Ph.D in Pot & the G.H.W. Bush Legacy

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Still doesn't change the fact that you're trying to make your argument on anecdotal evidence.

Which just doesn't fly here.

What doesn't fly is your lack of personal observation or experience, which leads you to draw erroneous conclusions about cannabis based on skewed reporting that has more in common with the "Reefer Madness" movie than with reality.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
health-benefits-of-medical-marijuana.jpg

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I DID address your argument. You claimed, "But one inhale on a joint of weed is enough to produce a high." And I told you that isn't true, plain and simple. Got any more arguments?

Depends on the sensitivity of the user and the potency of the weed.

One puff in '67 was not enough but one puff in '78 after years of Yogic purification and meditation was more than enough.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Depends on the sensitivity of the user and the potency of the weed.

One puff in '67 was not enough but one puff in '78 after years of Yogic purification and meditation was more than enough.

I'll take your word for that, but I've never seen it or experienced it for myself, so I would have to say that such cases are the exception rather than the rule. (Certainly, most people have never done years of Yogic purification.)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I'll take your word for that, but I've never seen it or experienced it for myself, so I would have to say that such cases are the exception rather than the rule. (Certainly, most people have never done years of Yogic purification.)
Which is why anecdotal evidence is not good enough to defend a position.

But you seem to keep ignoring that.
He isn't going to believe it....
What I believe has nothing to do with it.

Facts are where it's at.
I have already said and conceded that pot has medicinal uses. But that's not what we're discussing.

I also said that it SHOULD NOT be self-prescribed or an over-the-counter drug. It should only be mercifully prescribed by a doctor to those who need it.

Here is why it should be controlled:

People who smoke pot are two and a half times more likely to be violent.

Teens who smoke pot regularly are 26 TIMES more likely to start using other drugs.

People who smoke pot are nearly 5 TIMES more likely to have a heart attack within the first hour of use.

Pot use restricts blood flow to the brain, especially in the memory/dementia region.

Pot users are more likely to be losers.

Pot mutates one's DNA.

Just one minute of secondhand smoke from marijuana (let alone actually smoking it yourself) impairs endothelial function.

Smoking pot harms eyesight by damaging the nerves that connect your retinas to your visual cortex.

Strong pot yields hallucination, paranoia, and schizophrenia in nearly a quarter of those newly diagnosed

100 varieties of pot damage nerve fibres that handle the flow of messages across the two halves of the brain.

And there are many other reasons besides these 10 at http://kgov.com/pot.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Right now it isn't....

At the rate this country is going, that's where we're headed.

you catch someone breaking this so called law, and your the judge, what do you do?

Have them flogged for putting society and those around them at risk.

Say, 5 lashes if they're a first time offender. 20 for second time, 40 for third, and execution for any time after that, because they clearly are unwilling to comply with the demands of society.

drbrumley

At the rate this country is going, that's where we're headed.

Say, 5 lashes if they're a first time offender. 20 for second time, 40 for third, and execution for any time after that, because they clearly are unwilling to comply with the demands of society.

Execution? Wow man, Over a plant.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Execution? Wow man, Over a plant.
DrBrumley, I didn't expect you to be one who misrepresents his opponents arguments. That's something I expect from liberals and leftists.

Please go read what I said again and pay attention.

I said that if they were caught 3 times (with each time they are caught resulting in more lashes than the last), the fourth would result in their execution, because they are unwilling to abide by the rules of society.

Ignoring part of my argument and then saying I'm unreasonable is something I expect from Arthur, not you. Should I start expecting such arguments from you now?

WizardofOz

Which is why anecdotal evidence is not good enough to defend a position.

But you seem to keep ignoring that.What I believe has nothing to do with it.

Facts are where it's at.I have already said and conceded that pot has medicinal uses. But that's not what we're discussing.

I also said that it SHOULD NOT be self-prescribed or an over-the-counter drug. It should only be mercifully prescribed by a doctor to those who need it.

Here is why it should be controlled:

Teens who smoke pot regularly are 26 TIMES more likely to start using other drugs.

People who smoke pot are nearly 5 TIMES more likely to have a heart attack within the first hour of use.

Pot use restricts blood flow to the brain, especially in the memory/dementia region.

Pot users are more likely to be losers.

Pot mutates one's DNA.

Just one minute of secondhand smoke from marijuana (let alone actually smoking it yourself) impairs endothelial function.

Smoking pot harms eyesight by damaging the nerves that connect your retinas to your visual cortex.

Strong pot yields hallucination, paranoia, and schizophrenia in nearly a quarter of those newly diagnosed

100 varieties of pot damage nerve fibres that handle the flow of messages across the two halves of the brain.

I was interested in looking at some of these claims. I started with your first and found a big problem. You said

That is NOT what the study concluded. Please look at it again and let me know how your comment was misleading by missing a key component of the methodology used. :e4e:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I was interested in looking at some of these claims. I started with your first and found a big problem. You said

That is NOT what the study concluded. Please look at it again and let me know how your comment was misleading by missing a key component of the methodology used. :e4e:
From the study:

"Patients who reported having used cannabis at each follow-up periods were 2.44 times more likely to display violent behaviors"

Did I miss something?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
"Patients". These were 1,136 recently discharged psychiatric patients not just random "people".
Patients are still people, are they not?

These patients, who are people, still smoked pot, did they not?

:think:

Stop discriminating against patients!
:mock:

WizardofOz

Patients are still people, are they not?

These patients, who are people, still smoked pot, did they not?

:think:

Stop discriminating against patients!
:mock:

Do you see a major difference between these two statements:
People who smoke pot are two and a half times more likely to be violent
vs
Recently discharged psychiatric patients who reported having used cannabis at each follow-up periods were 2.44 times more likely to display violent behaviors

I am just trying to determine if you left out the type of control used by accident or intentionally in order to mislead what the findings actually imply.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

Funny thing about that list of reasons is that they are worse for alcohol and/or tobacco than they are for marijuana. For example, the claim that marijuana damages DNA:

Scientists have measured the catastrophic genetic damage caused by smoking in different organs of the body and identified several different mechanisms by which tobacco smoking causes mutations in DNA. Researchers at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, the Los Alamos National Laboratory and their collaborators found smokers accumulated an average of 150 extra mutations in every lung cell for each year of smoking one packet of cigarettes a day...​

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161103140559.htm

And regarding the claim that marijuana is a gateway drug, tobacco and alcohol are also gateway drugs:

A new study in mice shows how tobacco products could act as gateway drugs, opening the door to use of illicit drugs. Nicotine, the researchers found, makes the brain more susceptible to cocaine addiction. The finding suggests that lowering smoking rates in young people might help reduce cocaine abuse.

Scientists have long recognized that cigarettes and alcohol raise the risk for later use of illicit drugs like marijuana and cocaine.​

Source: https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/why-nicotine-gateway-drug

The negative effects of tobacco and alcohol consumption are, by every standard of measure, worse than the negative effects of marijuana consumption. That being the case, do you think the same draconian punishments should apply to consumers of tobacco and alcohol that you advocate for consumers of marijuana?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The negative effects of tobacco and alcohol consumption are, by every standard of measure, worse than the negative effects of marijuana consumption. That being the case, do you think the same draconian punishments should apply to consumers of tobacco and alcohol that you advocate for consumers of marijuana?

I think that if someone is intoxicated, they should be punished.

Drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco doesn't immediately make one intoxicated. In fact, it can (at least as far as alcohol is concerned, not sure about tobacco) provide health benefits.

Drinking and smoking tobacco is fine.

Being drunk or high is the line that is drawn by God.

Hence not flogging someone for a prescription given to him by a doctor, but flogging the pothead.