Militarized Police

Christian Liberty

No doubt, but the proof texts you are aware of (as am I) should be enough for every Christian to obey the law of the land and pay their taxes.

There is no passage in the Bible that actually says to pay taxes. I'm not convinced that those passages are intended to command payment of taxes. And for what its worth, I'm not a tax resister, its not worth it and I'm not going to do it. I do, however, feel bad for those who do decide to do it and get their lives ruined by the Federal government for it. The people who carry out those arrests are bad people and should be shamed.

The Bible says to turn the other cheek, does this mean cheek-slapping is justified? Taxation, at its best, could be comparable.

Christian Liberty

Statists will never understand the violence they support. Anyone who doesn't realize that handcuffing someone, dragging them away from their friends and family, and locking them in a cage is violent is absolutely deluded.

Christian Liberty

I can't stand "law and order" types:rolleyes: , especially when they pretend to be small government conservatives.

First of all, even enforcing tax law is immoral. You have two proof texts that give you the idea that taxes should be paid. I could point out tons of proof texts that show you that tax collectors are sinful and evil.

Second of all, vigilante killing someone for a victimless crime (and yes, refusing to pay taxes is a victimless crime since the tax collector has no right to the money he is taking) is blatantly murderous.

Quincy

There is no passage in the Bible that actually says to pay taxes. I'm not convinced that those passages are intended to command payment of taxes. And for what its worth, I'm not a tax resister, its not worth it and I'm not going to do it. I do, however, feel bad for those who do decide to do it and get their lives ruined by the Federal government for it. The people who carry out those arrests are bad people and should be shamed.

The Bible says to turn the other cheek, does this mean cheek-slapping is justified? Taxation, at its best, could be comparable.

I think if you're on the grid, meaning you have a house with supplied utilities and that you use the nation's infrastructure, then you should pay taxes. You use those options so you should pay for their upkeep. The issue I have with paying taxes, to the federal government, is that the money doesn't go to where it supposed to. The whole disbursement of it is out of whack. Far too much goes to the military while other aspects suffer.

We have a ten month drop in the bucket for infrastructure budgeted here but I guess that is ok since we are doing such an amazing, literally perfect job and "liberating" and "rebuilding" other nations' along with their infrastructure. Yea, nothing has gone wrong with that plan.

Christian Liberty

I think if you're on the grid, meaning you have a house with supplied utilities and that you use the nation's infrastructure, then you should pay taxes. You use those options so you should pay for their upkeep. The issue I have with paying taxes, to the federal government, is that the money doesn't go to where it supposed to. The whole disbursement of it is out of whack. Far too much goes to the military while other aspects suffer.

We have a ten month drop in the bucket for infrastructure budgeted here but I guess that is ok since we are doing such an amazing, literally perfect job and "liberating" and "rebuilding" other nations' along with their infrastructure. Yea, nothing has gone wrong with that plan.
Well, you're using a secular argument while I was dealing with what the Bible says about the issue. I'm OK with doing both but I just want to make a clear distinction here. THe point I was arguing before is that the Bible doesn't necessarily command that taxes should be paid. That's not the point I'm going to argue here (since you aren't a Christian by your own admission and thus it wouldn't matter to you.)

I see a couple of problems with the "you should pay taxes because you use the services" logic. Three to be precise.

First of all, as you say, not all of the money goes to infrastructure. People are also charged for SS that they won't get if they are young, wasteful military spending, and so forth. So, I'd say at least half of government spending, if not more, doesn't even actually benefit the payer. If (say) 10% taxation pays for all the things we actually use and the rest is just waste and useless programs, why is there a moral obligation to pay the whole thing? "Because its the law" isn't going to do it for me.

More importantly, tax-provided services are paid for by theft and maintained by legally enforced monopolies. The government didn't actually pay for the roads with their hard earned money. So, I'm not morally obligated to pay for them the same way I am to pay for something at Wal-Mart. Since the government maintains all of those services by theft, I think its morally acceptable to take advantage of them without paying, until those properties are transferred to private companies that don't have a legally enforced monopoly (note that I'm just dealing with the logical aspects here. I'll deal with "render unto Caesar" later if needed.)

And finally, even if we are morally obligated to pay taxes, that doesn't make taxes justified.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
The government didn't actually pay for the roads with their hard earned money. So, I'm not morally obligated to pay for them the same way I am to pay for something at Wal-Mart. Since the government maintains all of those services by theft, I think its morally acceptable to take advantage of them without paying...

congratulations

you've just convinced yourself that it's ok to steal because, well, because you say so

good luck with that one when you're standing before the judgement throne

Christian Liberty

congratulations

you've just convinced yourself that it's ok to steal because, well, because you say so

good luck with that one when you're standing before the judgement throne

No, you are the one that believes in theft. I believe all thieves are wrong. And I don't think there's something wrong with not paying thieves for services they provide with stolen money.

Then again, my sins are paid for by Christ, so there's that as well.

Quincy

Well, you're using a secular argument while I was dealing with what the Bible says about the issue. I'm OK with doing both but I just want to make a clear distinction here. THe point I was arguing before is that the Bible doesn't necessarily command that taxes should be paid. That's not the point I'm going to argue here (since you aren't a Christian by your own admission and thus it wouldn't matter to you.)

The world is a much different place now than when the bible was written. Culture isn't static and things advance, especially on a technological level. How do you know Jesus wouldn't want you to pay your taxes so that the bridge across the river, to the hospital, stays functional so the ambulance can get sick people to the hospital? How do you know he wouldn't want a defense system to keep murdering radicals from dropping planes out of the sky to take innocent lives? Would Jesus not want police and fire departments who have obligations to the entire public? You're arguing archaic views of government in a complex age like the 21st century.

I see a couple of problems with the "you should pay taxes because you use the services" logic. Three to be precise.

Alright.

First of all, as you say, not all of the money goes to infrastructure. People are also charged for SS that they won't get if they are young, wasteful military spending, and so forth. So, I'd say at least half of government spending, if not more, doesn't even actually benefit the payer. If (say) 10% taxation pays for all the things we actually use and the rest is just waste and useless programs, why is there a moral obligation to pay the whole thing? "Because its the law" isn't going to do it for me.

I've long thought an opt-in/out tax system would fix a lot of the issues driving the schism between the population and its elected officials.

More importantly, tax-provided services are paid for by theft and maintained by legally enforced monopolies. The government didn't actually pay for the roads with their hard earned money.

First of all, its not theft but rather obligation of citizenship. If you don't think its morally right for the government to take taxes period, you can always go live off the grid. You won't have to pay a thing if you don't want. The government is not "them" . They are made of us, people like you and me who get elected by people like you and me. They pay their taxes as well. An opt in/out option for taxes might be good, to help people with minority views feel less oppressed but it should be set up so that people who don't pay taxes can't use things that they don't pay for.

Today we have objects like cars, planes, boats and rails that provide us transportation and faster than ever shipment of goods. Infrastructure is important when it comes to maintaining a healthy population and a vibrant economy, I know you know that. One of the roles of our elected representatives (what is supposed to be one) is that they keep all of it operating. However, they ignore it and slap patches to the budget for it and waste the money on other unnecessary ideas. The problem isn't with the system but rather with us, the people. We should hold these politicians accountable to do their job. They're only held accountable at election time and by committees of their own peers. That's like having mobsters evaluate mobsters. They work for us but instead we elect them, send them to the capital, treat them like rock stars and watch the drama unfold on C-SPAN. It's our fault.

So, I'm not morally obligated to pay for them the same way I am to pay for something at Wal-Mart. Since the government maintains all of those services by theft, I think its morally acceptable to take advantage of them without paying, until those properties are transferred to private companies that don't have a legally enforced monopoly (note that I'm just dealing with the logical aspects here. I'll deal with "render unto Caesar" later if needed.)

Again, the US isn't Rome and this isn't the age the bible was written in. It may be designed with some of the good ideas romans had for government, but there is no us and them. There's no Caesar here, they are us and we are them. We need to start taking accountability and trimming the insanity out of Washington. The system isn't bad, we're just too complacent. It's become a circus of entertainers instead of a group of public servants. That doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

And finally, even if we are morally obligated to pay taxes, that doesn't make taxes justified.

Our federal government is too bloated, too partisan and too idealistic. It does a lot of wrong things with the revenue it incurs but that doesn't mean the essence of the system is flawed, immoral or unjustified. If our federal tax money went to the things it is supposed to like building and maintaining infrastructure, protecting the borders and settling disputes between states, then I'd imagine not very many would have a problem finding taxation reasonable. Besides, how can moral obligation not be reasonable/justified?

Christian Liberty

Youy're advocating some good ideas with the whole opt-out bit. But then it wouldn't be "taxation", it would be a voluntary interaction (unless the government made laws which prohibited competition with their services.)

With that said:

I haven't said that Jesus wouldn't want us to pay taxes. I don't think Jesus was concerned with the question at all. Incidentally, the question he was asked prior to his "render unto caesar" comment was whether it was permissible to pay Rome, not whether it was morally required. And he didn't even answer the question. I think it (paying taxes or not paying them) is a morally neutral question, its the collecting of taxes that is inherently immoral.

Regarding roads, hospitals, and fire departments, I think we should be willing to help our neighbors with those things, but they should be voluntarily funded, not with compulsory taxation.

Police are a different story. I think they are predominately bad, because they are required to enforce all the regulations of the bloated government rather than simply protecting us against aggressors.

Regarding politicians, there are a few good ones, such as Ron Paul, but most of them are criminals and scumbags. I don't really consider a politician (even a good one) to be paying taxes, since their salaries are paid for exclusively by taxation.

IMJerusha

I can't stand "law and order" types:rolleyes: , especially when they pretend to be small government conservatives.

Well, that's okay but you'd best be hanging up that whole Christian gig you've got going there.

First of all, even enforcing tax law is immoral. You have two proof texts that give you the idea that taxes should be paid. I could point out tons of proof texts that show you that tax collectors are sinful and evil.

Romans 13 would be a good start for you.

Second of all, vigilante killing someone for a victimless crime (and yes, refusing to pay taxes is a victimless crime since the tax collector has no right to the money he is taking) is blatantly murderous.

Vigilante? Are you by any chance referring to a law enforcement officer as a vigilante?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Well, that's okay but you'd best be hanging up that whole Christian gig you've got going there.

Romans 13 would be a good start for you.

Vigilante? Are you by any chance referring to a law enforcement officer as a vigilante?

he's a very confused young man

:think: who's very angry at cops because he got a speeding ticket in daddy's car

Christ's Word

So we can look forward to your exit soon?...or do you just enjoy his abuse?

My husband is not abusive, do you think you honor Yeshua when you lie about people you have never met? Is it honoring to lie and make false accusations about someone you don't know and have never spoken to? You are a real creep.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Zero, exactly. My husband does not drink alcohol.

Then there was no need for the appeal to "Tim". Nonetheless, it was your husband's "pause" that gave the officer his pause.

Been through many of them...had only one incident.... when my plates expired a couple of days prior! :noid:

IMJerusha

My husband is not abusive,

By your own words he called you a fool. That's abusive language. Matthew 5:22

do you think you honor Yeshua when you lie about people you have never met?

Did you not mean to post what you posted or did you not mean to hang yourself in your post which you did by your post?...by all your posts here at TOL.

Is it honoring to lie and make false accusations about someone you don't know and have never spoken to? You are a real creep.

I did not lie nor did I make a false accusation. You stated "My husband does not post on the internet, ever. He says it is the playground of fools like you."