Mexicans are Dumb and Will Destroy America?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Actually I agree with some of that myself, ever listen to much rap music and the desire for many to be "thugs" or live the "thug' life?

Its like its celebrated. Sickening.

Yep

I found that I could not work every day immersed in that culture.

It celebrates failure.

You are talking about inner city poor Urban Culture though. That is not synonymous with Black Culture.

No such thing as "Black Culture".

Or "White Culture", for that matter.

res observes:
I've never been fussed about the careless thinking of lazy thinkers

and barbie, the original lazy thinker of TOL carelessly responds:
With Koban, you never know if he's really obsessed with race, or just stirring the pot.

I suspect a little of both.

:darwinsm:

I love resurrected, but he's probably racist. :darwinsm:

I suspect we all are at some level, depending on your definition.

rice said:
Though, I doubt he's racist in practise, I imagine he's a great teacher for all white kids.

I had black kids in my class today.

Heck, I even touched one of them :noway:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yes. They actually behave badly sometimes but in a different way. I live near a bunch of poor rural neighborhoods. There are meth houses everywhere around here. Wife beating is common. People like to get drunk around here. Racism is also rampant. There are also a lot of young women on welfare too.

Are they home invading and killing old men and women, smashing and grabbing at local businesses, stealing cars and tying people to their porches while they have fun taking shots at them for no reason?

Wife beating isnt a cultural thing, it happens in all walks of life - drunks also cross societal and racial boundaries and so do drugs - those things are not limited to poor urban or rural areas those things are everywhere.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Yes. They actually behave badly sometimes but in a different way. I live near a bunch of poor rural neighborhoods. There are meth houses everywhere around here. Wife beating is common. People like to get drunk around here. Racism is also rampant. There are also a lot of young women on welfare too.

I worked in a primarily black urban school that met my college's need for a high-poverty placement.

I also worked in a primarily white rural school that was also defined as a high poverty school.

The urban school was ranked as one of the worst in the state - violence, failure, drug use, gangs - you name it, they had it. The city police had their own room near the administration offices and an officer assigned there permanently.

The rural school?

Polar opposite. Relatively high achievement (ranked in the 67th %ile, iirc), very low violence levels, very little drug problem, very little gang presence.

In the city they spent somewhere around $17,000 per student per year.

The rural school?

Around $14,000.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I worked in a primarily black urban school that met my college's need for a high-poverty placement.

I also worked in a primarily white rural school that was also defined as a high poverty school.

The urban school was ranked as one of the worst in the state - violence, failure, drug use, gangs - you name it, they had it. The city police had their own room near the administration offices and an officer assigned there permanently.

The rural school?

Polar opposite. Relatively high achievement (ranked in the 67th %ile, iirc), very low violence levels, very little drug problem, very little gang presence.

In the city they spent somewhere around $17,000 per student per year.

The rural school?

Around $14,000.

Thats been my experience also. That is why i do not believe the liberal lie that the entire problem of crime in most places in america is because of poverty.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I have a friend just like Trad in so many ways. He may even have aspergers, it's something we've always wondered about. He did this same thing. It stopped by a slow and continual reminder of what he already knew: using such a word probably isn't the best idea for your general psychological health. Translated into vernacular: "Dude, you know you have to stop that?", "You do realize this is becoming a problem?" And inevitably some kind of argument would follow, but if it was efficacious it wasn't an angry ordeal. In Catholic language he is failing to avoid a near occasion of sin, he's not Hitler.

I saw this on a poster in the special ed classroom I was in the other day

Trad - this is for you!

tumblr_mabllqNB6K1qzs532o1_500.gif

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
We are going in circles A4T. You and resurrected are both friends. I am going to drop this topic with you guys for now.

In the end, dolo, all we can bring here is our opinions, which are informed by our experiences.

I'm happy to share my experiences and I understand that others' experiences differ, as do their opinions.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, Trad's point was quite right.
Then I think you're as mistaken. :idunno:

Using the word for shock value is very different from the way it was used by the racist.
I didn't say he used it for shock value. I said he used it to amuse himself. I noted that without the association, the negative foundation he'd just be spouting nonsensical syllables, so for him or you or anyone to try to mitigate the usage is wrong headed and unreasonable.

Are you really trying to deny this? Res nailed it: his intent is absolutely different.
I responded on that point. You're talking about specific function. So it depends on how you look at it, but no matter how you do the root remains and the homage/strength of the word flows from that sewage.

And Trad's primary point was that origin does not determine whether usage is evil, which is fairly obvious.
I answered that point as well. It can and in this case does, since not only was the foulness in origin but is used to that end today. This isn't an evolution or alteration of a term, except in a community divided about it that isn't Trad's.

It's actually analogous to your shock value when you call a man "Sally" in a visitor message. Any shock and potential humor derive from the facts that:

1. Sally is a derogatory way to call a man feminine.
2. Such a strong, insulting turn of events catches the hearer off-guard.
3. It is clear that you are not actually intending the word in the derogatory sense: you are not actually calling him a Sally.
The N word isn't that sort of word. It was used against blacks to degrade them, to separate them in a negative. That's how Trad and most racists of varying stripe still use it.

...that's why you always follow such a thing with ":D".
No, if on some rare occasion I use Nancy (more often than another) I'll use the smiley to give the general public the understanding the person I'm speaking to will already have and it's an awful, thin comparison. Now were I to use fag in that way you'd have more of a point. It would be a closer parallel...but, of course, you won't find me using fag, or Chink or Dago, or any term that draws its strength from that sort of denigration.

Origin isn't a very good argument, nor is common usage in itself.
In order, it is the best possible argument and it is among racists. I don't know what study gives you the idea that it's more commonly used as an endearment or in some other way given that even within the black community there is real and heated discussion about how to approach the term. And that's a substantial minority, divided.

I think it's not only easy to argue that the use is evil, supporting and continuing an evil notion, but that I've done precisely that. I haven't heard a convincing counter to it yet, to match your practice on that point.

:e4e:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Strictly speaking, I don't think that his claim is racist. It sounds racist, but in the strictest sense, it's not racist. The claim isn't that all Mexicans are stupid and are likely to destroy America, or that Mexicans genetically are predisposed to be stupid and destroy America.

What he seems to be saying is that the vast majority of the Mexicans who are immigrating to America are stupid. This seems plausible: immigrants tend to be poor, and poor people tend to be stupid. Like tends to generate like. Poor, stupid parents tend to beget poor, stupid children.

So if you have an influx of poor, stupid, unskilled people (Mexican or otherwise) into the country, people who are likely to generate poor, stupid, unskilled children...how can this not have serious consequences for the country?

I think that his analysis is just spot on. He should have stood his ground.

you traditio are an intellectual idiot
and
thank you squeaky for that expression

Granite

Hall of Fame
Actually I agree with some of that myself, ever listen to much rap music and the desire for many to be "thugs" or live the "thug' life?

Its like its celebrated. Sickening.

I'm sure you're equally disgusted with the redneck white trash lifestyle glorified by so much C&W.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Not really. This one was born in dehumanizing evil and has been used since to degrade and insult. When you use a word that is still being used by racists toward that end it isn't in any sense better than saying "Yeah, but when I say 'Dirty Jew' I'm not meaning the same thing." :rolleyes: Words mean particular things. They carry historical weight with them often enough when they're strong enough. This one does and is.

As a rule, if you wouldn't say it in the light of day, in public and before the people you're referencing there's something wrong with your practice.

Your intent is, at the root, no different. It rests on an ugly foundation or it's meaningless. What makes the usage funny else? Outside of it's shock value which relies on that derogatory understanding it's just a sound you make.

Town Heretic, I can grant you the historical/public meaning of the term, but your point doesn't follow. Consider the following three cases:

1. Your hat is on fire, and I wish to bring this fact to your attention: "Your hat is on fire!"

2. Your hat is not on fire. I wish to make you momentarily think that your hat is on fire, fully aware that you'll discover this fact very quickly. It's a joke: "Your hat is on fire!" This is a venial sin.

3. Your hat is not on fire. There is a very poisonous spider on your hat, and I want you to reach up so that the spider will bite you, and you will die: "Your hat is on fire!" This is a mortal sin.

Note that in all three cases, the sentences have the same public sense/meaning.

Last edited:

bybee

Town Heretic, I can grant you the historical/public meaning of the term, but your point doesn't follow. Consider the following three cases:

1. Your hat is on fire, and I wish to bring this fact to your attention: "Your hat is on fire!"

2. Your hat is not on fire. I wish to make you momentarily think that your hat is on fire, fully aware that you'll discover this fact very quickly. It's a joke: "Your hat is on fire!" This is a venial sin.

3. Your hat is not on fire. There is a very poisonous spider on your hat, and I want you to reach up so that the spider will bite you, and you will die: "Your hat is on fire!" This is a mortal sin.

All of this is Ivory Tower nonsense and lawyerly speak! The plain fact is you are quilty of conduct unbecoming to a gentleman.
Your manners are absent!
I suppose you still guffaw with loud heartiness whenever someone passes wind?
When you grow up it is your manners that will largely determine where you fit socially.
For now, you barely qualify for the sand box!

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
I suspect we all are at some level, depending on your definition.

I used to think so too, however now no longer.

Racist thoughts and comments by ordinary individuals (I don't think anybody has endowed you with such a title before, interpret that as you wish!) [those comments] do not irritate or bother me.

Racist comments by world leaders, politicians or celebrities who can have an impact... irk me.

Racist actions are sickening and I joyously anticipate vengeance for said acts.

Comments, who cares?

It's inaccurate to try divide our species by race, and we are all created equal in the eyes of the lord - are we not?

I think I'd quickly abscond a racial prejudice with the knowledge that I'd likely spend eternity with at least a few (depending upon the father's preference for tan) in utopia, but that's your problem - not mine.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Rather, my point, which is that in any use the word draws its strength from both its historic and current use, which is derogatory. Now you could argue that among some blacks the term can be used differently. It has been argued in that community that this is the way they can own and rid themselves of its power, but that's disputed even within that minority community and you aren't a part of it. Your use, as a member of the race that both originated and continues to use it as an insult, to demean and lower in relation, is inexcusable. Advancing that injury in any part is a sin, I don't care how you break it down beyond that point. It does a disservice to your witness. To engage willfully, to hold that to yourself is unconscionable. Bad enough were you to be struggling against it. Unpardonable else.

RobertoKarr

Strictly speaking, I don't think that his claim is racist. It sounds racist, but in the strictest sense, it's not racist. The claim isn't that all Mexicans are stupid and are likely to destroy America, or that Mexicans genetically are predisposed to be stupid and destroy America.

What he seems to be saying is that the vast majority of the Mexicans who are immigrating to America are stupid. This seems plausible: immigrants tend to be poor, and poor people tend to be stupid. Like tends to generate like. Poor, stupid parents tend to beget poor, stupid children.

So if you have an influx of poor, stupid, unskilled people (Mexican or otherwise) into the country, people who are likely to generate poor, stupid, unskilled children...how can this not have serious consequences for the country?

I think that his analysis is just spot on. He should have stood his ground.

Try to be poor and immigrant in a country where you don't speak the language, then we can talk about the level of intelligence that you need to get a simple job.

I wonder , were this guys applying IQ tests written in English to Spanish speakers?.

zippy2006

All of this is Ivory Tower nonsense and lawyerly speak! The plain fact is you are quilty of conduct unbecoming to a gentleman.
Your manners are absent!
I suppose you still guffaw with loud heartiness whenever someone passes wind?
When you grow up it is your manners that will largely determine where you fit socially.
For now, you barely qualify for the sand box!

Bybee, I would invite you to read what Trad has written on the topic of racial slurs being used in jest. He has spoken out against it much more strongly than you have.

zippy2006

And Trad's primary point was that origin does not determine whether usage is evil, which is fairly obvious.
I answered that point as well. It can and in this case does,

Even at this point you've conceded the point. If it doesn't do so in every case, then merely citing "origins" is not a sufficient argument.

since not only was the foulness in origin but is used to that end today.

This is a completely different argument than origins, it is "common usage" as I noted in my last. This runs up against my Sally example.

1. Sally is a derogatory way to call a man feminine.
2. Such a strong, insulting turn of events catches the hearer off-guard.
3. It is clear that you are not actually intending the word in the derogatory sense: you are not actually calling him a Sally.
The N word isn't that sort of word. It was used against blacks to degrade them, to separate them in a negative. That's how Trad and most racists of varying stripe still use it.

It is that kind of word. Sally is used against the effeminate to degrade them, to separate them in a negative. Both cases are analogous and fulfill the first condition. If Trad can't use the n-word without evil intention, then you can't use Sally without evil intention.

No, if on some rare occasion I use Nancy (more often than another) I'll use the smiley to give the general public the understanding the person I'm speaking to will already have and it's an awful, thin comparison.

It's an analogy, and it proves my point.

Now were I to use fag in that way you'd have more of a point. It would be a closer parallel...but, of course, you won't find me using fag, or Chink or Dago, or any term that draws its strength from that sort of denigration.

Sally draws its strength from that sort of denigration.

In order, it is the best possible argument and it is among racists.

For the fourth time: Trad gave a much better argument.

I don't know what study gives you the idea that it's more commonly used as an endearment or...

:chuckle: Where in the world have I said anything of the like? Are we already at the point of blatant misrepresentation? :sigh:

I think it's not only easy to argue that the use is evil, supporting and continuing an evil notion, but that I've done precisely that. I haven't heard a convincing counter to it yet, to match your practice on that point.

:chuckle: Try opening your ears. You've already implicitly accepted that origins fails, and now you're running with common usage, which isn't faring very well either.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Zippy:

Why is the "right" or ability to freely use a filthy, disgusting, racially-charged insult so important to you?

zippy2006

Zippy:

Why is the "right" or ability to freely use a filthy, disgusting, racially-charged insult so important to you?

Granite, this is a long conversation that I think you are reading out of context. Here is the general progression of the part of the conversation concerning the n-word:

1. Trad admits he uses the n-word in private with friends and says it is a problem, but not a grave problem (he will eventually say it is a venial but not a mortal sin)

2. Everyone piles on as if such an act is the filthiest of racist acts

3. I defend Trad's point: it is a significant problem but it is very small compared to true racist use of the word

I see Trad make a relatively small mistake (which he has now fully admitted is a mistake and has said he will no longer make it). Then I see a horde of TOLers come out of the woodwork sentencing him to the gallows for his small mistake. So I stand up for Trad, never denying his mistake, but at the same time refusing the undue punishment desired by the others.

The bit with TH is related to a challenge I gave him: give Trad a solid argument instead of mere assertions as to why his act is evil. TH is inevitably still trying to do that, even though Trad provided a strong argument himself.

:e4e: