No Longer A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sozo

Originally posted by Zakath

granite1010,

It's been almost 300 posts by now, have they managed to "convert" you yet?

:)
Hey Zakath!

You have 10769 posts (not counting all of those that have been deleted), who have you perverted :doh: I mean converted?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by lighthouse

I have the context perfectly staright. The part about being children of Satan was in reference to their lies. And the brood of vipes comment was about them being evil. Just because they called themselves Jews, that does not seperate them from all of the other evil, wicked people.
They were Jews and followers of his religion. The context issue still stands unaddressed. He was not speaking to non-Jewish infidels...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Sozo

Hey Zakath!

You have 10769 posts (not counting all of those that have been deleted), who have you perverted :doh: I mean converted?
You see, as an atheist there's no celestial (or terrestrial) brownie points to be gained by successful "evangelism" so I don't keep count.

I've no way to tell, even were I interested in "conversions" or "deconversions"...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by ilyatur

That's just the way it is when words are used in communication. I've gotten the following material from Glenn Miller.
Thank you for actually providing a citation. :thumb:

(snipped non-germane citation)

Do you have any original thought on the matter? :think:

What kind of information would you like? Some URLs to refutations of biblical inerrancy?

It might be faster if you just used "Google" and looked it up yourself. :geek:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by ilyatur

It's a question of whether the statements are true or not.
But the author you cited claims that language is necessarily imprecise; with that as a basis of argument, "truth" would be elusive at best.

The name of the author does not affect this.
Well, it helps me understand your point of view. So it is useful for me to know such things.

You really are a poster child for the informal fallacies.
Which "informal fallacies" might those be? Do try to be specific. :chuckle:

Rolf Ernst

Granite--try reading "God in the Dock" by C.S. Lewis. it is a small book, but seems right for your present mindset, and it is a heavy duty mind wrestle. Hang in there , friend!!

Always remember that if we set our eyes on others, they will sooner or later disappoint us. That is one reason the apostle Paul said, "we preach not ourselves, but the Lord Jesus Christ."

The apostle spoke cautiously in that regard. Even Paul the apostle would not say "follow me," but said instead, "follow me AS I FOLLOW CHRIST." And John said, "if we say that we have no sin, the truth is not in us."

So when this weary world gets the best of you, reflect on Christ and the ways He is so much better than WE are.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sozo

Hey granite...

Your smiley :granite: is a perfect characterization!

"Jesus? Not me!" (...exists stage left)

:(

You're just now discovering the smiley? Cry Baby--you know, that foaming at the mouth anti-semite--bought that for me. :D

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Granite--try reading "God in the Dock" by C.S. Lewis. it is a small book, but seems right for your present mindset, and it is a heavy duty mind wrestle. Hang in there , friend!!

Always remember that if we set our eyes on others, they will sooner or later disappoint us. That is one reason the apostle Paul said, "we preach not ourselves, but the Lord Jesus Christ."

The apostle spoke cautiously in that regard. Even Paul the apostle would not say "follow me," but said instead, "follow me AS I FOLLOW CHRIST." And John said, "if we say that we have no sin, the truth is not in us."

So when this weary world gets the best of you, reflect on Christ and the ways He is so much better than WE are.

I OWN "God in the Dock" (and much of Lewis' work, including some out of print collections you can't get state-side).

I was actually thinking of revisiting the Space Trilogy, which I have not read in quite a while...

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

They were Jews and followers of his religion. The context issue still stands unaddressed. He was not speaking to non-Jewish infidels...
In case you hadn't noticed, clown, I was refuting what someone else had said, because they implied that Jesus never insulted anyone. So the who of whom He was speaking to is irrelevant.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by lighthouse

In case you hadn't noticed, clown, I was refuting what someone else had said, because they implied that Jesus never insulted anyone. So the who of whom He was speaking to is irrelevant.
OK. If you say so... :rolleyes:

Granite

Hall of Fame

I think the space trilogy was actually some of Lewis's best work.

Absolutely. For some strange reason I still like "The Great Divorce," too...

Goose

I find it interesting that people are recommending the wrong kind of books, advice, etc. to Granite. Am I the only theist that sees Granite as making a good step on a path of truth? It seems Granite just left Babylon behind and I wish him well on his journey.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Goose

I find it interesting that people are recommending the wrong kind of books, advice, etc. to Granite. Am I the only theist that sees Granite as making a good step on a path of truth? It seems Granite just left Babylon behind and I wish him well on his journey.

Everybody has their own take on things, Goose. It's all good. Not to say I'm going to do, try, or dabble in everything that's been suggested, but I appreciate people bouncing things off me.

wickwoman

granite1010,

It's been almost 300 posts by now, have they managed to "convert" you yet?

:)

What about you Zakath. I see your "conversion" thread is quite a long running one. How long has it been going on now? Do you feel yourself weakening just a little? ;)

wickwoman

I think it's a human problem, not a denominational one...

I agree. I wasn't trying to blame the Catholics. Only to point out that a very large number of men (i.e. priests) who are forbidden normal sexual relations seem to lean towards perversion. Then you have the Jimmy Swaggarts of the world. I'm sure if fundamentlist ministers were forbidden to marry, they'd probably be worse. I mean, its one of the few things left they CAN do.

I just saw a program on 20/20 where they had adults posing as minors in chat rooms engage in sexualy explicit talk with adult males and then lure them to a meeting place. They rented a house in the burbs and had over 18 men (in only two days) come there expecting to have sex with a 13, 14, or 15 year old girl. There's got to be some explanation for that.

wickwoman

Originally posted by jeremiah
That is why I confess my sins to God, try to make amends to those I have hurt, and am constantly aware that without Yeshua's loving sacrifice, I would be judged and lost. My slate is clean, and my debt is gone only because Someone else washed it and paid it for me. That is the only moral superiority a true Christian can claim. Not their own righteosness, but Someone else's.

Righteousness and forgiveness can only be found within one's self, not provided by an outside source.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by wickwoman

Righteousness and forgiveness can only be found within one's self, not provided by an outside source.

jeremiah----- Then you , yourself, truly are "self righteous", and fully believe in it.

See what I mean, PureX. Wickwoman, has just made an absolute statement. The result of this statement is that anyone who is seeking righteousness in Christ can not, "potentially" be as righteous as she, with her beliefs, or any self dependent atheist. She may not be saying that she has acheived greater self righteousness than most Christians, but she is saying it is the only true means to it. Therefore Atheists and agnostics are at least potentially more righteous than Christians. I doubt if there is anyone of that persuasion, on TOL, that I know of, that would disagree very much, with that conclusion, from her statement?
They are certainly free to do so, if they care to.
The Christian message is that one works out ther own personal righteousness "in" Christ, and also has an imputed righteuosness in regards to salvation "from" Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.