NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
If "unblemished" is what we're looking for Tom and Peyton truly are equals: They both know what it feels like to lose two.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If "unblemished" is what we're looking for Tom and Peyton truly are equals: They both know what it feels like to lose two.
No question about it. Neither of them can stand next to Joe Montana. He's still the gold standard for playing clutch in the biggest game, though I think either could have taken that Niners team to those SBs and won them. Past a point of greatness it's really more about style and what sort of team you want run. Brady's strengths are different from Peyton's, but if you have either you've got a solid chance to win a game.

Granite

Hall of Fame
No question about it. Neither of them can stand next to Joe Montana. He's still the gold standard for playing clutch in the biggest game, though I think either could have taken that Niners team to those SBs and won them. Past a point of greatness it's really more about style and what sort of team you want run. Brady's strengths are different from Peyton's, but if you have either you've got a solid chance to win a game.

Quite different, yes, but that's the beauty of the debate: What's often lost in the discussion is that we're talking about two guys who are equally great for very different reasons. (There, see? Ended it. No chance we're still hashing this out twenty, thirty years from now.)

As for Joe...

Yes. Without a doubt, the Ali of the game. Nobody comes close. There's some other guys who get the silver, or honorable mention, but he's it. The greatest.

P.S. But those Skechers commercials are still damn doofy.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
:think: That Cowboys team would have killed the Pats.

I don't know about that.

That Cowboys team barely beat a Neil O'Donnell led Steelers team. Had O'Donnell not thrown two really bad interceptions, the Cowboys don't win that Super Bowl.

Tom Brady and Neil O'Donnell are in different universes when it comes to comparing the two.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Quick question:

Has it ever come to light who else in the league was even considering drafting Brady, or was he so low on everyone's radar he simply didn't register?

I ask because I've never once heard any team, GM, or coach bemoan considering taking him and then missing. Leads me to believe nobody really knew what he was--including New England--but it sure would be interesting if someone out there had put a question mark next to his name before New England stumbled onto him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't know about that.
No question in my mind. Dallas had one of the best O lines ever, Irvin and Harper at WR, a terrific instinct runner in Smith led into holes by that line and a terrific FB and Jay Novacek giving him still another option. Only the Niners with Rice and Montana had that much offensive talent on hand at one time.

Defensively the Cowboys were stout. :)

That Cowboys team barely beat a Neil O'Donnell led Steelers team.
Anyone can have an off game. Brady's Pats should have lost one of those approaches to the Chargers, of all teams. He was bailed out by the defense. But look at the talent, the HOF cred, the SB margin of victory, etc.

The Pats played terrific team ball with mostly solid but not HOF caliber players. Take Adam or Tom out of the picture and that's the end of it. Stay close, move the ball and set up Vinatieri for the win.

Had O'Donnell not thrown two really bad interceptions, the Cowboys don't win that Super Bowl.
Defense is part of the game.

A couple of additional points. First you're talking the end of the run Dallas team, one having lost pieces and without Jimmy Johnson at the helm. Tells you how good they were, how well he'd put them together. If Jimmy is still coaching I doubt it's as close as it was, but let's not pretend this was a nail biter either. Dallas was up 13 to 7 at the half, 20 to 7 at the end of the third quarter.

Tom Brady and Neil O'Donnell are in different universes when it comes to comparing the two.
Who's comparing them?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Quick question:

Has it ever come to light who else in the league was even considering drafting Brady, or was he so low on everyone's radar he simply didn't register?

I ask because I've never once heard any team, GM, or coach bemoan considering taking him and then missing. Leads me to believe nobody really knew what he was--including New England--but it sure would be interesting if someone out there had put a question mark next to his name before New England stumbled onto him.
I remember when he was drafted thinking, "Okay, that's a great back up with up side potential." And I think that was the consensus on him.

No one thought that class was a strong one at the position. I think only Chad Pennington was drafted in the first round. And Brady had split time under center at Michigan with Henson, not exactly a glowing vote of confidence from his own coach. Couple that with averageish size and decent but unremarkable arm strength and, really, you can't fault teams for passing on him.

It wasn't a costly reach by the Pats and they had Bledsoe...just a Warner like happy accident to my mind.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quick question:

First off, the Patriots themselves drafted 6 guys before they picked Brady, so I don't think the Patriots were expecting much.

I remember hearing that the 49'ers used to have a combine for local kids, and that Brady did participate in it, but the 49'ers didn't see anything in him.

Nor do I think any of the Michigan coaches were doing much to persuade an NFL team to pick him.

Had the 49'ers drafted Brady, Steve Mariucci would still be the coach, and the 49'ers, not the Steelers, would have the most Super Bowl wins.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I remember when he was drafted thinking, "Okay, that's a great back up with up side potential." And I think that was the consensus on him.

No one thought that class was a strong one at the position. I think only Chad Pennington was drafted in the first round. And Brady had split time under center at Michigan with Henson, not exactly a glowing vote of confidence from his own coach. Couple that with averageish size and decent but unremarkable arm strength and, really, you can't fault teams for passing on him.

It wasn't a costly reach by the Pats and they had Bledsoe...just a Warner like happy accident to my mind.

I remember hearing they'd even bothered drafting a QB. Keep in mind I think we had like two back ups already. Plus...we had Drew. I mean, if you like big moose-legged quarterbacks with an explosive, inaccurate rocket arm.:juggle:

Retrospect is a very funny thing sometimes.:chuckle:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No question about it. Neither of them can stand next to Joe Montana. He's still the gold standard for playing clutch in the biggest game,

How about that, we fully agree. You can forget about how good a team is, like Aikman who just didn't have to screw up in Dallas. Joe Montana was nearly flawless in the biggest games. Whereas Elway, save for his final game, stunk up the joint.

Phil Simms, after coming close to the bench during that season, played nearly perfect in the Superbowl against the Broncos.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Quick question:

Has it ever come to light who else in the league was even considering drafting Brady, or was he so low on everyone's radar he simply didn't register

I don't think Brady did not register, he was just low on the radar.

Granite

Hall of Fame
In a move surprising no one and that had been rumored for months, Mallett is off to Houston. Hopefully Bill O'Brien can do something with the guy. He's got a heck of an arm but his skill set really wasn't suited for the New England system. Never figured out why they drafted him.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
According to ESPN, Michael Sam is in Dallas getting a physical, and if he passes, Sam will be put on the practice squad.

Michael Sam going to Dallas is not only going to be a circus, it is going to be a comedians dream come true.

I can just imagine the Romo-Witten-Sam jokes, not to mention all the "Big D" jokes that will prevail.

Also, that loud cheer you hear is coming from the folks who work at ESPN.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Wes Welker banned 4 games for the use of amphetamines.

:think:

Last I checked, concussions and speed don't go together real good.

These are crazy times in the NFL. If you physically hit Molly you get a 2 game suspension, but if you take Molly, you get a 4 game suspension.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
BTW,

With Welker out 4 games due to suspension, and all his concussion problems, former Steeler's wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is looking real good right now.

That would be the same Emmanuel Sanders that New England tried to sign last year as a restricted free agent, but the Steelers matched the Patriot's offer. Now he's in Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.