ECT Speaking in tongues

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I already had; way back when...

But you well know from dealing with various people on TOL how easy it is for them to get an idea in their heads against you that blocks them from seeing where you are coming from no matter what you might say, or how you might word it.
It happens.
Just get over it.

I've been down this road with some MADs on here before and always to the same dead end biased conclusion that I am up to no good (as the history of MAD shows; such one sided biases do tend to end up, regretabbly; the mind of a collective).
That's sad.
Just get over it.

At this point, we're just going around in circles; my intent continuing to be both misunderstood as well as read into.
I know the feeling.

Just get over it.

I had hoped the above would be of use to each of us; not just to myself.
Some things don't work out the way we would like them to.
Get over it.

I know that having learned of the above understanding of such things has been of great benefit in my own life.
Hope it always works out for ya.
But if it doesn't, get over it.

There is always the hope of tommow's possible hindsite for each of us; I'll leave things at that.
Don't let it bother ya.
Just get over it.

The best, nevertheless, Tam.
Best to you too.

Interplanner

Heir wrote:
Which gospel was preached unto you as the gospel of your salvation: what Peter preached in Acts or the gospel given by revelation of Jesus Christ to Paul that was before a mystery?

False premise. P&P preached the same, but Peter left it for a bit. The clue is in Gal 1: THE faith that Paul now preached he once tried to destroy. How can it be more clear than that?

ZacharyB

I agree, it's still a sign for unbelievers.
Jamie, you are only dealing with a church setting,
which is where tongues ARE a sign for unbelievers who are there!

But, perhaps 99% of all tongues are in a personal setting
where the Spirit-filled believer (who has this gift, 1 Cor 12)
is allowing the Holy Spirit to pray through himself/herself.

BTW ... I have the baptism with the Holy Spirit, but not this particular gift.
It is just one of the 9 spiritual power gifts listed in 1 Cor 12.

A 3rd use of tongues is to CONFIRM that a believer has just indeed
received this "baptism of anointing" for special ministry ...
which is the glorious baptism with the Holy Spirit.
(Again, this 3rd use has nothing to do with a sign for unbelievers.)

1) confirmation of receiving (one time)
2) personal prayer language (wherever/whenever)
3) sign to unbelievers (in a church setting)

Salvation ... The Holy Spirit baptizes one by coming inside the new believer.
Baptism with the Holy Spirit ... Jesus Himself performs this special baptism
where the Holy Spirit comes upon the already-saved believer.
Both ... can happen simultaneously (such as on the Day of Pentecost).
(BTW, Peter had absolutely no idea what had just happened.)

Last edited:

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Heir wrote:
Which gospel was preached unto you as the gospel of your salvation: what Peter preached in Acts or the gospel given by revelation of Jesus Christ to Paul that was before a mystery?

False premise. P&P preached the same, but Peter left it for a bit. The clue is in Gal 1: THE faith that Paul now preached he once tried to destroy. How can it be more clear than that?

Simply put, Peter and Paul preached two separate Gospels. Peter preached, "The Kingdom Gospel" to the House of Israel and Paul preached "The Grace Gospel" to the Gentiles.

Danoh

Heir wrote:

The faith that Paul had once tried to destroy is a reference to his having persecuted, even unto death; those who had preached that Christ had risen.

Acts 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Acts 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Acts 26:8 Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? 26:9 I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 26:10 Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. 26:11 And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
The faith that Paul had once tried to destroy is a reference to his having persecuted, even unto death; those who had preached that Christ had risen.

Acts 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Acts 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

Acts 26:8 Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead? 26:9 I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 26:10 Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them. 26:11 And I punished them oft in every synagogue, and compelled them to blaspheme; and being exceedingly mad against them, I persecuted them even unto strange cities.

Not just suffer and rise from the dead.

22 Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come

23 that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.”

andyc

Not a lot of discussion about tongues, except an intriguing post by Zach B a few posts back.
The madsters seem to be devouring each other and having a good time.

I've been speaking in tongues today, and enjoyed it. Awesome fellowship with God before work.
You guys that hate it, where is your scriptural response?

andyc

Prove it.

Gladly

1Cor 1:3-7
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ

Still waiting for the revelation of Jesus Christ, and not coming short in the gifts.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Heir wrote:

False premise.
No, it isn't. Which gospel was preached unto you as the gospel of your salvation: what Peter preached in Acts Acts 2:38-45 KJV, Acts 3:19-21 KJV) or the gospel given by revelation of Jesus Christ to Paul (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV, Galatians 1:11-12 KJV) that was before a mystery (Romans 16:25-27 KJV, 1 Corinthians 2:6-8 KJV)? Those are not the same gospel, so which one was preached unto you as the gospel of your salvation, IP?

P&P preached the same, but Peter left it for a bit. The clue is in Gal 1: THE faith that Paul now preached he once tried to destroy. How can it be more clear than that?
Galatians 1:23 KJV is that Paul was now preaching not the WHY of the cross/the gospel of Christ that is the power of God to save today, but the WHO of Jesus Christ (Acts 9:20-22 KJV).

heir

TOL Subscriber
Gladly

1Cor 1:3-7
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ

Still waiting for the revelation of Jesus Christ, and not coming short in the gifts.
No, prove that you spoke in tongues.

Something like this will suffice:

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?119228-Speaking-in-tongues&p=4786207&viewfull=1#post4786207

andyc

Here's a little quiz for heir :)

Let's look at this little verse and ask two multiple choice questions.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

1. He who speaks in a tongue speaks to: A. God B. Men C. Elephants D. Aliens

2. A. No one understands the tongue except God B. Other men understand the tongue C. Everyone understands the tongue D. Only Paul understands the tongue.

Let's see how well you do in this little test?