Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?

• Total voters

uk_mikey

LMOHM and myself put to death?

LMOHM and myself put to death?

I know I voted "No", but you can trust my answer. This is not the first time this question has been asked and I know what the answer is. If you still want to wait for them to answer then go for it, but let me add this......

Throw the issue of homosexuality out of it. Do you favor the death penalty for any crime? Murder? rape? If so, do you believe that if the person repents they should be let go? Or does that person still get the punishment, i.e. death. Take any crime for that matter, if the person repents, do you believe the punishment should be waived? I assume you'd answer no to those questions and if that is the case, why would death for homosexuality be any different? A crime is a crime and it deserves punishment regardless of the criminals repentance or lack thereof.

OK... so if I assume that your reply would be the reply of those here who advocate the death penalty (as none of them are answering the question), this would mean that anyone who had turned from homosexual activity (such as LMOHM and myself) would still be a target for arrest and prosecution and would be put to death, because we would have willingly have committed the crime (as it would be a crime).

I'm especially interested in the opinions of Shimei and LMOHM on this point.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
OK... so if I assume that your reply would be the reply of those here who advocate the death penalty (as none of them are answering the question), this would mean that anyone who had turned from homosexual activity (such as LMOHM and myself) would still be a target for arrest and prosecution and would be put to death, because we would have willingly have committed the crime (as it would be a crime).
That is true, assuming that the law was in effect at the time you and LMOHM committed the acts. They do not support retroactive punishments. So hypothetically, if homosexuality was made a crime tomorrow, they would not attempt to convict you or LMOHM.

I'm especially interested in the opinions of Shimei and LMOHM on this point.
Hopefully they'll respond then.

uk_mikey

Mikey, may I ask what you mean about feasibility? Towards your own thinking, or in general?

Also, Kmo's is the answer that you're going to get.

This discussion on "Should homosexuals be given the death penalty?" is only dealing with the theological arguement over a term, of which we all know those on each side of the arguement don't agree means the same thing.

If we agree that it's about only the act of homosexual sex, then the question of whether repentance came into the equation seemed to me to be an important one, as this presumably is about Christian justice.

I guess that I felt that the continual Scriptural ping pong match over a few thousand posts was getting rather boring, covering the same old ground, and the practicalities of the question could help to develop the thread into a new area.

There'd be little point in implementing a law which didn't have a structure and a target. It's too simplistic to just say "homosexuals should have the death penalty", but what would that it actually mean? What would it entail, and who would be the target?

I don't see where these important questions have been addressed.

uk_mikey

I guess that I felt that the continual Scriptural ping pong match over a few thousand posts was getting rather boring, covering the same old ground, and the practicalities of the question could help to develop the thread into a new area.

I take that back. It's quite compelling, but it doesn't put meat on the bones of what it would entail, or who it would effect.

red77

And, Red, you know that most of the people you are talking about don't consider a person homosexual unless they commit homosexual acts.

Maybe, but I'm yet to hear a rational description of what you would call someone who is attracted to their own gender if not homosexual, according to the dictionary mere same sex attraction is enough to warrant this description the same as heterosexual applies to those who find the opposite sex desirable, if people claim that the homosexual lifestyle is a 'choice' then it has to be one that is possible to make, for me it would be impossible as I have no desire whatsoever for my own gender before even the thought of any sexual activity could occur.....

red77

No, it isn't a choice. I wish it was, for if it was I would choose to be attracted to females. I would never have chosen to be attracted to other guys. So long as I abstain from sexual activity, I am not sinning.

This is why this all seems incredibly unfair, you are saying you have no choice (which I believe) to be attracted to the same sex and as a result are banned from having any sort of sexual life for something which isnt even your fault.....

uk_mikey

Maybe, but I'm yet to hear a rational description of what you would call someone who is attracted to their own gender if not homosexual, according to the dictionary mere same sex attraction is enough to warrant this description the same as heterosexual applies to those who find the opposite sex desirable, if people claim that the homosexual lifestyle is a 'choice' then it has to be one that is possible to make, for me it would be impossible as I have no desire whatsoever for my own gender before even the thought of any sexual activity could occur.....

In some ways it's similar to a person who is struggling to live with a very low income. Some would feel 'prone' to enter into a criminal 'lifestyle' in order to give their family a better life, where others in the same situation would never even contemplate it.
Just because they may have a tendency to criminality, doesn't mean it would be a good or right thing.

red77

In some ways it's similar to a person who is struggling to live with a very low income. Some would feel 'prone' to enter into a criminal 'lifestyle' in order to give their family a better life, where others in the same situation would never even contemplate it.
Just because they may have a tendency to criminality, doesn't mean it would be a good or right thing.

I guess this is there everything gets clouded then, of any 'sin' I could commit homosexuality could not be one of them, I could choose to sleep around, be promiscuous or whatever but only with the opposite sex, i can choose to rob, lie, be covetous, etc etc etc but not homosexual,

uk_mikey

I guess this is there everything gets clouded then, of any 'sin' I could commit homosexuality could not be one of them, I could choose to sleep around, be promiscuous or whatever but only with the opposite sex, i can choose to rob, lie, be covetous, etc etc etc but not homosexual,

Just as I'm sure there are some sins that I could never carry out, no matter how much I'd try. People are made differently, with different weaknesses to different sins.

uk_mikey

This is why this all seems incredibly unfair, you are saying you have no choice (which I believe) to be attracted to the same sex and as a result are banned from having any sort of sexual life for something which isnt even your fault.....

Of course it's unfair, but who's said that it wasn't? It's unfair that some people have all their limbs and others don't. And just because you pray to have those limbs returned, it doesn't mean that God will answer your prayers the way you want Him to answer them. Just like praying to have homosexual attraction taken away is as unlikely for very many.
Life, and Scripture, is full of unfair things.

red77

Just as I'm sure there are some sins that I could never carry out, no matter how much I'd try. People are made differently, with different weaknesses to different sins.

I understand, there are also things that I could never carry out, I could never rape anyone, unless it was in self defence or my family and loved ones were at serious risk I doubt I could ever kill anyone, the difference for me is that I can morally and ethically reason why those would be heinous crimes to commit, with sexuality it really isnt a choice whatsoever,
anyway, this is just my take on this, no offence intended.....

uk_mikey

I understand, there are also things that I could never carry out, I could never rape anyone, unless it was in self defence or my family and loved ones were at serious risk I doubt I could ever kill anyone, the difference for me is that I can morally and ethically reason why those would be heinous crimes to commit, with sexuality it really isnt a choice whatsoever,
anyway, this is just my take on this, no offence intended.....

There are those who are sexually attracted to young children. I could never commit the sin of sexual abuse of a child, for the same reason that you couldn't commit homosexual sin. That may seem unfair to the person who is afflicted with the temptation of paedophilia, but that unfairness doesn't make the fulfilment of that temptation any less sinful.

Layla

There are those who are sexually attracted to young children. I could never commit the sin of sexual abuse of a child, for the same reason that you couldn't commit homosexual sin. That may seem unfair to the person who is afflicted with the temptation of paedophilia, but that unfairness doesn't make the fulfilment of that temptation any less sinful.

You're missing the distinction between morals and sins. I don't think attraction to kids is a choice, but I do think acting on it is, and anyone who does so should get the DP. This is because it involves unconsensual sex and hurts the child both physically and mentally. Homosexuality, in contrast, involves consensual sex which hurts the parties no more than heterosexual sex does. The fact that both are sins does not make them equal, and to compare them is insane, to me.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

So assuming that Paul and the author of Leviticus are correct and God really does forbid Homo sex, is God unfair?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You're missing the distinction between morals and sins. I don't think attraction to kids is a choice, but I do think acting on it is, and anyone who does so should get the DP. This is because it involves unconsensual sex and hurts the child both physically and mentally. Homosexuality, in contrast, involves consensual sex which hurts the parties no more than heterosexual sex does. The fact that both are sins does not make them equal, and to compare them is insane, to me.
Do you really believe that both are sins or are you just playing along?