New Zealand gunmen kill 49 people at two mosques

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm surprised that you don't think that innocent people (e.g. innocent law enforcement officers) can use selective fire rifles and carbines for good and justifiable purpose.
Didn't say the weapons couldn't be used for a good and justifiable purpose. I can also use an Oscar to crack walnuts.

The line of reason for the exercise of the right should be cost/benefit. I see implements that can transform guns into instruments for killing a dozen people or more in moments and I say there's nothing to balance against that given any need meaningful need they meet can be met by a weapon I can think of that won't.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is an Island.

Three.

9546f548ecf70a04134cf78dcf7c1c4a.jpg

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
Sometimes it's necessary to suffer a little pain in order that the truth might be shared. :)

However, if you keep talking about it, I'm going to have to start teasing you. ;)
You try very hard to toe the line, and then you get pinched anyway, for not even breaking any rule? Yeah, that can tend to frost my rear end, and I might be a bit cranky about it, in public, for a while.

It's -ubar.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope.

I'll tell you when I'm wrong.
You wouldn't believe you.

You said nothing even close to that.
Sure I have. And you've obviously read me enough to know that. Or are you trying to parse your way into some peculiar sense of a point?

And this is also irrelevant. Some vehicles make it easier to kill more people.
We have to have cars. We make owning and operating them as safe as we can within the constraints of that necessity. We don't begin to do that with guns within my country and the outcome is both predictable and needless.

Your assertion is that more rules make certain actions more difficult to perform.
Or, directly on the point, stronger laws and some prohibitions will make mass murder on the scale we find in our churches, schoolyards, concerts, and other public venues appreciably harder to manage. We see the reality of that reflected in the comparative success of every other Western Industrial democracy where that understanding is realized.

We know that murderers won't turn to a spatula as a weapon of choice
Right. The existence and ease of access promotes violence where the guns I'm speaking to are found. That's why in nations where they aren't you don't see the difference in rates made up by some other means.

And yet, if you live in Plano, Texas. :idunno:
You said the murder rates were close. They aren't. You want the highest go to where the guns are. It's not about water seeking a level, it's about ease and access.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What's interesting is that New Hampshire has 'Constitutional Carry' and no restrictions on magazine capacity or anything like the restrictions from the old Federal Assault Weapon Ban in 1994-2004 here.

It's interesting because NH's murder rate is also 1 (like Sweden).

Which means that New Hampshire, in which you can freely tote assault weapons around in public, is safer than Germany, the U.K., France, Finland, and Canada.

So shouldn't we therefore, rationally, try to improve our safety, by implementing NH's gun laws across this whole country right now, post haste?
Apparently not. Supra.
You're confusing an outlier with the rule. It's like saying cities are gun violence crazy and only looking at Chicago.

Below I repost murder rates among a number of our Western cousins. If you look at states with lax gun laws and states with stronger gun laws you'll see the same relationship as a rule. States with weaker laws have much higher deaths per 100k than those with stronger laws.

Murders per 100k

Norway .51
Netherlands .55
Spain .63
Italy .67
Greece .75
Denmark .98
Sweden 1
Germany 1.1
U.K. 1.2
France 1.3
Finland 1.4
Canada 1.6
U.S. 5.3

Idolater

Didn't say the weapons couldn't be used for a good and justifiable purpose.
Right, you said that service rifles and carbines were "designed to no good or justifiable purpose." Which is interesting, because many of them were designed by innocent people, intended to be carried by innocent people, for good and justifiable purpose. So I don't understand what you're trying to say anymore.
I can also use an Oscar to crack walnuts.
I can drive my car over a murderer who's trying to kill an innocent person. I could chuck volumes of an encyclopedia set.
I could drop a piano on him.
The line of reason for the exercise of the right should be cost/benefit.
I just think that nobody has a right to commit a crime.
I see implements that can transform guns into instruments for killing a dozen people or more in moments and I say there's nothing to balance against that given any need meaningful need they meet can be met by a weapon I can think of that won't.
I'm pretty sure that sentence's not written correctly. Ordinarily I wouldn't ask you to clarify but it's just so long and there aren't any commas so I don't want to draw incorrect inference by accident.

Maybe the sentence is as you would like it also---I could be wrong!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Right, you said that service rifles and carbines were "designed to no good or justifiable purpose."
In the hands of civilians. It's an important qualification. The police and soldiers, given extensive training and evaluations, use them for their designed purpose when necessary.

Which is interesting, because many of them were designed by innocent people, intended to be carried by innocent people, for good and justifiable purpose. So I don't understand what you're trying to say anymore.
I don't care if Mother Teresa designed the flame thrower you're holding. The weapons and implements I'm speaking to are created with the capacity to kill a great many people in a very short period of time. Nothing they can accomplish otherwise is beyond the capacity of weapons I support, which cannot readily become the instruments of that degree of destruction.

Then there are other laws, relating to background checks, mandatory safety courses, etc.

I can drive my car over a murderer who's trying to kill an innocent person. I could chuck volumes of an encyclopedia set.
I could drop a piano on him.
None of those instruments were designed to kill people, let alone a great many people. So we come to the cost/benefit portion of the program and there's no help for the assault rifle proponents there at all.

I just think that nobody has a right to commit a crime.
I'm not sure even most criminals would dispute that.

I'm pretty sure that sentence's not written correctly. Ordinarily I wouldn't ask you to clarify but it's just so long and there aren't any commas so I don't want to draw incorrect inference by accident.

Maybe the sentence is as you would like it also---I could be wrong!
It had an extra "need" in it and could have used a comma after "that" at least. Probably better as two sentences, but I was balancing other obligations and rushed it.

This is a little better: I see implements that can transform guns into instruments for killing a dozen people or more in moments and I say there's nothing to balance against that, given any meaningful need they meet can be met by a weapon I can think of that won't (be easily used to kill a great many people in moments).

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Like you'd know.
Yes, I would.

Sure I have.
You have now. :plain:

You've obviously read me enough to know that.

I was responding to what I quoted you as saying.

Are you trying to parse your way into some peculiar sense of a point?

We have to have cars.

No, we don't. :idunno:

Owners and manufacturers should make operating guns as safe as they can within the constraints of the necessity of owning them.

We don't begin to do that within my country and the outcome is both predictable and needless.
And New Zealand had some of the world's strictest gun laws short of an outright ban. I'm not allowed to get a license there because I've expressed the opinion that guns are good for self defense. And the regulations have just been made even stricter.

Or, directly on the point, stronger laws and some prohibitions will make mass murder on the scale we find in our churches, schoolyards, concerts, and other public venues appreciably harder to manage. We see the reality of that reflected in the comparative success of every other Western Industrial democracy where that understanding is realized.
When you ban trucks...

In nations where they aren't you don't see the difference in rates made up by some other means.
That which you at without evidence, we are justified in ignoring without reason.

You said the murder rates were close. They aren't.
There's no significant difference. You picked a bunch of countries that are favourable to your agenda. If I want to live in safety, I could reasonably choose the US.

You want the highest go to where the guns are. It's not about water seeking a level, it's about ease and access.

:AMR:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I suppose one whose chamber explodes when fired, due to too thin metal used, could be said to be born bad. A gun that hurts its shooter more than its target is a bad gun.

i was thinking on similar lines - cheaply built, poorly designed saturday night specials

Idolater

You're confusing an outlier with the rule. It's like saying cities are gun violence crazy and only looking at Chicago.
I'm not confusing anything. False analogy, false parallel. In New Hampshire, gun control is much less than in say, California. You can even have 'silencers' in NH. But New Hampshire's got a much lower murder rate than California does.
Below I repost murder rates among a number of our Western cousins. If you look at states with lax gun laws and states with stronger gun laws you'll see the same relationship as a rule. States with weaker laws have much higher deaths per 100k than those with stronger laws.
You're guilty of what you've accused me of, writ large. What you're doing is cherry picking. The world round, regardless of every other factor, the data shows plain as day, that the civilian owned guns per capita correlate only loosely with murders, and the coefficient is negative, which means, the more guns, the less murders.
Murders per 100k I add civilian owned guns per 100k ppl in BOLD

Norway .51 30
Netherlands .55 4
Spain .63 10
Italy .67 12
Greece .75 20
Denmark .98 12
Sweden 1 30
Germany 1.1 30
U.K. 1.2 6
France 1.3 30
Finland 1.4 45
Canada 1.6 30
U.S. 5.3 120
Here are the nations in the world with murder rates at 10 and above (remember that your data has the US murder rate at about half, 5.3, and also remember civilian gun ownership is 120), and with civilian owned guns per 100K ppl in BOLD:

El Salvador 108.6 5.8
Honduras 63.8 6.2
Venezuela 57.2 10.7
Jamaica 43.2 8.1
Lesotho 38.0 2.7
Belize 34.4 10.0
South Africa 34.3 12.7
Guatemala 31.2 13.1
Trinidad and Tobago 30.9 1.6
Bahamas 29.8 5.3
Brazil 26.7 8.0
Colombia 26.5 5.9
Guyana 19.4 14.6
Dominican Republic 17.4 5.1
Namibia 16.9 12.6
Mexico 16.4 15.0
Democratic Republic of the Congo 13.4 1.4
Central African Republic 13.1 1.0
Bolivia 12.4 2.8
Ivory Coast 11.8 2.4
Uganda 11.8 1.4
Costa Rica 11.8 9.9
Nicaragua 11.5 7.7
Panama 11.4 21.7
Russia 11.3 8.9
Barbados 10.9 7.8
Republic of the Congo 10.9 2.7
Mali 10.8 1.1
Suriname 10.7 13.4
Botswana 10.5 4.9
Papua New Guinea 10.4 1.2
Mauritania 10.2 1.6
Haiti 10.0 0.6

Remember, the murder rate in the US is 5.3, and civilians gun ownership is 120.

By comparison little Haiti, there at the end, with civilian gun ownership about 1/200th the US, nonetheless has about double the murder rate.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I was responding to what I quoted you as saying.
Again, like narrowing to a sentence and losing context.

Are you trying to parse your way into some peculiar sense of a point?
The parrot thing is deceased. And you keep using the form without appearing to understand how it functioned.

Owners and manufacturers should make operating guns as safe as they can within the constraints of the necessity of owning them.
I'm for that too. But the NRA isn't.

And New Zealand had some of the world's strictest gun laws short of an outright ban. I'm not allowed to get a license there because I've expressed the opinion that guns are good for self defense. And the regulations have just been made even stricter.
New Zealand is changing their laws because they allow the ownership of the very weapons I'm objecting to. The ones that aren't allowed in most of the countries where the murder rate and rates of gun violence are both greatly lesser than they are in nations like mine.

When you ban trucks...
Raised and answered. You need trucks and they aren't designed to kill.

That which you at without evidence, we are justified in ignoring without reason.
Go search and find it if you want an informed opinion. It's as easy as what I did with murder rates. Compare firearm related deaths among those nations. You won't care for what you discover, if you don't already know. I've done that before and you were around for it. So I'm not interested in working so you can do what you're already trying with solid data on the murder rate bit you got completely wrong.

Speaking of which.
There's no significant difference.
That's absurd by any rational approach. Five times greater than most of the countries on that list. Three times and change between the U.S. and the second worst on the list.

You picked a bunch of countries that are favourable to your agenda.
No. I picked the countries that I knew off hand were Western Industrial Democracies. The ones that more closely compared to us.

Here are a few more (keeping in mind that our murder rate per 100k is around 5.3 per.

Poland .67
Iceland .3
Ireland .8
Scotland 1.1
Netherlands .5
Australia .9

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm not confusing anything. False analogy, false parallel.
Neither of those claims are true. You presented NH and suggested a rule. That's like saying it's raining today at your house so it must be raining, on average, everywhere else.

When you look at the states with the most gun deaths per 100k you're going to find most of them are also states with the weakest gun laws.

In New Hampshire, gun control is much less than in say, California. You can even have 'silencers' in NH. But New Hampshire's got a much lower murder rate than California does.
It's a great, small state with a lower population that doesn't reflect the diversity of the larger nation in most senses. It's an outlier.

You're guilty of what you've accused me of, writ large. What you're doing is cherry picking.
The opposite, actually. I've done this before, set out data on states relative to their gun laws. Noted that the same thing we seen in comparing likened nations (Western Industrial democracies) holds true for states, though the impact is lesser, in part because you have contiguous states that allow for purchasing things forbidden next door. That softens the effect, but it's still impressive.

The world round, regardless of every other factor, the data shows plain as day, that the civilian owned guns per capita correlate only loosely with murders, and the coefficient is negative, which means, the more guns, the less murders.
Gun ownership isn't the issue. The sorts of guns that can be owned and laws relating to their use is. Among our close cousins, countries that are most like us, the murder rates and rates of gun violence are impressively lower than they are here, where our laws and restrictions are comparatively lax. The closer you get to our set up the higher your death by firearm and murder rate climbs.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Again, like narrowing to a sentence and losing context.
Nope.

The stuff you're arguing was not in the post I quoted.

The idiots who reckon that Kiwis do not have the right to bear arms?

New Zealand is changing their laws because they allow the ownership of the very weapons I'm objecting to. The ones that aren't allowed in most of the countries where the murder rate and rates of gun violence are both greatly lesser than they are in nations like mine.
Like Honduras?

And Detroit?

Oh, right. You only like data points that fit your narrative.

Raised and answered.

Call.

Showdown.

Your agenda is to ban certain weapons because of specific incidents of violence. You use broad data or very limited data depending on your need to say that those weapons produce safer societies.

You don't have a consistent let alone coherent case.

We need guns and they are designed to kill. Had just one man in Christchurch ignored the regulations, dozens of people might have been saved. Had the Muslims been armed to the teeth, as is their God-given right, the pothead would never have considered carrying out this crime in New Zealand.

He would have gone somewhere else.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope.

The stuff you're arguing was not in the post I quoted.
Then you're parsing a longer conversation and I can't help you by going back over all of it. Maybe next time you'll start out early enough.

The idiots who reckon that Kiwis do not have the right to bear arms?
The right to bear arms needn't reasonably be the right to possess every.

Like Honduras?

And Detroit?

Oh, right. You only like data points that fit your narrative.
No, in fact I go larger, comparing states to states and nations to nations.

Your agenda is to ban certain weapons because of specific incidents of violence.
My agenda is to make gun ownership safer and to rid commerce of weapons that aren't necessary to preserve the right, but which facilitate wholesale slaughter with relative ease.

We need guns and they are designed to kill.
Agreed. But we don't need every sort within a civilian population.

Had just one man in Christchurch ignored the regulations, dozens of people might have been saved.
Had there been a ban on semi and automatic weapons there might

Okay gang, I'll have to come back to this tomorrow, as time permits and if there are any additional concerns or points to address. Off to the other digs for a bit and then, rest.

:cheers:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Had just one man in Christchurch ignored the regulations, dozens of people might have been saved. Had the Muslims been armed to the teeth, as is their God-given right, the pothead would never have considered carrying out this crime in New Zealand.

He would have gone somewhere else.

Hear, hear!

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then you're parsing a longer conversation.
Nope.

I quoted what you said and responded to it.

The right to bear arms needn't reasonably be the right to possess every.
Sorry, you're not the arbiter of what is and isn't a right.

My agenda is to make gun ownership safer and to rid commerce of weapons that aren't necessary to preserve the right, but which facilitate wholesale slaughter with relative ease.
We know.

It won't do any good.

This is despite the fact that removing such weapons would cut down on their use in such a manner.