NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Ah, well there you go then. I suppose it's an extension of the old, my team, my state, my conference approach that tends to begin with pee-wee or little league teams rooting on their region, etc.

What I mean is, it helps if you were once picked for and actually played sports. :eek:

No one picked me because I would've been too good and spoiled their fun. :noid:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Speaking of fantasy football, today I heard about a cool game that SVP and Rusillo are doing. It's a QB Stock game.

They assigned dollar amounts to 4 tiers and placed all the QBs in a tier. They then had $1000 (fake money, of course. :eek:) to buy stock in whoever they wanted with only 1 rule: they had to buy at least 1 QB from each tier.

They will then re-evaluate the QBs after each Qtr of the football season to see if they've gone up or down. I didn't hear the formula they have for grading the QBs but I think it incorporated wins, QBR, and perhaps something else.

I think something like that would be more fun than standard fantasy.

Another fun pool I used to do is where you'd have $35 to buy teams. Team costs were based on how they finished the previous year. You then got points for each win your teams got. Very fun. I almost won the one year but got passed in the end. I was out close to $1000. :mmph: The other years I started well and fell quickly later on. I of course always picked the Chiefs who didn't do much for me. :eek:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Sports Illustrated makes a case for why the Hawks can repeat.
I appreciate it, but I only read in house arguments. It's a time thing. Speaking of, lost to free agency: CB Brandon Browner, DE Red Bryant, DE Chris Clemons, OT Breno Giacomini, S Chris Maragos, DT Clinton McDonald, WR Sidney Rice, WR Golden Tate, CB Walter Thurmond

That's a lot of talent to lose/ground to give up. It helps that SF's onion skin thin secondary took a hit. A lot of their success will depend on the play of Wilson, who disappeared late in the season by the time opponents had the makings of a book on him. The Hawks relied relied on a great running game and over the top defensive play. That defense will be thinner and likely less effective this year.

Don't get me wrong. So far they look like the favorite to return to the ultimate bowl game, but you only have to look back at that 85 Bears team to realize how a little attrition and fewer breaks can reduce an apparent dynasty to a single season juggernaut in short order.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Sports Illustrated makes a case for why the Hawks can repeat.

Sports Illustrated got it right last year when it picked Seattle to win the Super Bowl.

But let's look at the previous Sports Illustrated Super Bowl Champion predictions:

2012 - Green Bay (Actual winner - Baltimore)

2011 - New Orleans (Actual winner - NY Giants)

2010 - Baltimore (Actual winner - Green Bay)

2009 - New England (Actual winner - New Orleans)

2008 - New England (Actual winner - Pittsburgh)

2007 - Indianapolis (Actual winner - NY Giants)

2006 - Miami (Actual winner - Indianapolis)

2005 - Dallas (Actual winner - Pittsburgh)

So....the odds of Sports Illustrated making the right predictions two years in a row is pretty slim.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Seahawks will not repeat. Guaranteed. And they won't make it to the big game, anyway--I'm thinking they get bounced in the divisional round.

My gut tells me the NFC title game will be an epic shootout between Green Bay and New Orleans.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Browns' WR Josh Gordon issued what may well go down as the most inappropriately amusing statement ever given by a suspended NFL player. In the wake of the NFL upholding his year long suspension for testing positive for drug use a third time, he released a statement which in part read:

"I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case."

Gordon claimed his third positive test was due to inhaling second hand smoke. :rolleyes:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The Seahawks will not repeat. Guaranteed. And they won't make it to the big game, anyway--I'm thinking they get bounced in the divisional round.

My gut tells me the NFC title game will be an epic shootout between Green Bay and New Orleans.
Could be. I have a feeling that the road to the NFC might run through New Orleans this time around. Imagine that offense with a solid defense to help it. Looks like that's on its way.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tom Brady is upset with the Pats for dealing his best offensive lineman, Logan Mankins. Pro bowler Mankins had reportedly repeatedly refused to take a two million dollar pay reduction and Mankins had a poor year last year, allowing ten sacks from his position.

Of course, no one in that organization appears to care about that and haven't in a while. Tom has passed the tipping point of personal power. He's too good at his position not to pay and keep, but he's too close to the day when he's Bledsoed to have any real power now. Favre hit that particular and it ultimately led him out the door and elsewhere.

Some talking heads on ESPN are shaking them at the move, but suggesting, as Skip Bayless did, that we should have confidence that Bill and company know what they're doing. But do they? Maybe retaining a few of the players they let go for cheaper pastures might have seen New England back in the actual big game in the years since they stopped being a prohibitive AFC favorite.

Or is what the front office primarily doing attempting to win within a cost/benefit analysis that gives them what they want out of it financially? Are we seeing a sort of moneyball, quietly being played out and with a general level of success that is hard to argue with in terms of w/l and revenue/value production. The Pats continue to grow toward the top spot in individual team value, outpacing the self professed America's team, the Dallas Cowboys.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I was surprised by the Mankins trade but really shouldn't have been. The Pats are not sentimental, to put it mildly. Maybe they're more desperate for depth at tight end than I thought.

What this really does is make me wonder if Tom'll even have a chance to retire as a Patriot on his own terms--what I've assumed his plan is, anyway. Sure doesn't seem likely at this rate.

It is frustrating, though, to see the franchise act so consistently cheap and so consistently ruthless. Makes it hard to root for them, some days.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Huh? When did New England stop being an AFC favorite?

New England has been to the last 3 AFC Championship Games.

Barring a catastrophe or very big surprise I think they'll be back there again.

With that kind of run I really do understand why so many people hate us.:chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Huh? When did New England stop being an AFC favorite?
You left off "prohibitive". They're in the conversation and should be, with that coach, that qb and that weak conference. But I don't think the majority of talking heads have had them the prohibitive favorite to represent the AFC in the last few years.

New England has been to the last 3 AFC Championship Games.
And not at all in the 3 years before that.

But with their conference I'd expect them to be favored to make it to that game. It's been easier for them to win and keep home field and a road going through cold New England has meant a real advantage.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
With that kind of run I really do understand why so many people hate us.:chuckle:

I still think the hate has more to do with Belichick than the run.

The Patriots have had an incredible run since 2001, and it's not over yet. Had they won those two Super Bowls against the Giants, and had that 19-0 season, they definitely would have been the greatest dynasty ever.

However, the current run is probably not as good as the 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, and 80's 49'ers.

BUT, as I said, it's not over yet, and another Super Bowl win for the Pats could put then on equal ground with the above dynasties.

As it stands now, I would put the Patriots current run on par with the 90's Cowboys.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As The Berean has shown you, the NFL did not start in the 60's.

Granite

Hall of Fame

The Patriots have had an incredible run since 2001, and it's not over yet. Had they won those two Super Bowls against the Giants, and had that 19-0 season, they definitely would have been the greatest dynasty ever.

However, the current run is probably not as good as the 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, and 80's 49'ers.

BUT, as I said, it's not over yet, and another Super Bowl win for the Pats could put then on equal ground with the above dynasties.

As it stands now, I would put the Patriots current run on par with the 90's Cowboys.

I think winning consistently is enough. I remember detesting the Cowboys simply because they were either always in the playoffs or always on during prime time. Enough already! Fan fatigue.

They're two plays and an epic brain fart of a defensive effort from six rings, far as I can see. Luck, man. So much of the game boils down to some dumb luck.

I like their chances for AFC domination this year. I do. But come time for the big one, I think it's either the Saints or Packers waiting. Whatever AFC squad heads to Arizona, I do not envy them.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As The Berean has shown you, the NFL did not start in the 60's.

The NFL wasn't very popular before the merger.

Before 1967 all you had to do was win one postseason game to be the NFL Champion.

Before 1933 their weren't even any postseason games. At the end of the season the team in first place was the NFL Champion.

The Green Bay Packers had 3 NFL Championships before they ever played a postseason game.

Now that I think of it, Peyton Manning would probably hold the record for most championships won by a qb had he played prior to 1933 :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

No, but it would have put them in the conversation with the Niners and Steelers...and if Peyton had won every SB he appeared in he'd be arguably the best to ever play the game.

But they didn't. And what the Pats managed, while impressive, is to squeak out three big games and lose when they fielded what was arguably their best team. What have they won without Adam's leg?

No, but it's still a pretty darn good one.

I don't see how. Montana didn't lose. Bradshaw didn't lose. Those are unblemished runs. That will always separate them.

:think: That Cowboys team would have killed the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.