Shooting at SC Church During Bible Study - Suspect still at large

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ok, if you say you are 51 then I will take you at your word.
You showed pictures and didn't really think they were taken before theCivil War but thought you could combine the two things Since the South had slaves.
So you knew theses were supposed to be under the flag of the US.
At your age though you don't talk like you actually know anything about what you can imagine from pics.

So let me confess, I wasn't here for pre civil war years either but I have heard some history teachers say the antebellum part of our history has not always been taught correctly.
I know someones great grandfather in central Texas grew cotton and had a few black families living on his place as employees after the war was over. When the KKK went out riding over some offense he took his people out to the flats and stayed with them to hide them. He left his wife and children to sit quietly and wait for morning. One of his daughters told what it was like to hear the horses hooves go by the farm.

But let's talk about a few years ago, ok?
An electrical engineer was working at Texas Instruments and when on a
Certain project was working with among others a Jewish man who was also an EE. But this Jewish man was treated poorly, often looked at disdainfully, occasionally insulted and berated at every opportunity. Not by American EEs but by one EE from Afghanistan. There was also an EE who was a Chinese woman! Very smart, always treated like a second class citizen , made to do more work than others, carry more than her load - never by American EEs - but do you care since she took it like she thought it was normal?

Last and maybe least - one pic some time ago was photoshopped and put on the internet. I know you trust your source and would never imagine anyone doing an evil stunt with horrible pics.
But
all your pics can be replaced by horrible pictures that are very real and are much more recent in time - and can be verified. Should anyone want to see them either? I don't.

Do you have a point?

I understand there is racism, bigotry, etc. today. There will always be.

The subject is flying a flag that symbolizes racial hatred on government property.

Alate_One

That photo was of a lynching in Indiana in the 1930's.

Not the south, moron.

And? The racists in the north use the Confederate flag. That's one of the ways you can tell it's racist and it's not just "Southern Heritage".

I stopped at a gas station in Marion Indiana about 10 years ago when a tour bus full of African Americans happened to be stopping also. A pick up truck full of young white males showed up while I was in the station and it had a large confederate flag flying in the back.

Let's just say it didn't make me think they were there to celebrate "Southern Heritage". I was worried I was about to be in the middle of a violent confrontation. Fortunately they left relatively quickly, but it's not an experience I've forgotten. I'm quite sure they were using the flag as an intimidation tactic.

Guess where that lynching photo was from? Marion, Indiana.

The flag needs to go from any government held property, aside from being a museum piece.

rexlunae

I know.

The 'culture' of the south has many facets. Why do you get to determine which facets of that culture are represented when viewing a flag?

I don't. History does. And it's not the culture of the South entirely or exclusively. It's the history of the use of that flag.

rainee

Every time a black person sees the Confederate Flag it reminds him/her of those pictures..

Ok, I can go with that. On the basis of that I would like you to ask all reminders of such past racial atrocities to be taken off the market.
No more flag on the shelves, no more N word music or movies to be made or sold and no more pictures like you just posted on the internet. Now I don't think you are hypocritical so I'm asking you to show you mean it when you sound sensitive to reminders like what you pointed out that flag was.

Let's get rid of things that remind of a painful past just as you pointed out.

Yet, you want that hateful flag to fly on government property..
When did I ever say any thing about government property? When did any one confine it to that? Racial insults and injuries are racially so where ever you see them.

rainee

I don't. History does. And it's not the culture of the South entirely or exclusively. It's the history of the use of that flag.
Which history includes the whole country at one time or other. As Tets pics kind of demonstrated. But I hope we can keep the Stars and Stripes flag, regardless, don't you?
We might not be able to tear down everything - and any way this generation has to rely on some one telling them so hopefully they will get tools what is best for them to hear in the United States.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
When did I ever say any thing about government property?

That's what we have been discussing.

The vast majority of the population of the USA wants to eliminate Confederate Flags from government property. Most have already succeeded in doing so.

That's all anyone is asking.

However, there are a few racists who want the Confederate Flag to fly on government property at Columbia, South Carolina, where the Confederate Flag still flies on government property.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
no more N word

Assuming you are white, why would the N word bother you if black people are using it with each other?

The only time the N word is offensive, is if a white person uses it towards a black person.

How could you be offended by a black person calling another black person the N word?

rainee

Assuming you are white, why would the N word bother you if black people are using it with each other?

The only time the N word is offensive, is if a white person uses it towards a black person.

How could you be offended by a black person calling another black person the N word?
I thought you said every time people of color saw the Confederate Flag they were reminded of bad things like lynchings in the 1930's in Indiana. No I just checked I didn't think that you said that.

What's your deal?
Are you playing games now?

The N word has a racist history. Period.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...The flag needs to go from any government held property, aside from being a museum piece.
Suits me.

The Klan and other violent racist groups have adopted the Confederate battle flag as their symbol and the South, under that flag, was trying their best to preserve the institution of slavery, so all things considered and as a relative of the late General Lee, I think it's time to move on from that one. There's much to admire in Southern heritage. We don't have to drag the disgraceful parts of it that shouldn't be honored forward into the present century. A battle flag that represented slaveholders and the war they started to preserve their interests should be discarded by descendants of the majority who were so poorly used.

I thought I'd include something written by a friend of mine that has a different approach and one I think deserves airing here:

You know what, as a descendant of both Union and Confederate soldiers, I can honestly say...take all of them down...

Everyone who fought in that war is dead, I'm pretty sure that they won't mind either. Put them in history books and museums, where all the rest of our heritage is. If you are being honest with yourself, then you can't, as a white person, say that it will actually affect you if they take down all of the confederate flags that are flown in public places.

If you want to express your freedom of speech, by all means, buy yourself a Confederate flag and fly it over your house, or on your property, hell, march up and down Main Street waving it around and whistling Dixie to your hearts content.

You know who the confederate flag does affect? The black community, and before you start trying to give me your version of a history lesson, save your breath, I don't care what you think the flag represents, your opinion doesn't matter. What matters is that every time a black person looks up and sees a confederate flag flying on a public building that they paid taxes to build and maintain, it's a reminder. It reminds them that at one point in the history of our nation, their entire race was enslaved, it reminds them that they were considered second class citizens, with fewer rights than white people, for 100 years after their people were freed, and yeah, it offends them.

Why wouldn't it? Why isn't that enough reason to remove it? You ask why they are offended, why are you? Why are you taking it so personally? Because a dead guy that you never met, who happens to share your surname, fought in a war that you only know about because it is required school curriculum?...You want black people to stop bringing up slavery? Then stop reminding them of it.​

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I thought you said every time people of color saw the Confederate Flag they were reminded of bad things like lynchings in the 1930's in Indiana.

Yes, the Confederate Flag reminds people not only of lynchings, but slavery, segregation, and other racial hatred that whites had for blacks in the South.

What's your deal?
Are you playing games now?

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A battle flag that represented slaveholders and the war they started to preserve their interests should be discarded by descendants of the majority who were so poorly used.

Thanks for posting in this thread.

I was hoping you would make it hear. I wasn't 100% sure what your thoughts on the Confederate Flag would be, since I know you're a huge Alabama fan, and I assume from either Alabama, or some other Southern state. However, I had a hunch you would be against the flag, you don't seem like the Rebel type.

I thought I'd include something written by a friend of mine that has a different approach and one I think deserves airing here:

:thumb:

I couldn't agree more with your friend!!

drbrumley

:rotfl: This really is an amazing answer coming from you.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yet your the one who keeps on doing the reminding. :sigh:

Last I checked the Confederate Flag still flies at the S.C. capital, and is still on the Mississippi flag.

When they are removed, then I'll shut up.

P.S. You better watch out for the "your vs. you're" police, they have been out in full force lately here on TOL.