NFL 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...y-was-right-to-not-share-texts-134448265.html

This certainly puts Brady's reticence in a less-than-sinister light.
The writer publishes Goodall's remarks but his stance is skewed. From the article:

Goodell: "Well, I think we were very clear in the letter, in Troy’s letter, that noncooperation was a factor in the discipline, absolutely. You point out in Director Muller’s investigation there was full cooperation, he had access to every text, every email, every bit of communication that I had and that everyone in our office had and there were no restrictions on that whatsoever. So, we do expect to have that in investigations. That’s an important part of it and when there isn’t full cooperation, that is certainly part of the discipline."​

So the commissioner is arguing that the same level of access the league granted, related to the issue under scrutiny, should be expected from players. And absent a pleading the 5th sort of scenario, he's absolutely right.

The writer asks why the NFL thinks this is okay. Instead he should be asking himself why it isn't. This isn't a court of law or a criminal prosecution. This is a contractually negotiated position relating to job performance and standards.

The bias of the writer of this article is hard to miss. He calls Roger disingenuous in the remarks because the Muller investigation called for league issued devices to be turned over and not personal ones. Well, we don't know that personal devices weren't turned over, but then Brady wasn't at any point asked for his personal device to be turned over to anyone other than his lawyer, who was given an almost naive latitude to decide, without someone else checking, what would be turned over for consideration.

The writer likens that to a mandate that Brady jump through hoops. And he says the NFL is playing FBI and drunk on its own power...because it said to Brady's lawyer, "Look over his emails and texts and give us what directly relates to the issue...and we'll take your word that you've done that."

Yeah, that's pretty Draconian stuff. :rolleyes:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Former Ohio State qb Terrelle Pryor is currently on the Cleveland Browns roster.

Pryor was banned from Ohio State's campus for 5 years, which is still in effect.

However, the Browns play a scrimmage at Ohio State on August 7th.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith had to come up with a plan:

"It is our understanding that there is no issue [with Pryor taking part with the Browns], but we are clarifying, the intent (of the ban) we believe was [to keep him from] working out [in OSU facilities], not performing through a rental arrangement with an NFL team." - Gene Smith

Only the Cleveland Browns could have a guy on their roster who is banned from the largest football stadium in their own state.

:rotfl:

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Former Ohio State qb Terrelle Pryor is currently on the Cleveland Browns roster.

He is not a good NFL qb. In fact, he is bad. But he is still an awesome athlete. I pictured his signing to be with the Steelers, not Cleveland. They seem too stupid to move a great athlete (like Hines Ward) to receiver.

Pryor

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Don't know about that but our local channels just reported a confirmation of his death via his ex wife, Rose and his daughters.

Unfortunately, it looks like the story is true.

The Snake brings back a lot of memories. The Steelers and Raiders met in the playoffs 5 years in a row from 72 - 76, and it was one the best rivalries ever.

Stabler was one of the best clutch QB's I remember watching back then.

I was too young to remember the 1966 season he led Alabama to a perfect 11-0 season, but from what I hear, the Tide got robbed on the final rankings.

I also see that Stabler was a freshman when Namath was a senior in 1964. Can you imagine partying with those two?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
He is not a good NFL qb. In fact, he is bad. But he is still an awesome athlete. I pictured his signing to be with the Steelers, not Cleveland. They seem too stupid to move a great athlete (like Hines Ward) to receiver.

Pryor

Cincinnati previously cut him. They wanted him to be a receiver, he said no, so they cut him.

However, I read that he has agreed with Cleveland to play receiver.

Hines Ward was really smart. It worked out great for him, he ended up with 1,000 receptions.

When Kordell Stewart was "Slash", he was the best receiver on the team. If he would have swallowed his pride and concentrated on playing receiver, he could have been a really good receiver like Ward.

The Steelers did the same thing with Antwaan Randell El, he had a much longer NFL career, and made a lot more money than if he would have insisted on being a QB.

Pryor's ego is really really big. I remember when he was here in high school, he had a LeBronesq type circus in his high school gym to announce he would attend Ohio St.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, it looks like the story is true.

The Snake brings back a lot of memories. The Steelers and Raiders met in the playoffs 5 years in a row from 72 - 76, and it was one the best rivalries ever.

Stabler was one of the best clutch QB's I remember watching back then.

I was too young to remember the 1966 season he led Alabama to a perfect 11-0 season, but from what I hear, the Tide got robbed on the final rankings.

I also see that Stabler was a freshman when Namath was a senior in 1964. Can you imagine partying with those two?
He was the oldest sixty nine I've ever seen. But we haven't had a qb to measure up to either of those two since. I'd like to see A.J. advance from a pass with a lead, overthrow from behind qb to someone we could point to at the next level.

Stabler should have been a HOF lock. But he was always his own worst enemy.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Stabler should have been a HOF lock. But he was always his own worst enemy.

Only QB's to reach 100 wins in their first 150 games or less

1) Tom Brady (131)
2) Joe Montana (139)
3) Terry Bradshaw (147)
4) Ben Roethlisberger (150)
5) Ken Stabler (150)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Huh...a statistical football fact I didn't know...:noid:

Your boy came close.

It took Peyton 154 games to get his 100th win. He's eighth on the list.

Favre and Unitas did it in 153 games, they're tied for sixth

Stabler was the first QB to get 100 wins in 150 starts.

Sometimes when people are dead, the HOF voters have a change of heart. We shall see.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I know it's NFL dead time but I thought I'd share this bit:

Spoiler

Romo_Choking_Hazard.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
[/spoiler]
If you're lucky it also covers psychiatric work ups. :eek:

The regular season starts September 10th (just 43 days away)

On that date, Peyton Manning will be 39, and Tom Brady will be 38.

As a Steeler's fan, I can't wait till they're both retired.

Not too many QB's have played past 40 years old.

Favre retired at 41 years old. However, there have been seven QB's who retired older than Favre:

1) George Blanda 48
2) Steve DeBerg 44
3) Warren Moon 44
4) Vinny Testaverde 44
5) Doug Flutie 43
6) Earl Morrall 42
7) Mark Brunell 41

Will Peyton Manning and/or Tom Brady join the list?

I don't think Peyton has a chance to make the list because of his health. Brady's a lot healthier than Manning, he might make the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.