ECT The Gospel Proper

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosixx

The instruction of Matt 28:19 clearly says that they should baptize in the name of the Father, AND of the Son, AND of the Holy Ghost.

Ok, I wasn't sure if that was your point. That is a good point. We don't see the anyone else doing exactly that either. Peter must have disobeyed as well.
Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

What do you think of only Jesus's name being used and not all three?

turbosixx

There it is...plain and simple....read the verse YOU provided very closely....

Yep, baptism comes before saved in that verse.

Just like we see in Paul's conversion. At what point in his conversion were his sins washed away?
Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

Right Divider

Body part
Ok, I wasn't sure if that was your point. That is a good point. We don't see the anyone else doing exactly that either. Peter must have disobeyed as well.
Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

What do you think of only Jesus's name being used and not all three?
Because the POINT of using "in the name of" means "BY THE AUTHORITY OF".

The authority is God.

john w

Hall of Fame
Key word IMAGINE. I've seen no proof they taught the law. I don't base my understanding on the book of imagination. God has shown us what they taught from Pentecost on. The same thing that got them beaten and tossed into jail. That is what they were teaching, Christ.

And what a mess, as he/she does not know that water baptism, was one of the righteous requirements, of the law.

drbrumley

Just like we see in Paul's conversion. At what point in his conversion were his sins washed away?
Acts 22:16 And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

I know how much you hate dispensationalism. Nobody is arguing against baptism being necessary in the church Peter and James ran.

Im only guessing here, but I take it you believe you are part of spiritual Israel?

Danoh

I see your point. Thanks for continuing to point that out. Here's my problem with that logic. That isn't proof they taught the law.
Do you think becoming a Christian comes with a memory dump and a new upload? That is not the case. These people have been taught these things for over a thousand years. It's going to take time to fully understand the law of liberty.

Is it sinful to observe the Sabbath Day?
Rom. 14:1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. 2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. 3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. 4 Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
5 One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God

14:10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother?

You're asserting your thinking into Matt. 24 as well. The weak brother will not want to travel on the Sabbath but the stronger will. They are both brothers in Christ.

God has shown us what the 12 taught from Pentecost on and it wasn't the law. Teaching the law didn't land them in jail or get them beaten. They taught Christ.

That is nothing but more of YOUR own ideas.

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have NEVER eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

Why not?

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

"Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean."

That was Moses Observing, SPIRIT Led Peter saying that - WAY "AFTER Pentecost" - Peter observing "all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." - Matt. 28:20.

For as Mark put it...

Mark 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord WORKING WITH THEM, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Okay, your turn - time for you to read MORE of YOUR unfounded ideas into these things.

Isaiah 8:20

Danoh

Lol, gotta luv ya, in your obviously "unlearned" notions.

That is referring to the symbolic intent of ISRAEL's water purification OF THE FLESH ritual.

Ananias was "a devout man ACCORDING TO THE LAW, having a good report of ALL the Jews which dwelt there," Acts 22:12.

Oy-vay and...

:rotfl: Turbo!

Acts 17:11, 12.

Rosenritter

The instruction of Matt 28:19 clearly says that they should baptize in the name of the Father, AND of the Son, AND of the Holy Ghost.

Are you alleging that was a "baptismal formula" with specific words to be recited? If so then there is no scriptural record of anyone performing that. Scripture tells us that they in the name of Jesus with water and received the Holy Spirit.

Rosenritter

I'm not willing to play your game.

You are unwilling to say that "love one another" and "love thy enemy" is a standard that applies to everyone, including you and me? What has greater importance to you that would prevent this simple confession? No wonder there's so much strife and argument on this board.

john w

Hall of Fame
By the revelation that they were given AT THAT TIME.

Paul received an abundance of revelation, including the revelation NOT to baptize (with water).

Correct.

At this time-the audience being? Those that knew, or should have known the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, from the OT scriptures. They were also, now, to know, that this "Jesus," of whom Abraham, Isaac, Jacob testified, was their Messiah,the Christ, their anointed one, God in the flesh.Hence, Lord, "in the name of...." Him, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 2 38 KJV Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 8:12 KJV Acts 8:16 KJV But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women…..16 (for as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)

Acts 10: 48 KJV And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Acts 19: 5 KJV When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Acts 28 KJV
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The audience? "all nations," i.e., the heathen, who were ignorant of the LORD God of the bible, both the OT, and the scriptures now being written of the Son, ignorant of all three persons, the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost. Hence-all 3 are named, and the name is singular, not "in the names of," plural.

Right Divider

Body part
Are you alleging that was a "baptismal formula" with specific words to be recited?
Obviously not. Have you been reading any of my posts?

If so then there is no scriptural record of anyone performing that.
Not, so irrelevant.

Scripture tells us that they in the name of Jesus with water and received the Holy Spirit.
The water baptism that Israel was performing was by the authority of God. It was right in line with the duties that God had given them.

turbosixx

I know how much you hate dispensationalism. Nobody is arguing against baptism being necessary in the church Peter and James ran.

Im only guessing here, but I take it you believe you are part of spiritual Israel?

I'm a dispensationalist.

If it was for a different church, Christ being divided, why did Paul do it multiple times just like Peter?

turbosixx

That is nothing but more of YOUR own ideas.

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have NEVER eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

Why not?

Matthew 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 23:3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

"Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean."

That was Moses Observing, SPIRIT Led Peter saying that - WAY "AFTER Pentecost" - Peter observing "all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." - Matt. 28:20.

For as Mark put it...

Mark 16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord WORKING WITH THEM, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Okay, your turn - time for you to read MORE of YOUR unfounded ideas into these things.

Isaiah 8:20

Observing is not teaching!

Paul observed.
Acts 18:18 After this, Paul stayed many days longer and then took leave of the brothers[c] and set sail for Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila. At Cenchreae he had cut his hair, for he was under a vow.

Right Divider

Body part
You are unwilling to say that "love one another" and "love thy enemy" is a standard that applies to everyone, including you and me? What has greater importance to you that would prevent this simple confession? No wonder there's so much strife and argument on this board.
You try to force all of scripture to be "the same". It's not and you cannot discuss why, because you have a false paradigm that forces your hand.

turbosixx

Lol, gotta luv ya, in your obviously "unlearned" notions.

That is referring to the symbolic intent of ISRAEL's water purification OF THE FLESH ritual.

Ananias was "a devout man ACCORDING TO THE LAW, having a good report of ALL the Jews which dwelt there," Acts 22:12.

Oy-vay and...

:rotfl: Turbo!

Acts 17:11, 12.

Is water baptism part of the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.