On Deservedness

Status
Not open for further replies.

glorydaz

IF those gay guys (in your scenario) cannot control themselves, they need to wear blinders ... stay at home ... or they should be behind bars.

The most disturbing part of this whole discussion is the dangerous, evil rapists (such as Larry Singleton) are being seen as a righteous, vigilantes of justice.

It takes a special kind of evil to declare that women DESERVE to be raped.

It takes a special kind of stupid to suggest that men wear blinders in order to make the world safe for strippers.

No one has said rapists are "righteous", and only a fool would keep saying the same stuff over and over again. :chuckle:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That isn't what has been suggested ... as per the title of the OP: Deservedness. In this case, they are applying that word towards rape victims.

Women do not deserve to be raped.

OK. Let's put it another way then!
Women do not deserve to be raped but some women do not deserve rights of protection against rapists if they stray willingly or negligently into rapist territory and correspondingly they forfeit moral rights of complaint against rapists. Sure, the rapist retains his responsibility and should be punished but his punishment might be mitigated if the woman negligently or willingly provoked passions in him.
Example 1: The woman, dressed seductively, was walking in a public street: the rapist is fully responsible and bears the full punishment. The woman has the right to insist on full punishment.
Example 2: The woman lets him sleep in the same bed as her: his punishment will be no more than half the punishment of the first one. The woman does not have the right to insist on full punishment. She forfeited that by her stupidity.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
a-challenger-appears-13088-1250805654-10.jpg

musterion

Women do not deserve to be raped but some women do not deserve rights of protection against rapists if they stray willingly or negligently into rapist territory and correspondingly they forfeit moral rights of complaint against rapists. Sure, the rapist retains his responsibility and should be punished but his punishment might be mitigated if the woman negligently or willingly provoked passions in him.
Example 1: The woman, dressed seductively, was walking in a public street: the rapist is fully responsible and bears the full punishment. The woman has the right to insist on full punishment.
Example 2: The woman lets him sleep in the same bed as her: his punishment will be no more than half the punishment of the first one. The woman does not have the right to insist on full punishment. She forfeited that by her stupidity.

Very minor quibble -- the woman need not be dressed even remotely seductively (a big judgment call on which people would differ). To insist on that in your example will likely get you howls of "You're saying she deserved it!"

A woman who stupidly chooses to put herself in any situation, mindset or physical condition with an increased likelihood of rape - which common sense would warn her or any woman to avoid - bears a degree of responsibility for that choice, regardless of how she dressed. At the very least, she should be called on her stupidity.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Very minor quibble -- the woman need not be dressed even remotely seductively (a big judgment call on which people would differ). To insist on that in your example will likely get you howls of "You're saying she deserved it!"

A woman who stupidly chooses to put herself in any situation, mindset or physical condition with an increased likelihood of rape - which common sense would warn her or any woman to avoid - bears a degree of responsibility for that choice, regardless of how she dressed. At the very least, she should be called on her stupidity.

OK. I was just assuming that no one would disagree that if she were ordinarily attired and not seductively, then no issue would arise.

I want to add another thing which I feel is important:

In my last post I was talking about legal rights. I am not talking about the Christian's attitude or response. Christians should not be concerned with rights but with responsibilities. A Christian should help the woman afterwards regardless of how much they felt the woman's own conduct was a contributory factor. Christians should operate to a different standard to the rest of the world. Christians are not bound by law but live by the Spirit. Christians are not duty bound to give 10% but rather they are set free to give 100%. God sends rain to bless regardless of whether those who benefit from it are righteous or wicked. So should Christians be generous to all in need regardless of their perceived moral standing.

bybee

OK. I was just assuming that no one would disagree that if she were ordinarily attired and not seductively, then no issue would arise.

In my last post I was talking about legal rights. I am not talking about the Christian's attitude or response. Christians should not be concerned with rights but with responsibilities. A Christian should help the woman afterwards regardless of how much they felt the woman's own conduct was a contributory factor. Christians should operate to a different standard to the rest of the world. Christians are not bound by law but live by the Spirit. Christians are not duty bound to give 10% but rather they are set free to give 100%. God sends rain to bless regardless of whether those who benefit from it are righteous or wicked. So should Christians be generous to all in need regardless of their perceived moral standing.

Amen Brother! You have said what needed to be said! If we are Christians then we will not gloat over the misfortune of another nor will we ignore their pain and suffering.
We do not know what is around the corner heading our way. It is by our attitude toward others that we are known.
Thank you for this post!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Discussing the bad behaviors of some women equals hate? Holding them accountable for bad behaviour is even more hateful?

yes, in the feminist mind

The most disturbing part of this whole discussion is the dangerous, evil rapists (such as Larry Singleton) are being seen as a righteous, vigilantes of justice.

only if you're really really retarded

glorydaz

It's interesting, DR, that so many false accusations have flown around concerning how we are heartless because we have made the proclamation that people are responsible for their own actions. Recognizing a person's fault has nothing to do with how we treat victims, whether they are completely innocent or whether they contributed to their own victimhood in some way. The fact that we cannot have a discussion without personal attacks says more about the people involved in this discussion than whatever claims they might make concerning how caring they are and how evil the rest of us are.

Becoming so emotionally invested that this "great love" for victims is completely overshadowed by a mean spiritedness that is as far from LOVE as I've ever seen. In other words....don't believe half of what you hear on these threads. Claims have been made that are nothing more than figments of some overactive imaginations.

glorydaz

Amen Brother! You have said what needed to be said! If we are Christians then we will not gloat over the misfortune of another nor will we ignore their pain and suffering.
We do not know what is around the corner heading our way. It is by our attitude toward others that we are known.
Thank you for this post!

There's that overactive imagination hard at work.

This is why we can't have any kind of a reasonable discussion around here. Thank you for this post. :carryon:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That isn't what has been suggested ... as per the title of the OP: Deservedness. In this case, they are applying that word towards rape victims.

Women do not deserve to be raped.

Go ahead ... I stopped reading your post at the second sentence. There is no excuse for rape. EOS.

As you can see from the above exchange, you said the issue was one of deservedness. At no point have I said that women deserve to be raped. I have also expressly denied that. But you have moved the goalposts because you began by saying it was to do with with deservedness and then you make it an issue of excuses. No one is saying here (it seems to me) that women deserve to be raped. You seem to want to get to the EOS but in order to do that you have to ignore an obvious issue. The Bible says that there isn't even a righteous person who never sins. It seems to me that you want to make out that women are never wrong and men always are.
I may be wrong about your presuppositions, in which case I apologise, but that is how it seems to me. I hope you can correct me. Women don't always get it right. Making a mistake doesn't make you deserve to be raped but it doesn't mean either that the woman is entirely without fault. Again, I'm assuming that one of the purposes of this thread was to help women to avoid rape. Ending the story at 'there's no excuse for it' doesn't help anyone to move forward.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What scenario do you have in mind for Example 2? :AMR:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It was an actual life situation I remember reading about earlier in the thread that was linked to. Sorry can't remember exactly where.

So...a girl invites a guy into her bed, for whatever reason. She doesn't want to have sex. He forces it. And you think she should only get half protection?

glorydaz

As you can see from the above exchange, you said the issue was one of deservedness. At no point have I said that women deserve to be raped. I have also expressly denied that. But you have moved the goalposts because you began by saying it was to do with with deservedness and then you make it an issue of excuses. No one is saying here (it seems to me) that women deserve to be raped. You seem to want to get to the EOS but in order to do that you have to ignore an obvious issue. The Bible says that there isn't even a righteous person who never sins. It seems to me that you want to make out that women are never wrong and men always are.
I may be wrong about your presuppositions, in which case I apologise, but that is how it seems to me. I hope you can correct me. Women don't always get it right. Making a mistake doesn't make you deserve to be raped but it doesn't mean either that the woman is entirely without fault. Again, I'm assuming that one of the purposes of this thread was to help women to avoid rape. Ending the story at 'there's no excuse for it' doesn't help anyone to move forward.

I would like to jump in here, just in case Rusha brings up the "women deserve rape" issue in her rebuttal. I am the ONLY one I have seen on here to say there are some women who do deserve to be raped.....if they were indeed raped because of their "slutty behavior". I say it because I firmly believe we all get what we deserve (whatever it is that God allows to come upon us -rape included). I've also said rape can be a light punishment when compared to torture and death....which can also come from bad behavior. That in no way comes remotely close to saying all rape victims are guilty of bad behavior or that their behavior led to their being raped.

I see no reason to exclude rape as a natural consequence of our bad behavior. And that seems to be what everyone is doing. When we do something wrong....we deserve whatever we get. We do not deserve mercy even though it is often given.

I say this so you know before the false accusations begin.

I certainly will stand by what I know to be true. For man to claim we do NOT deserve punishment for our bad behavior is wrong. And it is not our choice about what that punishment might be. We should thank the Lord when we do not have to pay the ultimate price for our wrong doing....death in this life to say nothing of the next which is another issue altogether.

Ezra 9:13
And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this;​

Status
Not open for further replies.