Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well, again. A sidestep. Answering "We consider some symbols offensive because of what they represent and we denounce the deeds that were done in their name" would wrap this up, and you and Tambora both realize that. All you're stuck with now is arguing that somehow, someway, the rebel flag's imagery is unique and falls into a morally neutral category that defies effective or worthwhile criticism--which is a conceit that defies facts, history, and common sense. This isn't a discussion about whether some philistine should have the "right" to tattoo a swastika on his arm or fly the rebel flag on his porch. This is a discussion about what message is being conveyed and received with such symbols.

Its not a sidestep at all, i support other people to have different meanings for different things, and you support telling others what they should believe based on how you see things.

Granite

Hall of Fame
At this moment in time they are terribly inflammatory.

And...what were they 150 years ago?:think:

As a Yankee, in the past, all that rebel stuff was kind of entertaining.

Ummmm...see above?:freak:

Right now we are in the death grip of political correctness and almost any utterance may be perceived as insulting or derogatory.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe calling someone's mother a strumpet's always been in bad taste.

What is not up for the razor sharp teeth of political correctness is respect for life, mine, yours and the unborn child.

You, ah...kinda lost me there.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Its not a sidestep at all, i support other people to have different meanings for different things, and you support telling others what they should believe based on how you see things.

How many different ways do you honestly expect someone to parse a swastika or pair of lightning bolts?:rolleyes:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Irrelevant to the point, because even though i disagree, i do not take away the right of someone else to believe what they do. I fully believe in freedom of speech and expression even when i disagree with it.
Me too!

I give Granite the authority to think of the Confederate flag any way he wants to.
Likewise, I would like to be given the authority to think of the Confederate flag any way I want to.

But as Stripe has tried to convey, the "flag" focus is misplaced.
The focus should be on the murderer, not a symbol.
Put the focus on the murderer, instead of the symbol, and most all division of what should be done to the murderer is left behind.

Focus on the actual problem (murder) and there is hardly any division at all.
Misplacing the focus causes division.

Stop misplacing the focus and we are united against a murderer.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Me too!

I give Granite the authority to think of the Confederate flag any way he wants to.
Likewise, I would like to be given the authority to think of the Confederate flag any way I want to.

Put the focus on the murderer, instead of the symbol, and most all division of what should be done to the murderer is left behind.

Misplacing the focus causes division.

Stop misplacing the focus and we are united against a murderer.

Very well said!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think, all this side bar aside, that an evil or criminally insane young man, whose life is effectively over one way or the other, choose the Confederate battle flag for the same reason the Klan is out in South Carolina defending it today. Because he understood what it stood for, what it had been brought back to front later in its life.

While no symbol or particular ignorance should be outlawed, it has no place flying over the seat of any government, being given any pretense of authority or nobility. Let it fly as a cautionary tale, a shameful reminder of a national disgrace, a flaw in our foundation that required a long and bloody war to right. Well, a war and a Constitutional Amendment made possible by it.

Granite

Hall of Fame

An "authority" that doesn't exist, and one that if did wouldn't be yours to grant or take away. Which again...no one has disputed.

Blathering of the Foreigner Know Nothing.

Because as we know granting murderous maniacs all the airtime they want and all the recognition they crave discourages others from following in their footsteps.

:rotfl:

Oh, it's just that simple! "Murder" is the only problem. Gather round, kids, check this out: Murder is bad!:jump:

Nothing else whatsoever to see here. Nothing to see.:carryon:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, again. A sidestep.
Oh stop. You do the same with many topics.

Answering "We consider some symbols offensive because of what they represent and we denounce the deeds that were done in their name" would wrap this up, and you and Tambora both realize that.
Of course we do.

But it is not one's symbol that we fight against, it is their actions (as it should be).

All you're stuck with now is arguing that somehow, someway, the rebel flag's imagery is unique and falls into a morally neutral category that defies effective or worthwhile criticism--which is a conceit that defies facts, history, and common sense. This isn't a discussion about whether some philistine should have the "right" to tattoo a swastika on his arm or fly the rebel flag on his porch. This is a discussion about what message is being conveyed and received with such symbols.
I'm sorry you big ol' teddy bear, but I don't let some fringe group of nuts decide for the rest of the world what a symbol HAS TO mean, just because they carry that symbol.

For instance:
The Klan carried symbols of the cross, the American Flag, the Christian flag, and the Confederate flag.

None of the symbols they use mean the same to them as they do to me. And I don't let THEM make the final decision of what those symbols should mean to me.
It would be stupid to think that anyone that has those symbols are a Klan member or a supporter of the Klan.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I give Granite the authority to think of the Confederate flag any way he wants to. Likewise, I would like to be given the authority to think of the Confederate flag any way I want to.
A person is free to think anything they want. And questioning the reasonableness of that thinking, when it leaves the noggin and enters the public square is reasonable. Likewise flying a symbol with a particular history.

He's wrong.

What hasn't been said about the murder or murderer that's known? And the outcome for him is already in motion, by process.

So why not examine the symbol he associated his racist rage with and its role in our society? Because it divides? So does faith.

Granite

Hall of Fame
But it is not one's symbol that we fight against, it is their actions (as it should be).

True. And we banish symbols of hate while we're at it.

I'm sorry you big ol' teddy bear, but I don't let some fringe group of nuts decide for the rest of the world what a symbol HAS TO mean, just because they carry that symbol.

Said every single neo-Nazi ever.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
True. And we banish symbols of hate while we're at it.

Loads of atheists think the cross is a symbol of hate granite, think the american flag is a symbol of hate, etc..

Thanks for showing clearly you believe in forcing your opinion on others and banning that which you dont believe or agree.

Thats fascism.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Loads of atheists think the cross is a symbol of hate

Never encountered/read one. (If anything, some atheists regard the cross as a curious choice considering it's a symbol of torture and death, but oh well. Kinda like Jackie O wearing a rifle pendant, as one wag observed.)

The rest of your post is your typical tantrum nonsense. You've been on a real tear lately. Guess the whole denazification bit was a mistake on our part after the war.