No Longer A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

"The Catholic church is full of paganism. I detest paganism. Most Protestant churches are infected with false doctrine. I detest false doctrine. I am not your typical, run of the mill, 'Christian', granite. I am in Christ, not in 'Christianity.'"

So you've miraculously managed to get right what so many others get wrong. How very humble of you.
No. Only God has it right. That is why I submit to Him, and not to the doctrines of men.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Dave Miller

"Show me in the Bible where tolerance is preached. "

John 8

1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
7But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
11"No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."
:rolleyes:
He called her to repentance. He was not tolerating her wickedness. He knew He was going to die for it. And now that He has, there is no tolerance left for it. He desired that we do not judge hypocritically, or unaccording to the law of God. Those who brought the woman to Him, were under the Mosaic law and they were breaking it in may ways:
1] Bringing her to Him. He was not in a position to make the judgment, for He was not priest, by their tradition. Nor was He king, in that way.
2] They didn't bring the man.
Do you get the picture, Dave? They were transgressing the law. And Christ did not tolerate that. You sound like brotherWilli. Do you remember the story about the temple? Would you call Jesus' reaction tolerant?

wickwoman

Dear Lighthouse:

Before Jesus died, supposedly we were under law, and so was the woman, however, Jesus said he did not condemn her. How could that be since he hadn't yet died for her sins?

On Fire

Originally posted by wickwoman

Dear Lighthouse:

Before Jesus died, supposedly we were under law, and so was the woman, however, Jesus said he did not condemn her. How could that be since he hadn't yet died for her sins?

He was aware of God's plan. Jesus is salvation.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

No. Only God has it right. That is why I submit to Him, and not to the doctrines of men.

Lighthouse, the point I've made that you refuse to accept is that no matter what you do, being a Christian is a submission to man-made doctrine.

The Bible didn't just show up. Men made it. The concept of the trinity is not unique to Christianity; pagans had it long before Christianity came along. Jesus as messiah and the son of God was a concept that took centuries to develop.

On Fire

Lighthouse, the point I've made that you refuse to accept is that no matter what you do, being a Christian is a submission to man-made doctrine.

The Bible didn't just show up. Men made it. The concept of the trinity is not unique to Christianity; pagans had it long before Christianity came along. Jesus as messiah and the son of God was a concept that took centuries to develop.

Personal. Relationship. With. Jesus.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by On Fire

That's ridiculous.

No, that's the truth. The church battled for centuries on who or what Jesus really was. We're relying on the church for our definition (orthodox definition, anyhow) of Jesus.

On Fire

No, that's the truth. The church battled for centuries on who or what Jesus really was. We're relying on the church for our definition (orthodox definition, anyhow) of Jesus.

My relationship is not with a book or a scroll or someone's definition. Get a grip, man, you're starting to tell people what they have or have not experienced.

Maybe that's where you went wrong. You tried to love the book and not the man.

Granite

Hall of Fame

My relationship is not with a book or a scroll or someone's definition. Get a grip, man, you're starting to tell people what they have or have not experienced.

Maybe that's where you went wrong. You tried to love the book and not the man.

The man depends on the book. You can't have one without the other.

Ecumenicist

Originally posted by lighthouse

:rolleyes:
He called her to repentance. He was not tolerating her wickedness. He knew He was going to die for it. And now that He has, there is no tolerance left for it. He desired that we do not judge hypocritically, or unaccording to the law of God. Those who brought the woman to Him, were under the Mosaic law and they were breaking it in may ways:
1] Bringing her to Him. He was not in a position to make the judgment, for He was not priest, by their tradition. Nor was He king, in that way.
2] They didn't bring the man.
Do you get the picture, Dave? They were transgressing the law. And Christ did not tolerate that. You sound like brotherWilli. Do you remember the story about the temple? Would you call Jesus' reaction tolerant?

Right, he didn't tolerate the hypocrisy of the supposed believers.

Christ is tolerant of sinners and non-believers.

Christ is intolerant of people who profess faith but defile the
name of God through hypocrisy, back stabbing, lieing,
holier than though judgement.

I don't blame Granite for leaving Christianity, I don't blame
Zakath, and neither does Christ. The image of Christ that is
projected here is hateful and cruel. There's no golden rule
here, there's no loving neighbor, there's no tolerance for
misguided sinners, as was the woman in question. The
treatment of scripture and individuals here is abomination in
the eyes of the Lord. If God punishes and banishes anyone
to eternal torment, its those who harm, hurt, misuse his
beloved children in His Holy Name.

djm

On Fire

The man depends on the book. You can't have one without the other.

You really don't get it, do you? Or maybe you're playing dumb, as :zakath: often does.

I could have a relationship with Jesus without the book. In fact, I often do.

Ecumenicist

You really don't get it, do you? Or maybe you're playing dumb, as :zakath: often does.

No one who abuses others is in any kind of
relationship with Christ. The false Jesus you are in relationship
with goes by the name Satan.

Granite

Hall of Fame

On Fire, what you know about Jesus, and believe about Jesus, comes from the book. Without it there is nothing to Christianity.

On Fire

On Fire, what you know about Jesus, and believe about Jesus, comes from the book. Without it there is nothing to Christianity.

Is there an echo in here? Without the book there is only Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.