Poll: Do you agree with this picture?

Poll: Do you agree with this picture?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yep. It's also co-death, which does not appeal to the religious, and co-resurrection, which they view as merely figurative or poetic language, but not literal.

You guys understand that its your interpretation of the picture that you're objecting too, right?

You're reading all sort of things into it that just are not there intrinsically.

musterion

You guys understand that its your interpretation of the picture that you're objecting too, right?

You're reading all sort of things into it that just are not there intrinsically.

Which interpretation is more likely held by most religious and even nonreligious people:

1. Picture shows what people who are already saved need to do with their lives.

2. Picture shows how one gets saved.

musterion

Same question with this sticker.

have_you_given_your_heart_to_jesus_bumper_sticker-r3aa01d012fd946aabebd7eddeec91e40_v9wht_8byvr_324.jpg

What will most people think that means?

Nanja

Why were they chosen?

The answer to your question is found right here:

Eph. 1:4
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

~~~~~

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Which interpretation is more likely held by most religious and even nonreligious people:

1. Picture shows what people who are already saved need to do with their lives.

2. Picture shows how one gets saved.

The fact that you can get either message (and perhaps others) shows that the issue isn't with the picture is with the theological worldview of the viewer.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder - perhaps good doctrine is as well.

musterion

The fact that you can get either message (and perhaps others) shows that the issue isn't with the picture is with the theological worldview of the viewer.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder - perhaps good doctrine is as well.

You didn't answer the question, but that's okay.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Nope, I surely don't.

Well, it happens to be the very gospel itself.

Here, read this (it won't take long I promise). It's just a short little chapter of a larger work call "Principles of Spiritual Growth" by Miles J. Stanford. It not only explains "Resting in Him" is happens to be directly pertinent to this thread.

Chapter 15—Rest

Resting in Him,
Clete

musterion

It's a bit cliche, in my opinion. And broad- it opens up a lot of room for misinterpretation which is a growing problem in Christianity today.

I agree.

I'm convinced it was intended as, or at least influenced by, the false Lordship Salvation "gospel."

Although this list is by no means complete, following are some of the terms that are associated with Lordship salvation as being requirements for receiving eternal life:

“Repent of your sins”
“Turn from your sins”
“Be willing to turn from your sins”
“Put Christ on the throne of your life”
“Give your life to Christ”
“Commit to follow Christ”

heir

TOL Subscriber
Then again, there's...

Romans 10:10's "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
Context is king and Romans 10:9-10 KJV is what Israel failed to do. It is not the gospel of our salvation. And how is it that Israel confessed their sins?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You didn't answer the question, but that's okay.

How am I supposed to know which is more likely? It would depend on which group of believers you showed it too. Take that picture to Bob Enyart's church and you'll 100% doctrinally correct answers. Take it most anywhere else and the numbers won't be so good. But who cares? My point to you isn't that your doctrine is wrong but that this picture doesn't have to mean what you say it means, that false doctrine is not inherent to the picture.

musterion

Miles Stanford was not the most consistent dispensationalist but he nailed this.

"Lordship salvation is not the childlike faith of John 3:16. It rightly insists upon repentance but wrongly includes a change of behavior IN ORDER TO BE SAVED. No one questions that there must be a sincere change of mind, a turning from oneself to the Savior, but Lordship advocates attempt to make behavior and fruit essential ingredients of, rather than evidence of, saving faith" (Miles Stanford, in his review of The Gospel According to Jesus).

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The answer to your question is found right here:

Eph. 1:4
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

~~~~~
No, you misunderstood the question.

Eph. 1:4 is perhaps the purpose - the goal but the question I'm asking is about the cause.

What caused God to pick one person to be elect and not some other person?