ECT The Gospel Preached at Pentecost

Jerry Shugart

What did they preach? At that time. Specifically.

They preached the gospel of the kingdom, that the kingdom was at hand. And of course the Jews would know that with the coming of the kingdom that the Christ, the Messiah, would also appear to sit upon the throne of David:

"Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me"
(Jn.10:24-25).​

Those who believed that Jesus is the Christ were born of God (1 Jn.5:1). That is how the Jews were saved when the Lord Jesus walked the earth:

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the children of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (Jn.1:12-13).​

Now what do you think that was being preached when the Twelve preached a gospel at Luke 9:6?

Interplanner

They preached the gospel of the kingdom, that the kingdom was at hand. And of course the Jews would know that with the coming of the kingdom that the Christ, the Messiah, would also appear to sit upon the throne of David:

"Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me"

Those who believed that Jesus is the Christ were born of God (1 Jn.5:1). That is how the Jews were saved when the Lord Jesus walked the earth:

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the children of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (Jn.1:12-13).​

Now what do you think that was being preached when the Twelve preached a gospel at Luke 9:6?

Easy Jerry. Thanks for quoting Jn 1. Law came by Moses, Grace and truth by Christ. That is what was preached. It is the grace of God that forgives sins too, Mk 2. Now the disciples fumbling of the death of Christ about all that is their problem. Like their spokesperson, they knew it was going to happen, but they "rebuked" Christ for mentioning it.

There is not the least chance therefore that they did not know his death was central. That is a hoax like 2P2P. Ahh, but DENIAL of it; that's quite another thing.

The disciples once asked about Elijah. You know the routine: yes, he is coming, but I tell you he has come and they chopped him up and they will do the same to Messiah. You, Jerry, need to come to terms with this about your throne of David hangup. It is Christ's seat in heaven for suffering the death he suffered for mankind. Ie, yes, the throne was going to be established; and it was in Christ.

The NT is full of very terse, limited fulfillment of what seems to be a continuation of Judaism, but was only supposed to bounce off of it. Because it was not going to be God's vineyard any more.

dodge

Rationalization, humanism, unbelief.

No one answered this . It was ignored care to take a stab.

2Co 10:17
But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

As Paul described it babes,those still on milk, argue about which Apostle they followed , and Paul rightfully so tried to stop that nonsense, because all the Apostles preached the one true Gospel as Paul indicated.

1Co 3:1

And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

If Peter or Apollos had not been teaching grace trough faith do you believe for a second that Paul would not have called them out ?

This debate is not new it has been around since and probably before Paul's time.

It is pretty clear when Paul said if any man glorieth let him glory in the Lord He was teaching how to move to higher more solid ground, and that is meat and not milk.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

1 John was written to the church pal

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Interplanner

Your assertion that 1 John 5 was written to Israel is asinine.

Actually what I find obtuse here IntoJ is that there is a certain Messiah belief for Judaism that matches his 1st gospel theory and that's how they got saved. 2P2P is always trying to smuggle in a 2nd gospel. In this case, it is a belief in 'Messiah' that has no sacrificial death connected to it.

Some of these theologs also do this in I Jn 2 where it has 'Jesus is the Christ' as though this was a magic saying unfilled by the sacrificial death. Another is Acts 18:5. What they don't seem to grasp here is the Jesus connects to Jesus of Nazareth, which is a very graphic link to that death. So the apostle's doctrine was that that historical figure and his sacrifice was the Messiah. And in opposition to that was that Messiah would be some other figure--most likely an inspired zealot to fight the war of the Lord against Rome. Jesus warned of that in Mt 24: the reason for noting he would be 'out in the desert' or 'in the inner rooms (of the temple)' was those were 2 places to form an HQ out of which to command a revolt. The 'inner room' item is the same thought as 'you have made the temple a place of insurrectionists' (this is often trans 'thieves' but 'leistes' is always political).

Interplanner

back to the denial problem of Mk 9: I have yet to see Jerry answer this: you can't be in denial (like Peter rebuking) without truly knowing in the first place.

The drift away from the sacrificial death of Christ by the apostles is admittedly strange, but is a keen bit of character study as they block it from their minds, spearheaded by Peter.

Jerry Shugart

The drift away from the sacrificial death of Christ by the apostles is admittedly strange, but is a keen bit of character study as they block it from their minds, spearheaded by Peter.

So you stick to your fairy tale that the Twelve went to different towns in Israel preaching that salvation will come as a result of the death of the Lord Jesus and then later they no longer remembered that He was going to die?

Did all of the Apostles developed a case of Alzheimer's disease at the same time? lol

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
So? That does not change the fact that those who believe that the Lord Jesus is the Christ are born of God.

You still have not told me what was being preached when the Twelve preached a gospel at Luke 9:6.

It shows you are exercising hermeneutical gymnastics

Danoh

1 John was written to the church pal

Did I, or did I not point out to you that all MADs do NOT hold to a SAME understanding on ALL things :chuckle:

As with ANY school of thought within "Christianity" including...yours.

SaulToPaul 2

Actually what I find obtuse here IntoJ is that there is a certain Messiah belief for Judaism that matches his 1st gospel theory and that's how they got saved. 2P2P is always trying to smuggle in a 2nd gospel. In this case, it is a belief in 'Messiah' that has no sacrificial death connected to it.

Some of these theologs also do this in I Jn 2 where it has 'Jesus is the Christ' as though this was a magic saying unfilled by the sacrificial death. Another is Acts 18:5. What they don't seem to grasp here is the Jesus connects to Jesus of Nazareth, which is a very graphic link to that death. So the apostle's doctrine was that that historical figure and his sacrifice was the Messiah. And in opposition to that was that Messiah would be some other figure--most likely an inspired zealot to fight the war of the Lord against Rome. Jesus warned of that in Mt 24: the reason for noting he would be 'out in the desert' or 'in the inner rooms (of the temple)' was those were 2 places to form an HQ out of which to command a revolt. The 'inner room' item is the same thought as 'you have made the temple a place of insurrectionists' (this is often trans 'thieves' but 'leistes' is always political).

Straight out of a commentary, as opposed to Bible study.

SaulToPaul 2

Danoh: "Nope."

They could believe that "Jesus is the Christ" without knowing that he had died for their sins.
Put down your commentaries, they are only confusing you further.