Poll: Do you agree with this picture?

Poll: Do you agree with this picture?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I understand the picture by the words used. One of the promises of the Father is that he will give us a new heart and a new spirit. Why would he want back the new heart he gave us?

Because its His to begin with.

1 Corinthians 6:20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.​

Danoh

The context of this picture (at least where I found it being used) is how one becomes right with God through Christ. I agree with Nick that that's likely the sense with which it was created.

If anyone wants to view it as an illustration of what a saved person should do with (I guess) their Christian life...well...okay...that's up to them. I would humbly point out to such is still very off the mark. Not only is the believer already owned as a bought-and-paid-for slave; Christ is already the believer's LIFE. The old heart has already been crucified. So I don't know what a believer giving his heart to Christ, or Him accepting it, would depict. The believer's heart [life] already belongs to Him. It IS Him.

A far better cartoon, to make that point, would show the new man putting to death the old man's deeds. A cartoon of the believer walking by the Spirit would be much tougher to pull off.

And call me a legalist if you want but I will always despise any attempt to visually depict Christ.

Anyhoo, if that's being nitpicky, tough. I won't apologize. There's too much sloppiness already with the Word of God, and it helps put people in the Lake.

I was merely pulling your leg when I posted the Romans 10 passage (am well aware of the "give your heart to Jesus" or works based crowd that good ol Nick right off concluded I might be unaware of.)

I figured you were referring to said crowd.

At the same time, you did ask everyone what that image meant to them.

And you did so without providing them a context.

Filling in their own, they answered your question from that.

As did those who were aware of your context.

You make no apologies.

Ok.

But those who answered what it meant to them, do not owe one either - you did not provide a context.

The very point of my original post.

No biggie, if we can all learn something of use from this...:)

Danoh

It makes sense why this is such a popular "gospel" hook these days. It gives you something to do to help save yourself (YOU made a deal with Jesus by giving Him something, so He kinda owes you), and it lets you believe your heart really isn't all that bad (He accepts your heart rather than it being co-crucified as unredeemably wicked). Pure fleshly sentiment under the curse of Galatians 1:8-9.

Some thoughts in further support on this issue...

1- The "give your heart/life to Jesus" crowd is actually Israel's Lordship salvation.

It is Scriptural. But there is a difference between merely being Scriptural and being Dispensationally Scriptural - a huge, huge diferrence as to who's meat and its' due season.

Luke 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of meat in due season?

Israel's Stewards were to have given Israel the following, but had consistently failed to...

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Notice - He was the Lord thy God - which is NOT our gospel.

Israel's "repent" was the issue of THEIR being called to turn BACK TO the God of THEIR fathers.

They had NOT been loving Him "with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."

2 - Today's "give your heart to Jesus" is about emotion; about one feeling good that one walked the aisle (a work), repented, prayed the prayer (a work), and all the rest, and as a result; one FEELS better, FEELS good about himself, FEELS close to God, and all the rest.

Its all about "FEELING" this, that, the other...

For these types, it is NOT about FAITH in an intelligent understanding of the Word.

For them, it is NOT about an intelligance based on the Word, rightly divided.

For them it is about FEELING - "I repented and FEEL better."

In contrast to Paul's point about these fool "leadings..."

1 Corinthians 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I think the picture just says we have nothing to give to God. We only have our heart, and that's all God wants. And we're not "giving" our heart because we think God needs it or to justify our salvation

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Spirit is his also, do you give it back or do you use it?

Give it back?

Are you being intentionally obtuse? How do you give God back Himself? It's complete nonsense!

If anyone has a problem with that picture its because they're just being difficult and wanting to strain at gnats.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Clete is resting, don't wake him. He needs his rest.

You're one post away from my permanent ignore list.

There's not too many people on that one. Make fun of who I am in Christ once more and you'll join the club though.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You're one post away from my permanent ignore list.

There's not too many people on that one. Make fun of who I am in Christ once more and you'll join the club though.

"Resting in Him,
Clete"

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The picture is a representation of the false gospel of the sinner's prayer and giving your heart to Jesus. Being in the Body of Christ is not a changed life, it is an exchanged life.

Nanja

The picture is a representation of the false gospel of the sinner's prayer and giving your heart to Jesus. Being in the Body of Christ is not a changed life, it is an exchanged life.

Being in the Body of Christ is a Privilege given exclusively to Gods Election of Grace John 3:27; Rom. 11:5, Chosen in Union with Him before the world began Eph. 1:4-5; 2 Tim. 1:9.

~~~~~

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Being in the Body of Christ is a Privilege given exclusively to Gods Election of Grace John 3:27; Rom. 11:5, Chosen in Union with Him before the world began Eph. 1:4-5; 2 Tim. 1:9.

~~~~~

Why were they chosen?

musterion

Yep. It's also co-death, which does not appeal to the religious (they don't see why it's needed) and co-resurrection, which they view as mere warm fuzzy figurative language or rhetorical flourish, but not literally true.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I used to as well. Truly hated it. Then someone made me actual good coffee.

I want to meet the guy who was the first person who ever drank coffee twice.

Anyone can make a mistake and drink bitter, black death water once. I want to meet the guy who went back for seconds.