Sexual Orientation is not a Choice

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
You were already told that "sexual orientation" is a term made up to excuse the perversion of same gender sex.
ANd you have been told that your assertion is wrong. IT was term coined to make discussion of the topic easier, more refined. It was not coined to excuse a behavior though people do attempt to use it that way. A sociopath is orientated such that they are far more likely to become killers. When they do, we do not excuse their behavior because they were born that way, they are held accountable for it (we hope). Same with homosexuality, that you were born with those attractions does not mean that you are free to indulge them

You really should start paying attention to the thread topic before going off and proving you are a mindless stepford wife who parrots the liberal agenda against Christianity.
I'm as liberal as Jesus was. I believe in caring for those who need it. I believe in high moral norms as defined in scripture. I think your homophobia, and it does appear to be a phobia with you, does far more to harm the Body of Christ than to help it.

glassjester

In my opinion, yes. The difference is subtle, but real. A sexual desire is low key, along the lines of, "I find that woman attractive." My eyes my linger a bit longer than usual as I find her desirable. But that is all. If I feel lust then my thoughts focus on that person and I will start looking for ways to satisfy that lust with that person.

That makes sense.

Would I be correct in saying that John's sexual desire becomes lust when John fixates on sexual thoughts?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You mean totalitarianism, not communism. The ideal religious community, according the the Bible, is a commune. While what has been called "communism" by Russia and China and various other fascist states around true world was not really communism at all, it was fascist totalitarianism masquerading as communism.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one to recognize this fact.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
That makes sense.

Would I be correct in saying that John's sexual desire becomes lust when John fixates on sexual thoughts?
Assuming you are saying that his thoughts are focused on an individual and regard having sex with that individual, yes. But what if they are married? Even in marriage, lust can be a bad thing. I think a little lust between spouses is a good thing. To much lust pushes God out of the union and that is a bad thing.

glassjester

Assuming you are saying that his thoughts are focused on an individual and regard having sex with that individual, yes. But what if they are married?

For the sake of the conversation let's say he's not yet married.

Alright, so John's sexual desire became lust.

And is lust a sin?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
For the sake of the conversation let's say he's not yet married.

Alright, so John's sexual desire became lust.

And is lust a sin?
Interesting question. Jesus says:
Matthew 5:27-28New International Version (NIV) 27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[a] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So it would seem that when we begin to lust after somebody we are not married to, we would be guilty of sin if judged under the law.

glassjester

Interesting question. Jesus says:
Matthew 5:27-28New International Version (NIV) 27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[a] 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

So it would seem that when we begin to lust after somebody we are not married to, we would be guilty of sin if judged under the law.

Did John sin when he began to lust?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Did John sin when he began to lust?
If judged under the law, yes. But I believe that Jesus completed that law and feelings of lust, while very unwise, are not in and of themselves sinful. No, I don't think John sinned when he lusted.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I believe lust is a sin. Jesus said anyone who lusts has committed adultery in his heart.

Why do you say lust is not a sin?
Because apart from the law, there is no sin. I believe that when Jesus said, "It is finished." as He died on the cross that He was saying that His mission to redeem us to His Father and free us from judgment under the law was complete. That His sacrifice complete the law of the profits and we are no longer judged under that law. As such, lust is not a sin.

Does that mean that we are free to do was we please? No.
Galatians 3:21-26English Standard Version (ESV) 21 Is the law then contrary to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could give life, then righteousness would indeed be by the law. 22 But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
23 Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. 24 So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, 26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.

1 Corinthians 6:9-20

Lust should be avoided because it will lead you into sexual immorality and sexual immorality will keep you out of God's Kingdom.

Sancocho

Because apart from the law, there is no sin. I believe that when Jesus said, "It is finished." as He died on the cross that He was saying that His mission to redeem us to His Father and free us from judgment under the law was complete. That His sacrifice complete the law of the profits and we are no longer judged under that law. As such, lust is not a sin.

"As such, lust is not a sin."

Nor child sacrifice, nor homosexual marriage nor indoctrination of children for than matter.

Now that sin is "done away with" the only "real" measure of being Christian is claiming one "knows" Jesus, usually by quoting lots of Scripture. Conspicuously, anyone one else that does the same is somehow not saved, but is a son of the devil.

This is the dynamic that has separated the Body of Christ in the US and made it the disgrace of Christian nations in the world today.

glassjester

1 John 1:

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

Everyone sins.

There is no one on Earth that does not sin.

Lust is not a sin? Nonsense. And you know it.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
"As such, lust is not a sin."

Nor child sacrifice, nor homosexual marriage nor indoctrination of children for than matter.

Now that sin is "done away with" the only "real" measure of being Christian is claiming one "knows" Jesus, usually by quoting lots of Scripture. Conspicuously, anyone one else that does the same is somehow not saved, but is a son of the devil.

This is the dynamic that has separated the Body of Christ in the US and made it the disgrace of Christian nations in the world today.
You can ignore what Paul had to say about the law becoming our teacher to teach us what a Christian life should be. I don't ignore it and learn from it so I don't make the erroneous claims like you just made.