's done. You don't 'undo' it, and nobody gets water baptized over and over again either.
You mean like circumcision?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Both those articles advocate its' practice.

Which is what I was saying.
Oh!

I misunderstood you then. I thought you were saying that "very very few DO practice it"! I overlooked the word "not"!

Sorry! I stand corrected.

Over the years, I've spoken with a good fifty or sixty Mid-Acts based Pastor-Teachers whose assemblies practice it.

Several even told me that sometimes they did not do the potluck thing, but instead opt for the cracker and grape juice.

I've known very few who did not practice it at all.

Just a matter of one's study approach.

In fact, some of on here have often stated in the past that they do not practice it in any way, shape, or form.

This is why I wrote what I wrote to Idolator - that within any school of thought within Christianity, one is bound to run across differences in understanding on one thing or another within a same school.

Heck, even asserting that that is due to differences in study approach will run snack into some who disagree that this is the case.

Personally, I find it all something I can learn from.

Anyway, hope this clears up what I'd meant.

Totally cleared up! :up:

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ

Sure. The Catholic Church's bishops distinguish between man-made traditions, and Apostolic traditions. The former can be and are changed, while the latter cannot be. One example of the latter that's come under some scrutiny recently is the all-male clergy. The Church contends that this Church tradition is Apostolic, and is therefore unchangeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.