Christ's Word

Actually not completely unprecedented.
We have in our history
a number of shameful
violations of citizen's rights.
Lincoln's political opponents
and the Americans with Japanese
blood during WWII come to mind.

:hammer: I stand corrected, you are right, there are many more than what you mentioned.

moparguy

There is a well-defined system for handling REAL police misconduct:

Internal disciplinary actions for minor violations (i.e. being rude),

The criminal justice system for violations of the law,

The federal courts for civil and constitutional violations.

... and this well defined system still cannot violate human nature.

The courts have to rely on the police to enforce their rulings.

The criminal justice system at large relies on the police for their very paycheck, directly or indirectly, and the federal courts are so removed from the consequences of their actions they feel safe doing whatever they please.

Do police never get punished for their bad behavior? Oh, they do. Most of the time, though, they only get properly punished when they've caused the department at large some serious PR or monetary problems.

Without the assurance of the punishment fitting the crime, and that punishment actually being enforced and in short order, people who do wrong ... feel safe doing wrong. Let's not even discuss how the process now IS the punishment for people in it.

journey

... and this well defined system still cannot violate human nature.

The courts have to rely on the police to enforce their rulings.

The criminal justice system at large relies on the police for their very paycheck, directly or indirectly, and the federal courts are so removed from the consequences of their actions they feel safe doing whatever they please.

Do police never get punished for their bad behavior? Oh, they do. Most of the time, though, they only get properly punished when they've caused the department at large some serious PR or monetary problems.

Without the assurance of the punishment fitting the crime, and that punishment actually being enforced and in short order, people who do wrong ... feel safe doing wrong. Let's not even discuss how the process now IS the punishment for people in it.

The system isn't perfect, but it does work extremely well in the vast majority of cases.

Christ's Word

The system isn't perfect, but it does work extremely well in the vast majority of cases.

Most policeman I know say the system is broken. Prosecutors not taking cases they should, demanding evidence be fabricated, exculpatory evidence being hid from the defense, coworkers bragging about their unconstitutional abuses to other policeman, officers being required to raise money and meet quotas rather than protect neighborhoods and do real police work. You are delusional about the system working well.

Christ's Word

And the hits just keep on coming......

http://www.infowars.com/agri-terrorism-feds-shut-down-seed-library-in-pennsylvania/

"It seems that while the U.S. government, via USAID, as well as huge corporations like DuPont and the Rockefeller Foundation, fund the creation of monolithic ‘doomsday’ seed vaults in the event of an environmental catastrophe, any attempt by ordinary Americans to become self-sufficient by obtaining their own heirloom seeds will be countered with the full legal force of the federal bureaucracy."

journey

Most policeman I know say the system is broken. Prosecutors not taking cases they should, demanding evidence be fabricated, exculpatory evidence being hid from the defense, coworkers bragging about their unconstitutional abuses to other policeman, officers being required to raise money and meet quotas rather than protect neighborhoods and do real police work. You are delusional about the system working well.

BALONEY. If the system is broken, it is broken in the favor of criminals.

Christ's Word

I don't think it was baloney that 17 FBI crime lab employees got convicted of fabricating evidence, although there are places like the southern border where what you say is certainly true. Your real problem is you have not yet opened your eyes to the criminals in Washington D.C., FBI, DHS, and the Federal Reserve, which the broken system truly favors.

Christ's Word

Another opinion:

"Second, there’s the profit-incentive for states to lock up large numbers of Americans in private prisons. Just as police departments have quotas for how many tickets are issued and arrests made per month—a number tied directly to revenue—states now have quotas to meet for how many Americans go to jail. Having outsourced their inmate population to private prisons run by corporations such as Corrections Corp of America and the GEO Group, ostensibly as a way to save money, increasing numbers of states have contracted to keep their prisons at 90% to 100% capacity. This profit-driven form of mass punishment has, in turn, given rise to a $70 billion private prison industry that relies on the complicity of state governments to keep the money flowing and their privately run prisons full. No wonder the United States has the largest prison population in the world.

According to professors Steve Fraser and Joshua B. Freeman, “All told, nearly a million prisoners are now making office furniture, working in call centers, fabricating body armor, taking hotel reservations, working in slaughterhouses, or manufacturing textiles, shoes, and clothing, while getting paid somewhere between 93 cents and $4.73 per day.” Tens of thousands of inmates in U.S. prisons are making all sorts of products, from processing agricultural products like milk and beef, to packaging Starbucks coffee, to shrink-wrapping software for companies like Microsoft, to sewing lingerie for Victoria’s Secret."

http://www.infowars.com/were-all-criminals-and-outlaws-in-the-eyes-of-the-american-police-state/

journey

It's time for a dose of reality. Law enforcement of any kind is not a money-making operation. The fines and fees imposed aren't even a start in covering the costs involved.

journey

I don't think it was baloney that 17 FBI crime lab employees got convicted of fabricating evidence, although there are places like the southern border where what you say is certainly true. Your real problem is you have not yet opened your eyes to the criminals in Washington D.C., FBI, DHS, and the Federal Reserve, which the broken system truly favors.

Get out your calculator and try to figure out how this effects the overall GOOD vs. bad percentage. Your answer will be multiple, multiple digits to the right of the decimal point. In other words, it would be a tiny fraction of 1 %.

Christian Liberty

I agree with you, but with that being said, why do you still support the police? (If you answered this already, I apologize, I did ask you before and never saw an answer.) Why should someone who knows the system is broken continue to provide it with manpower?

I don't see how anyone could be a cop without being in sin. Maybe in a different time, but now? I don't see it.

Christian Liberty

To paraphrase Eric Peters "Sexual battery and speeding... both class A misdemeanors in Virginia. They'll put you in jail for it... well... the speeding [20 MPH over or more than 80 MPH anywhere.] Sexual battery, they'll probably fine you, slap an ankle bracelet on you, and send you on your way."

There is a very real problem with under-punishment of aggressive actions. Aggressive people frequently get off with far less than what they deserve. But regular people who never harm anyone but break a statuatory law get crushed.

Its both. The fact that you are frustrated that murderers are ever getting out doesn't mean you should support locking up the pot user.

journey

To paraphrase Eric Peters "Sexual battery and speeding... both class A misdemeanors in Virginia. They'll put you in jail for it... well... the speeding [20 MPH over or more than 80 MPH anywhere.] Sexual battery, they'll probably fine you, slap an ankle bracelet on you, and send you on your way."

There is a very real problem with under-punishment of aggressive actions. Aggressive people frequently get off with far less than what they deserve. But regular people who never harm anyone but break a statuatory law get crushed.

Its both. The fact that you are frustrated that murderers are ever getting out doesn't mean you should support locking up the pot user.

IF that's true, lobby for stiffer penalties.

Christ's Word

I agree with you, but with that being said, why do you still support the police?

The police can fill a valid function in society. In P.D. where the leadership is skilled and moral, the bad employees are eventually weeded out. I am not opposed to laws that criminalize people who victimize other people or who commit acts of gross immorality or abominations. What I am opposed to, is a leviathan force that visits violence on the non violent, and arrogant rogue cops that use lethal force or any type of force that is not prudent and lawful. I oppose any policeman who's actions are unconstitutional and unlawful.

CL, there are many great policemen on the job, that care about the constitution enough that it matters to them and influences how they go about their job, and I can recognize them just as quickly as I can recognize the trigger happy arrogant cop that notches his gun stock every time he kills a civilian. The contrast is remarkable. Not all police conduct business in the same way, some departments are run much better than others.

Christian Liberty

The police can fill a valid function in society. In P.D. where the leadership is skilled and moral, the bad employees are eventually weeded out. I am not opposed to laws that criminalize people who victimize other people or who commit acts of gross immorality or abominations. What I am opposed to, is a leviathan force that visits violence on the non violent, and arrogant rogue cops that use lethal force or any type of force that is not prudent and lawful. I oppose any policeman who's actions are unconstitutional and unlawful.

CL, there are many great policemen on the job, that care about the constitution enough that it matters to them and influences how they go about their job, and I can recognize them just as quickly as I can recognize the trigger happy arrogant cop that notches his gun stock every time he kills a civilian. The contrast is remarkable. Not all police conduct business in the same way, some departments are run much better than others.

I am not opposed to laws against the violent either. The problem is that cops have quotas to fill and their job is to enforce the law. Not the US Constitution, but the statuatory law. I know there are well meaning cops, but if you really want to change things, I don't see how joining the enforcement class is helpful. I've said the same thing about the military. If they tell you to go, you either go or you go to prison, neither of which is a good thing as far as stopping the endless wars are concerned. And as a cop, you are required to enforce the law as written, even if you don't agree with it. For what its worth, I took a law enforcement class a few years ago, and that is essentially what the instructor told me as well.

The prevailing attitude these days is "change the law if you don't like it." People fail to explain how aggression is justified just because a politician wrote some scribbles on paper.

Also, I've never seen a so called "good cop" bring a bad one to justice. They all mostly look out for each other.

The system is broken. You can't fix it by joining it.

Christ's Word

I am not opposed to laws against the violent either. The problem is that cops have quotas to fill and their job is to enforce the law. Not the US Constitution, but the statuatory law. I know there are well meaning cops, but if you really want to change things, I don't see how joining the enforcement class is helpful. I've said the same thing about the military. If they tell you to go, you either go or you go to prison, neither of which is a good thing as far as stopping the endless wars are concerned. And as a cop, you are required to enforce the law as written, even if you don't agree with it. For what its worth, I took a law enforcement class a few years ago, and that is essentially what the instructor told me as well.

The prevailing attitude these days is "change the law if you don't like it." People fail to explain how aggression is justified just because a politician wrote some scribbles on paper.

Also, I've never seen a so called "good cop" bring a bad one to justice. They all mostly look out for each other.

The system is broken. You can't fix it by joining it.

Or you can take my husbands approach and give them better skills and education, so they don't have to violate the innocent or the constitution, to take care of the bad actors.

Christian Liberty

Or you can take my husbands approach and give them better skills and education, so they don't have to violate the innocent or the constitution, to take care of the bad actors.

How is your husband able to do that though? Its not like cops can just say "no, we don't want to do drug raids, enforce the gun control laws, or pull people over for speeding and seat belt violations."