Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, in a thread about nine people being murdered, a flag is all the liberals want to talk about. Forget justice.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It is fascinating how the Heritage-not-Haters seem to show up reliably when people talk about taking down the flag, but when it is used for more explicitly racist and violent purposes, they're never there to object.

Yeah, they're not knocking the Oklahoma protesters at all, and never really care about who "misappropriates" their beloved symbol.

bybee

It's just as effective as pedantic literalistic nitpicking last time I checked.:yawn:

As expected, the "yawn" and the putdown.
How very predictable and banal you are.
When was the last time you paused to consider that another poster just might have a modicum of good will?

Granite

Hall of Fame
As expected, the "yawn" and the putdown.
How very predictable and banal you are.
When was the last time you paused to consider that another poster just might have a modicum of good will?

Depends on the poster and the content, wouldn't ya say?

Granite

Hall of Fame
In part, yes. But "trying" to keep an open mind, even with posters who offend me, has been beneficial for me.

Same here. That said, I have zero patience for any apologists who defend this flag or the culture it represents. It's a symbol of a larger problem and a symptom of a sickness I can't abide or respect.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, in a thread about nine people being murdered, a flag is all the liberals want to talk about. Forget justice.

There's not much more to say about the murders at this point. It was a cowardly, horrific act and the creature responsible is in the process that will lead to either his conviction or institutionalization. So what does that leave to talk about?

It is fascinating how the Heritage-not-Haters seem to show up reliably when people talk about taking down the flag, but when it is used for more explicitly racist and violent purposes, they're never there to object.
Yeah...well they can't really, can they. What I mean is that their entire line is tied into being as general as they possibly can in addressing the subject because once you get into the details it goes to the devil.

Look at fza's recent post. Who wouldn't be concerned with "denying legitimate concerns" and "minimizing and marginalizing" people? As general advances go that one is tailored to meet people offended by the flag on their own high ground and pull the brake lever.

Except there's no legitimate concern found in a racist or someone advancing a symbol of racism, at least not one that the symbol necessitates. And the marginalization and minimizing is a sort of self immolation that association brings with it. Are we to be concerned for the "legitimate concerns and marginalization" of the Klan, by way of?

I don't think it's reasonably required.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There's not much more to say about the murders at this point. It was a cowardly, horrific act and the creature responsible is in the process that will lead to either his conviction or institutionalization. So what does that leave to talk about?
The injustice of the fact that he is still alive, for one.

However, the false flag issue was raised almost immediately with little to no attention paid to the two things that have a chance of reducing the incidence of such attacks.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The injustice of the fact that he is still alive, for one.
See, that's not really talking about the murders. It's talking about what you want to do about it, about your larger issue on what constitutes the justice you mean to apply to him.

In this you're no different from the people you're criticizing.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Bull.
There are numerous folks here that object to the Klan. And we don't have a problem with kicking their butts.

We fight against their (Klan) ignorance, just as as we fight against the ignorance of those that fall for any self-distorted definition of a symbol to distract from the real core of the problem.

I don't give them the authority to lead me by the nose and dumb-down the definition of a symbol for me, and use it to distract.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Same here. That said, I have zero patience for any apologists who defend this flag or the culture it represents. It's a symbol of a larger problem and a symptom of a sickness I can't abide or respect.
The 'sickness' is something you have let creep into your heart and then removed any wiggle-room.

I have a Confederate flag.
If by having that flag, you see me as racist against blacks; then your mind does indeed have a sickness.
It's your heart problem, not mine.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Bull.
There are numerous folks here that object to the Klan. And we don't have a problem with kicking their butts.

We fight against their (Klan) ignorance, just as as we fight against the ignorance of those that fall for any self-distorted definition of a symbol to distract from the real core of the problem.

I don't give them the authority to lead me by the nose and dumb-down the definition of a symbol for me, and use it to distract.

Would you agree some symbols are so provocative their "intended" meaning can be irrelevant if they carry enough baggage?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The 'sickness' is something you have let creep into your heart and then removed any wiggle-room.

I have a Confederate flag.
If by having that flag, you see me as racist against blacks; then your mind does indeed have a sickness.
It's your heart problem, not mine.

:thumb: well said.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Would you agree some symbols are so provocative their "intended" meaning can be irrelevant if they carry enough baggage?
Wouldn't conforming to and perpetuating the baggage be kinda stupid in a nose-lead kind of way?