ECT The Gospel Proper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
If I don't consider Mk. 16:16 with other passages, then why do I continually ask this question and do not get an answer?
Mk. 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
Acts 18:8 Crispus, the ruler of the synagogue, believed in the Lord, together with his entire household. And many of the Corinthians hearing Paul believed and were baptized.
It's obvious these passages are directly related.

WHY in the world would Paul baptize believers EXACTLY as Jesus instructed in Mk. 16:16 if 1) he was not sent to 2) it's not part of "his" gospel. WHY, what possible reason to go against the truth? Please provide scriptural support.

You should read posts 340, 342, 343 & 344 of this thread.

turbosixx

I say all that merely to make the point that the Scriptures, in and of themselves, do not guarantee that one will get things right.
I totally agree. The reason I ask for scripture is that most of the time it's taken out of context, isn't in harmony with other passages or is just plain misunderstood. We are told to test to see if it's from God. We know the mind of God because it has been given to us. I want to know the truth and I don't believe it's that hard to understand. I believe God has given us exactly what we need for Him to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It isn't the bible we need in order to know the truth, it is Jesus, God the Son, the Logos Himself. The "light" that the Logos brings to all mankind is not the sort of light that illuminate the room but the sort that illuminates your mind (John 1:4-9). Of course, we'd not know anything about Jesus if not for the scriptures but people got their worldview right long before the bible existed, so its kind of a chicken/egg sort of thing I suppose.

Again I agree with you.

john w

Hall of Fame
I just thought you might want to display to everyone that you are as good as you claim.

TOL already knows that. Do not confuse your lack of reading comprehension skills, lack of spiritual discernment, with doubt on your part, of my greatness and humility. And no scripture commands me to answer any/all questions, especially from those, such as yourself, that engage in deceptive, hypocritical tactics, tactics, sophistry, "Three Card Monty,"and who don't "believe Jesus."

turbosixx

Why should it be a water baptism?

Here is my understanding.

In the same conversation Jesus has with the apostles in Mark 16, in Matthews version Jesus tells them to make Christians by baptizing them in the name of.
Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

"In the name of" is water baptism. Here is my scriptural support for that idea.
Here we can clearly see being baptized "in the name of" Jesus is water baptism.
Acts 10:47 “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

So we see the baptism in Mk 16 is water baptism "in the name of" Jesus.

If you don't agree, I would love to consider your scriptural support to the contrary.

turbosixx

TOL already knows that. Do not confuse your lack of reading comprehension skills, lack of spiritual discernment, with doubt on your part, of my greatness and humility. And no scripture commands me to answer any/all questions, especially from those, such as yourself, that engage in deceptive, hypocritical tactics, tactics, sophistry, "Three Card Monty,"and who don't "believe Jesus."

Didn't think so.

Right Divider

Body part
What does Paul mean by this question? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
Eph 4:3-6 KJV Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; (5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism, (6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1Co 12:12-14 KJV For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. (13) For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. (14) For the body is not one member, but many.

Just as plain as the nose on your face.

john w

Hall of Fame
Didn't think so.

Reduced the troll to surfing the net, to surf for "shut down" "original" cliches. That's it, troll/trollette? We never heard that one before. Weighty. Please teach us...Please?Please?

Chapter, verse, that commands me to answer any/all questions, especially from those, such as yourself, that engage in deceptive, hypocritical tactics, tactics, sophistry, "Three Card Monty,"and who don't "believe Jesus?

As quiet as a turkey farm, on Thanksgiving day.

turbosixx

Eph 4:3-6 KJV Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. (4) There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; (5) One Lord, one faith, one baptism, (6) One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

1Co 12:12-14 KJV For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. (13) For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. (14) For the body is not one member, but many.

Just as plain as the nose on your face.
I agree with those verses. You didn't answer my question.
What did Paul mean by Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
Spoiler
I was once in a very bad situation where there was no money for immediate food. I asked for help at least so my pets would not starve. A couple days later a stranger came and delivered a check written "from God" (her note) and apologized for not having brought it the couple days earlier when she had been told in a dream (the couple days earlier coincided with the prayer.) Does that count as a miracle or is that a coincidence that we expect to happen naturally from time to time?
fyi, the Catholic Church has been in the business of verifying miracles for centuries. She does so in order to definitively confirm that certain people who have died are now in fact in heaven. These are the ones called 'Saints.' It isn't that only the 'Saints' are in heaven, it's that the 'Saints' are the ones that are 'verified' to be in heaven.

And I don't think that the Catholic Church would agree that this is an example of a miracle. But I could be wrong, not being well-versed in these procedures. I do know that most of the confirmed miracles are medical miracles/healings.

I also don't disagree with you that it is a miracle. I think that it sometimes takes looking very carefully at an event, from within a particular vantage point, and with faith, in order to see miracles occurring. But as an outsider to this, I would, regardless of it being an objective miracle, whatever that may be, see this very plainly as an example of God's sovereignty.

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ

john w

Hall of Fame
Key word IMAGINE. I've seen no proof they taught the law. I don't base my understanding on the book of imagination. God has shown us what they taught from Pentecost on. The same thing that got them beaten and tossed into jail. That is what they were teaching, Christ.
Acts 5:42 KJV
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Translated: They went to the temple, "post Pentecost," straight from the law,observed
"the hour of prayer," at 3 P. M, per Acts 3:1 KJV, right out of the law, per Daniel 6:10(To be done 3 times a day)T KJV, Psalms 5:7 KJV, Psalms 28:2 KJV, Psalms 68:31 KJV, but never taught other to do the same.

You lied. Why? What is your motivation?

Mattehew 28 KJV, "post resurrection:"
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

"Boot Camp, for forty days, "post resurrection:"

Bible search results

Acts 1:3 KJV

to whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

Acts 2:46 KJV

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Acts 3:1-3 KJV, Acts 3:8 KJV, Acts 3:10 KJV

1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.2 And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;3 who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms...........8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God....10 and they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.

Acts 4:1 KJV

And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

Levitical priests, right out of the law, the temple...

Acts 5:20-21 KJV, Acts 5:24-25 KJV

20 Go, stand and speak in the temple to the people all the words of this life.21
And when they heard that, they entered into the temple early in the morning, and taught. But the high priest came, and they that were with him, and called the council together, and all the senate of the children of Israel, and sent to the prison to have them brought....24 Now when the high priest and the captain of the temple and the chief priests heard these things, they doubted of them whereunto this would grow.25 Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.

What temple do you attend, and how do you explain that you are not teaching the law, to those that observe you keeping that same law?

Rosenritter

MML&J all have the context of the Jesus coming to His people Israel. So these truths are all applicable in that context.

That some of that teaching may also have a universal application is ALSO true.

1. I am not hearing you admit that "love one another" and "love thy enemy" are universally applicable to everyone.
2. What I am hearing are constant rephrasing and conditions that would say that these are only for those of the blood of Israel ... and not applicable to the Gentile.

Please confirm or deny.

turbosixx

You have a one track mind... Churchianity.

Is there ONE baptism or not?
What is THAT one baptism?

Why will you not explain what Paul is talking about? The passages you quoted DO NOT contain "in the name of". How can we understand what "in the name of" baptism is if you ignore passages that contain it?

Status
Not open for further replies.