"OSAS" people are not answering this question.

elohiym

Way to miss my point.

I was only pointing out that you missed her point, and then I shared the scripture that supported her point, so that you might not miss her point again. As for your point ...

With whom does God's Truth "keep company" (1 Corinthians 5:11 KJV), if God's Truth, is never found, in "a church?" Where people take communion, in remembrance of our Lord Jesus Christ?

Of course, I can't answer for her.

I don't attend a local congregation of any denomination but have a growing home church. We'd neither share communion nor keep company with those who continue in sin. On this forum I am forced to interact with such people in order to share the good news that will hopefully free them and others from the bondage of sin.

Dan Emanuel

I can eat with one other person and there Jesus is in our midst.

What church do you go to? Do you spur others on to obey? Do you throw them out if you find out they are sinning? You do not obey the scriptures, yet you want to teach me what they mean.

God does not want us in false churches.
You take that to mean that God does not want us in any church's though. :rolleyes:

When our Lord said, "Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do," He did not mean, "Log-in, go insane." Why don't you do, what He actually said to do in remembrance of Him?

DJ

elohiym

The idea that we sin but should not pursue a "lifestyle" of sin is clear in the writings of John.

I don't see where he distinguishes a "lifestyle" of sin from a single sin. "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him." Doesn't that verse alone prove my position? How can you know him now, then develop a lifestyle of sin that suddenly results in you never knowing him? See? It doesn't make sense the way you are reading it.

The Greek present tense which John often uses indicates that the action (in this case, sin) is ongoing and repetitive. A "walk" is not one step but a whole pattern of life. When he says "if anyone sins he has an advocate" he uses the past tense to show that it is about committing a sin and not living in it.

The passage also supports what I believe. Sure, I can understand why you have interpreted the passage as you have, but you should consider the context and the other passages in the same epistle and throughout the Bible that cast doubt on your interpretation. Let's consider one example from the same epistle:

According to 1 John 3:15, a murderer does not have eternal life abiding in him; ergo, he's not a believer. Can you agree that it is impossible for a born again person to commit murder, and if a person commits murder it is absolute proof that he isn't a believer while he's committing murder? I'm not asking if a person can become a Christian after being a murderer, but if a murder can possibly be a believer while he is murdering someone.

A lifestyle of sin cannot be precisely measured by "how many times" a person sins. A pattern of sin develops like cancer. It begins locally then proliferates metastasizing until it dominates. As the thorns choke the new life we eventually get to the place where our conscience is hardened and we do not care anymore.

I disagree. When you covet something just once, according to the true definition of coveting, it reflects a state of mind and your lifestyle. If you covet your neighbor's wife, you have broken at least two commandments but also violated the foundational principle of the law: Matthew 7:12.

elohiym

"Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God." -- Paul

πράσσοντες is better translated as "doing" rather than "practice." Regardless, it's obvious that a person cannot simultaneously be an idolater and a believer at the same time; they are mutually exclusive ideas. Furthermore, at least some of those acts listed, assuming those are proper translations, involve hatred of another person. This is where John's first epistle refutes the idea that a believer could do those particular acts:

"If someone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen." -- John

Can you be a believer and at the same time not love God? No. If you have not seen God because you hate your brother (commit those sinful acts against him), have you seen Christ? No; hence the point of 1 John 3:6. How much more proof do you need?

elohiym

Psalm 119:11 KJV

Doesn't mean what you are implying.

Here's another scripture that proves GT's point:

"So the word of the LORD to them will be, "Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there," That they may go and stumble backward, be broken, snared and taken captive."

Them does not refer to believers but does refer to those it is written, "Hearing they cannot hear, and seeing they cannot see."

Shasta

She clearly doesn't see that believers are all "children of the light". One clue after another .......missed.

1 Thessalonians 5:5
Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

We are not CHILDREN of light because we took one step into the light once upon a time when we were first saved but because we continue to WALK in it day by day. That is the significance of John's use of the continual present tense. We are children of light because we continue to walk in the light and not in the darkness. Think about it this way: if we could do nothing other than walk in the light John would not have needed to tell us to do it. It would have been automatic

Taking a step is something we do. Walking refers to the life-pattern of our decisions. Light refers to God's nature of truth and holiness. It has moral implications. Only the Gnostics taught that the light inside was something existential that had nothing to do with their actions.

elohiym

We are not CHILDREN of light because we took one step into the light once upon a time when we were first saved but because we continue to WALK in it day by day. That is the significance of John's use of the continual present tense. We are children of light because we continue to walk in the light and not in the darkness. Think about it this way: if we could do nothing other than walk in the light John would not have needed to tell us to do it. It would have been automatic.

"The one who says he is in the Light and yet hates his brother is in the darkness until now."

To sin, even a single sin, is to walk in darkness. You cannot sin, which is an act of hatred against another, and at the same time claim you are walking in the light. Furthermore, you cannot go back and forth between walking in the light and darkness.

"For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame."

"For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a terrifying expectation of judgment and THE FURY OF A FIRE WHICH WILL CONSUME THE ADVERSARIES. Anyone who has set aside the Law of Moses dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much severer punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY." And again, "THE LORD WILL JUDGE HIS PEOPLE." It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Taking a step is something we do. Walking refers "walk" is referring to the life-pattern of our decisions. Light refers to God's nature of truth and holiness. It has moral implications. Only the Gnostics tauught that the light inside was something existential that had nothing to do with their actions.

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh." Logically, if someone is manifesting the deeds of the flesh (sinning), he is not walking in the Spirit. If he was walking in the Spirit then he would fulfil the lust of the flesh, as Paul correctly claims.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
We are not CHILDREN of light because we took one step into the light once upon a time when we were first saved but because we continue to WALK in it day by day. That is the significance of John's use of the continual present tense. We are children of light because we continue to walk in the light and not in the darkness. Think about it this way: if we could do nothing other than walk in the light John would not have needed to tell us to do it. It would have been automatic

Taking a step is something we do. Walking refers to the life-pattern of our decisions. Light refers to God's nature of truth and holiness. It has moral implications. Only the Gnostics taught that the light inside was something existential that had nothing to do with their actions.

I'll take Glorydaz opinions over yours, any old day. No offence
intended. She is a "Grace Gospel" (Paul's Gospel) believer and
has Spiritual discernment. Whereas, many of you do not. Those
who have the sealing and indwelling of the Holy Spirit are led by
the Holy Spirit.

StanJ

One sin does not takes us OUT of the light. John does indeed convey staying in the light but you assume a sin will blot out the light, and that is just not so.

elohiym

One sin does not takes us OUT of the light. John does indeed convey staying in the light but you assume a sin will blot out the light, and that is just not so.

One cannot be walking in the Spirit and fulfilling the deeds of the flesh at the same time. Read Galatians 5.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
OSAS is a fundamental Christian doctrine. Anyone who believes otherwise,
either, isn't a "True Believer" or they're ignorant of the truth of God's
written Word. Spiritual immaturity could allow them to be in that state,
as well.

StanJ

One cannot be walking in the Spirit and fulfilling the deeds of the flesh at the same time. Read Galatians 5.

One is NOT walking in the flesh when one sins. Walking in the flesh is a LIFESTYLE, and those people are NOT Christians, or have become apostates.

I would appreciate if you would be unequivocal about this issue. Do you sin or not?