LGBT History Month

Arthur Brain

Your ranting your opinion has been equally predictable.

People choose who they find attractive.

You're just a religious crackpot yourself.

Did you? When have you "chosen" to find yourself attracted to somebody? When have you found yourself 'choosing' to fall in love with anyone?

Frankly, you're either a liar, bereft of feelings that most people have or you're that indoctrinated you have to cocoon yourself away from an obvious truth in order to maintain your ludicrous position. It's no wonder you can't answer these questions as if you've ever fallen for somebody you'd know fine well it wasn't something you "chose". To admit that would be to admit the folly of your 'argument' although not the dishonesty of your position in continually deflecting away from it.

People do not choose who they're attracted to and you damn well know it. If you don't then just wait until the day when someone takes your breath away and then pretend you chose that.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Did you? When have you "chosen" to find yourself attracted to somebody? When have you found yourself 'choosing' to fall in love with anyone?

Frankly, you're either a liar, bereft of feelings that most people have or you're that indoctrinated you have to cocoon yourself away from an obvious truth in order to maintain your ludicrous position. It's no wonder you can't answer these questions as if you've ever fallen for somebody you'd know fine well it wasn't something you "chose". To admit that would be to admit the folly of your 'argument' although not the dishonesty of your position in continually deflecting away from it.

People do not choose who they're attracted to and you damn well know it. If you don't then just wait until the day when someone takes your breath away and then pretend you chose that.

Of course they don't. As everyone very well KNOWS, what they choose is whether or not to act on the attraction. Apparently the line of thought is that to *admit* we have no control over attractions would reveal the argument as being based solely on religion or personal bias.

Right Divider

Body part

You're quite the zealous windbag.

Of course people choose who they are attracted to. It's not something that is forced upon people by some mysterious unknown force.

Arthur Brain

You're quite the zealous windbag.

Of course people choose who they are attracted to. It's not something that is forced upon people by some mysterious unknown force.

And you're quite the dope.

Else, see Rusha's answer above. People don't choose their attractions you silly crank. Haven't you ever had your head turned by a beautiful woman in your life? Do you think you consciously computed a series of willful decisions in order to deem her attractive? Ever been the victim of unrequited love? Have a conscious say in that as well did you?

Get. A. Grip.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Of course they don't. As everyone very well KNOWS, what they choose is whether or not to act on the attraction. Apparently the line of thought is that to *admit* we have no control over attractions would reveal the argument as being based solely on religion or personal bias.

Exactly, but don't expect RD to admit the blatantly obvious or for that matter to acknowledge whether he has control over his own or not...

Right Divider

Body part
And you're quite the dope.
Name-calling is all that you have.

Else, see Rusha's answer above. People don't choose their attractions you silly crank. Haven't you ever head your head turned by a beautiful woman in your life? Do you think you consciously computed a series of willful decisions in order to deem her attractive? Ever been the victim of unrequited love? Have a conscious say in that as well did you?

Get. A. Grip.
What causes this mysterious attraction that you claim?

Arthur Brain

Name-calling is all that you have.

Well no, common sense, logic and reality is what I have you 'zealous windbag'...

:rolleyes:

What causes this mysterious attraction that you claim?

Who knows? Where it comes to physical attractions then facial symmetry is one of the major factors although there's plenty of others and it's not fixed. Frankly, why are you ignoring my questions? Have you ever found your head turned by a beautiful woman? Had feelings for someone that weren't returned in kind? If you're not going to be honest enough to answer these very straightforward questions then you have no business trying to even argue on this matter.

Right Divider

Body part
Well no, common sense, logic and reality is what I have you 'zealous windbag'...

:rolleyes:
Sure you do.

Who knows? Where it comes to physical attractions then facial symmetry is one of the major factors although there's plenty of others and it's not fixed. Frankly, why are you ignoring my questions? Have you ever found your head turned by a beautiful woman? Had feelings for someone that weren't returned in kind? If you're not going to be honest enough to answer these very straightforward questions then you have no business trying to even argue on this matter.
So you don't know where it comes from, but you're completely sure that you know that it's not a choice. Great "common sense" and "logic" there.

Arthur Brain

Sure you do.

So you don't know where it comes from, but you're completely sure that you know that it's not a choice. Great "common sense" and "logic" there.

Yes, I do and once again you refuse to be honest and answer very straightforward questions which is an answer in itself. You know what myself and Rusha is saying is true but you won't admit it because it makes your entire argument look as ridiculous as it actually is.

If romantic feelings could simply be chosen and dispensed with at 'will' then we may as well be robots. love isn't something that you can turn on and off like a switch and you must surely know this? When those feelings come about it's not a choice or else why would people choose the hurt of unrequited love? If you've ever had feelings for someone who doesn't return them in kind then you know exactly what I'm talking about and just how ridiculous and stubbornly absurd your position is on this. Likewise, if you've had those feelings returned then you know the elation and joy such brings. It's only if you're incapable of feeling at all would you maintain this incredibly silly position of yours but then why even argue about something you'd be clearly incapable of commenting on?

:AMR:

Right Divider

Body part
If romantic feelings could simply be chosen and dispensed with at 'will' then we may as well be robots. love isn't something that you can turn on and off like a switch and you must surely know this?
That is hilarious. You're the one making people robots that have no choices but are somehow just "pre-programmed" to a certain state of being.

Arthur Brain

That is hilarious. You're the one making people robots that have no choices but are somehow just "pre-programmed" to a certain state of being.

This, coming from someone who hasn't once had the honesty to answer totally straightforward questions or answer points expanded upon. Why would people choose to fall in love with someone who doesn't feel the same way? You have absolutely nothing as an argument and why you maintain this absurdity is anyone's guess but it's either outright dishonest on your part or you're simply incapable of feeling.

Right Divider

Body part
This, coming from someone who hasn't once had the honesty to answer totally straightforward questions or answer points expanded upon. Why would people choose to fall in love with someone who doesn't feel the same way? You have absolutely nothing as an argument and why you maintain this absurdity is anyone's guess but it's either outright dishonest on your part or you're simply incapable of feeling.
You claim that people don't have feelings. They are just driven by some unseen and unknowable force.

I want to know where this pre-determinism comes from and will not take your bait until you fess up.

Arthur Brain

You claim that people don't have feelings. They are just driven by some unseen and unknowable force.

I want to know where this pre-determinism comes from and will not take your bait until you fess up.

"Bait"? You've been asked very simple questions and have consistently evaded answering them, that's it. You can't even answer as to why somebody would "choose" to develop feelings for someone that doesn't return them. I'm not arguing whatsoever that people 'don't have feelings', quite the contrary if you actually read what I've wrote properly. Also, the only person going on about 'pre-determinism' in this is you which frankly, seems to be yet another deflective side bar on your part.

If you're asking me to describe romantic love then look at the amount of literature and poetry on the topic. It's not a tangible object you can describe in terms of mass or something and nor is it something confined to absolute logic either. The reason I ask you these questions is for some common ground to work with. I've been in situations where romantic feelings have come out of the blue and in a couple of cases I wish I could have chosen to just switch those feelings off. I was friends with a fellow student on a college course some years back and I didn't have anything besides platonic feelings towards her. Some of my friends were calling me an idiot for not pursuing it further as we were close but those feelings were just not there for me. Then, one day they just were and too late at that. She'd developed feelings for one of her best friends that were unrequited in turn and on one night we got drunk together and bemoaned the painful irony of it all. You think I'd choose that? It sucked.

Ya know what, just write that off as anecdote or 'opinion' but I wager anybody who's honest on here can recall the times where they've just fallen for somebody for good or ill and that they didn't 'choose' it one way or the other. You can't even admit to anything of the sort and I'm tired of your evasion and dishonesty. Either that or your inability to feel emotion.

Right Divider

Body part
"Bait"? You've been asked very simple questions and have consistently evaded answering them, that's it. You can't even answer as to why somebody would "choose" to develop feelings for someone that doesn't return them.
Do you expect everyone to be omniscient?

I'm not arguing whatsoever that people 'don't have feelings', quite the contrary if you actually read what I've wrote properly. Also, the only person going on about 'pre-determinism' in this is you which frankly, seems to be yet another deflective side bar on your part.
You have consistently said that people don't choose their attractions. So just where do these come from? It certainly appears that you think that they are pre-determined by some source that you refuse to divulge.

Arthur Brain

Do you expect everyone to be omniscient?

I don't expect anyone to be omniscient...

You have consistently said that people don't choose their attractions. So just where do these come from? It certainly appears that you think that they are pre-determined by some source that you refuse to divulge.

Yes, I have because it's the truth of the matter. I don't choose to feel warm on a Summers day or wet when it's raining and those are sensations that I didn't design. I said nothing about pre-determinism that you seem to be fixated upon and yet again you won't answer very basic questions and just snip half of my post. Were you predetermined to be this continually dishonest and evasive?

Right Divider

Body part
I don't expect anyone to be omniscient...

Then your comment about "why would someone choose to be attracted to someone that will not return it" is weird and irrelevant. Just because someone cannot predict the future does not mean that they won't choose to be attracted to someone.

Yes, I have because it's the truth of the matter. I don't choose to feel warm on a Summers day or wet when it's raining and those are sensations that I didn't design.
Those are COMPLETELY different than making choices about things.

That you try to conflate these two very different things shows that you have a thinking problem.

I said nothing about pre-determinism that you seem to be fixated upon and yet again you won't answer very basic questions and just snip half of my post. Were you predetermined to be this continually dishonest and evasive?
We we do not choose these, then where do they come from?

You are the one having honesty problems.

Arthur Brain

Then your comment about "why would someone choose to be attracted to someone that will not return it" is weird and irrelevant. Just because someone cannot predict the future does not mean that they won't choose to be attracted to someone.

Why would I "choose" to remain in love with someone if they're in love with someone else? This has got nothing to do with your pet little fixation of pre-determinism so just answer that. Why the hell would anyone "choose" to remain in that condition if they could just "choose" to develop attractions to someone else?!

:freak:

Those are COMPLETELY different than making choices about things.

That you try to conflate these two very different things shows that you have a thinking problem.

In essence and context, no they aren't. You have about as much say in your romantic/physical attractions as you do in the sensations above.

We we do not choose these, then where do they come from?

You are the one having honesty problems.

We don't choose all manner of emotional aspects of our lives either, else tell a grieving parent that they're "choosing" to feel grief over the loss of a child. I am sick of your pathetic prevaricating and outright dishonesty and deflection on this topic. I am choosing to write this.

Right Divider

Body part
Why would I "choose" to remain in love with someone if they're in love with someone else? This has got nothing to do with your pet little fixation of pre-determinism so just answer that. Why the hell would anyone "choose" to remain in that condition if they could just "choose" to develop attractions to someone else?!

:freak:
People make all kinds of strange choices. So what?

In essence and context, no they aren't. You have about as much say in your romantic/physical attractions as you do in the sensations above.
They are categorically different.

We don't choose all manner of emotional aspects of our lives either, else tell a grieving parent that they're "choosing" to feel grief over the loss of a child. I am sick of your pathetic prevaricating and outright dishonesty and deflection on this topic. I am choosing to write this.
Good job.