Rebuttal of the dreadful doctrine of reprobation

God's Truth

That the works of the law Paul relates to more than just the ceremonial aspects is clear from Romans 10:1-5

Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them.

Paul quotes from Leviticus 18:

Vv. 1-5
The Lord said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.

Moses then proceeds to list a number of laws regarding sexual practice.

You haven't disproved anything that I said. Those scripture prove what I aay.

God's Truth

I made clear argument from scripture that shows Paul was talking about all of the law. If you are going to rebut what I posted then it would require more than just what you have posted here.

Are you kidding? What don't you get about Jesus coming to earth to MAKE A NEW COVENANT?

When Jesus came to earth, he gave the commands and guidelines for the NEW COVENANT, and then he shed his blood for the NEW COVENANT.

Luke 22:20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Paul says he is a MINISTER of a NEW COVENANT, and that it is THE MINISTRY/COVENANT of the SPIRIT.

Romans 11:27
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

2 Corinthians 2:12
[ Ministers of the New Covenant ] Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me,.

God's Truth

v.5
Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them."

GT - what are 'these things'?

Read and study all the things the Jews had to do just to worship God:

The Burnt Offering; The Grain Offering; The Fellowship Offering; The Sin Offering; The Guilt Offering; Dietary Laws; Purification After Childbirth; Cleansing From Infectious Skin Diseases; Cleansing From Mildew; Discharges Causing Uncleanness; The Day of Atonement; Rules for Priests; The Sabbath; Firstfruits; The Passover and Unleavened Bread; Feast of Weeks; Feast of Trumpets; Feast of Tabernacles; Oil and Bread Set Before The LORD; the Sabbath Year; The Year of Jubilee; Circumcision.

Sonnet

Are you kidding? What don't you get about Jesus coming to earth to MAKE A NEW COVENANT?

When Jesus came to earth, he gave the commands and guidelines for the NEW COVENANT, and then he shed his blood for the NEW COVENANT.

Luke 22:20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Paul says he is a MINISTER of a NEW COVENANT, and that it is THE MINISTRY/COVENANT of the SPIRIT.

Romans 11:27
For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

2 Corinthians 2:12
[ Ministers of the New Covenant ] Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me,.

Nothing to disagree with here.

Are you going to deal with my post or not?

Sonnet

Read and study all the things the Jews had to do just to worship God:

The Burnt Offering; The Grain Offering; The Fellowship Offering; The Sin Offering; The Guilt Offering; Dietary Laws; Purification After Childbirth; Cleansing From Infectious Skin Diseases; Cleansing From Mildew; Discharges Causing Uncleanness; The Day of Atonement; Rules for Priests; The Sabbath; Firstfruits; The Passover and Unleavened Bread; Feast of Weeks; Feast of Trumpets; Feast of Tabernacles; Oil and Bread Set Before The LORD; the Sabbath Year; The Year of Jubilee; Circumcision.

Non-sequitur.

I asked a specific question which you have ignored.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
v.5
Moses writes this about the righteousness that is by the law: “The person who does these things will live by them."

GT - what are 'these things'?

I see things are getting pretty destitute around here having to interact with god's truth.

Don't believe a word she says.

If she posts a picture of herself I'll take her off ignore. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

God's Truth

Nothing to disagree with here.

Are you going to deal with my post or not?

I already dealt with your post. What don't you get about the purification/ceremonial laws are the WORKS no one has to do anymore? Who has fooled you so completely that you think God nailed obeying Him to the cross? Who has fooled you so deeply that you cannot see the MANY scriptures saying to obey, and even WARNING US?

What don't you get about Jesus giving us a NEW COVENANT?

God's Truth

I see things are getting pretty destitute around here having to interact with god's truth.

Don't believe a word she says.

If she posts a picture of herself I'll take her off ignore. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Yeah you know I got a sword and know how to use it.

Sonnet

I already dealt with your post.

No you have not.

What don't you get about the purification/ceremonial laws are the WORKS no one has to do anymore?

I get that.

Who has fooled you so completely that you think God nailed obeying Him to the cross? Who has fooled you so deeply that you cannot see the MANY scriptures saying to obey, and even WARNING US?

Indeed, scripture does say this.

What don't you get about Jesus giving us a NEW COVENANT?

I get it.

Sonnet

Go ahead and ask it again, and I will try again to explain. Maybe ask it another way, or explain better.

v.5

What are the 'these things' Moses refers to? Paul quotes Moses from Leviticus 18:1-5:

The Lord said to Moses, “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the Lord your God. You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord.

The laws and decrees Moses refers to would include all those he has previously written about and those he specifies here - laws regarding sexual practice.

God's Truth

v.5

What are the 'these things' Moses refers to? Paul quotes Moses from Leviticus 18:1-5:

The laws and decrees Moses refers to would include all those he has previously written about and those he specifies here - laws regarding sexual practice.

Right, and? They will live by obeying God.

Sonnet

Right, and? They will live by obeying God.

You argued that the references to 'works of the law' are about ceremonies - but Paul, speaking about salvation through faith rather than the law in Romans 10, quotes Moses regarding this 'righteousness that is by the law'. Moses SPECIFICALLY says:

"Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord."

He (Moses) then goes on to cite laws about sexual practice.

So Paul is referring to all the law - he is saying that salvation will not come through establishing ones righteousness through this law - rather, one does so through faith.

God's Truth

You argued that the references to 'works of the law' are about ceremonies - but Paul, speaking about salvation through faith rather than the law in Romans 10, quotes Moses regarding this 'righteousness that is by the law'. Moses SPECIFICALLY says:

"Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the Lord."

He (Moses) then goes on to cite laws about sexual practice.

So Paul is referring to all the law - he is saying that salvation will not come through establishing ones righteousness through this law - rather, one does so through faith.

The whole law goes together. The old law had many commands of what not to do, and what to do, and then there were the purification/ceremonial laws. A person had to refrain from sinning, do right, and they had to make themselves clean. That is the works we no longer have to do. The good news is not that we no longer have sexual laws to obey. Jesus came and gave us the commands for the new covenant, and those commands also were about sexual sins we were not to do, and about not stealing, etc.

Tell me, what exactly do you think we have to have faith of? Maybe then you will see how you are misunderstanding Paul.

Sonnet

The whole law goes together. The old law had many commands of what not to do, and what to do, and then there were the purification/ceremonial laws. A person had to refrain from sinning, do right, and they had to make themselves clean. That is the works we no longer have to do. The good news is not that we no longer have sexual laws to obey. Jesus came and gave us the commands for the new covenant, and those commands also were about sexual sins we were not to do, and about not stealing, etc.

Tell me, what exactly do you think we have to have faith of? Maybe then you will see how you are misunderstanding Paul.

You can't have understood the point I was making. You say that Paul, referring to Abraham's salvation by faith rather than works (Romans 4) is not a reference to the law in general but the laws regarding ceremonies - but Paul specifically makes this law of works a reference to all the law by quoting Moses as I have shown.

I am saying you are wrong to limit 'works of the law' to 'ceremonies of the law'.