NFL 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caledvwlch

I can't believe the league bought this. Did a pity factor for Detroit come into play here or did the NFL think a match up with Suh on the field would simply be more interesting, ratings wise?

Do you suppose they'd have caved if Rodgers had been injured enough to piss a playoff game? :think:

The NFL is dirty. I think you can just about assume that every decision made by the league is for nefarious purposes at this point.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I can't believe the league bought this. Did a pity factor for Detroit come into play here or did the NFL think a match up with Suh on the field would simply be more interesting, ratings wise?

:idunno: That wasn't the whole explanation (something else about him facing forward the whole time so how would he have known to step on Rodgers) so maybe the league bought that more. :chuckle:

But I tend to think that you're right and that they primarily didn't want Detroit to miss a big player for a playoff game. I doubt it would have been overturned for a regular season game.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

it was the stupid factor that came into play

how many times were they going to show suh stepping on roger's leg?
and
how many were going to wonder why you mess with a big game for something as minor as that?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
does this mean brady is better than peyton?
How would that be? Check the record of the one season without Peyton. A couple of wins. Brady goes down and they still win, what, ten or eleven games? A lot harder to win without him, but you have the right coach and it gets done.

Granite

Hall of Fame
How would that be? Check the record of the one season without Peyton. A couple of wins. Brady goes down and they still win, what, ten or eleven games? A lot harder to win without him, but you have the right coach and it gets done.

...or a team with better management and staff that simply built a better organization. I dunno. We're approaching six of one half a dozen of the other territory.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...or a team with better management and staff that simply built a better organization. I dunno. We're approaching six of one half a dozen of the other territory.
To me it's as simple as better nearly everything, except signal caller. And Brady's one of the best of his generation at that. Put all of that in a home environment, which is mostly where Peyton had to go to meet it and it's mostly remarkable that Indy managed to upend your guys at all. Great organization in New England and hats off to you.

This year? I think that the "Peyton's done" birds are as goofy as the "Brady is in decline" birds were early in the year and I think this match up could be one of the better ones, if both teams get to it.

Granite

Hall of Fame
To me it's as simple as better nearly everything, except signal caller. And Brady's one of the best of his generation at that. Put all of that in a home environment, which is mostly where Peyton had to go to meet it and it's mostly remarkable that Indy managed to upend your guys at all. Great organization in New England and hats off to you.

This year? I think that the "Peyton's done" birds are as goofy as the "Brady is in decline" birds were early in the year and I think this match up could be one of the better ones, if both teams get to it.

I'll never be sick of these two matching up but I really like our odds if Peyton has to come to town. The man's arm simply is not what it used to be. His acumen and knowledge are second to none, but he's limited now in ways he wasn't before. Put him in a Foxborough snowstorm and you'll be hearing "Cut that meat!" from the crowd by half time.

The Berean

Perhaps so. The Lions haven't won an NFL title since Dwight Eisenhower was in the White House. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'll never be sick of these two matching up but I really like our odds if Peyton has to come to town.
I'd give you the edge, but this team isn't like any you've seen with him at the helm. What that will mean...

The man's arm simply is not what it used to be.
I'm not as sure. I think that's the new note, but he's always been a timing passer and he's always thrown an ugly ball as often as not. I saw him throw an out earlier in the year on a rope, so unless something has happened structurally in the last few weeks I think it's much ado about little.

His acumen and knowledge are second to none, but he's limited now in ways he wasn't before.
I don't think there's any appreciable difference between this year and last except for the way the team is moving the ball more on the ground. It's mostly perception fueled by wondering when the wall will be there for him and the ridiculous standard of a career year being followed.

Here's what I do know:

2014/career average
Comp %: 66.2/66.5
Avg per comp: 7.9/7.7
TD: 39/33
Int: 15/15
Rating: 101.5/97.5

Peyton
2006/2014
Yds: 4,397/4,727
Avg: 7.9/7.9
Comp: 66.2/65
TD: 31/39
Int: 9/15
Rtng: 101.0/101.5

He isn't showing decline, except by the absurd standard of last year, without much of a running game. So he's thrown less but about as effectively, except for a couple of games which you'll find is almost always the case with anyone. In fact, he's quietly (because of Rogers, mostly) having the fifth best year of his career.

He's also had a better year than Tom (97.4).

As of today it's:

Romo 113.2
Rogers 112.2
Rothlis 103.3
Peyton 101.5
Brady 97.4

And the only reason he's behind Ben is that last crappy game.
Put him in a Foxborough snowstorm and you'll be hearing "Cut that meat!" from the crowd by half time.
He's beaten you there before, but I hope everyone involved is as confident as you are, especially Bill.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Heck if I know. I thought we were talking about BB.

we were talking about belichick
but
some here like tet and nick think the credit should go to brady
and
the real data shows that is not the case

belichick is only one game behind landry in playoff wins
so
it is just a matter of time
and
he will have the record

the team wins playoff games
and
not the quarterback

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
to be fair
we need to show some the the playoff records held by peyton

Most postseason losses by a quarterback: 12
Most first-round postseason losses by a quarterback: 8

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If the Steelers win, they play at Denver no matter what.

If the Ravens win, they play at New England no matter what.

It's not looking good for my Steelers with Le'Veon Bell definitely not playing tomorrow against the Ravens.

I'm guessing New England would rather play Indy or Cincy than Baltimore. Granite?

Granite

Hall of Fame
If the Steelers win, they play at Denver no matter what.

If the Ravens win, they play at New England no matter what.

It's not looking good for my Steelers with Le'Veon Bell definitely not playing tomorrow against the Ravens.

I'm guessing New England would rather play Indy or Cincy than Baltimore. Granite?

Agreed. Baltimore has always given Brady and company fits. The Ravens are one of very few teams that isn't fazed by the Pats and doesn't buy into their aura or mystique at all. If we host Baltimore I'll be queasy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
to be fair
we need to show some the the playoff records held by peyton

Most postseason losses by a quarterback: 12
Most first-round postseason losses by a quarterback: 8
Teams win or lose. QBs do their job or they don't. Peyton's numbers aren't just better in the regular season. They're better in the post.

Peyton suffered from mediocre coaching for most of his Indy stay, an overrated front office (both exposed the year he went down and jettisoned once he was gone) and enough talent to keep their draft picks low, the problem Marino gave the Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.