Kentucky Pastor Barred From Ministering Over Biblical View on Homosexuality..

Jose Fly

All a matter of perspective.

IOW, "If you're a Christian, your bias will be with the pastor".

From a different one it's more like a fellow being told that new regulations won't allow him to continue handing out life jackets to people he sees floundering in rough seas, but he's more than welcome to counsel them on the general properties of water. :plain:

Inapt analogy between demonstrable, tangible human safety procedures and a set of religious beliefs.

PureX

Inapt analogy between demonstrable, tangible human safety procedures and a set of religious beliefs.
True. However, to those who confuse faith with pretense (as many Christians do), both conditions are equally "real".

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

I believe with all my heart and being that Jesus is God.

But I don't think this pastor has the right to demand that the state provide him with the means to indoctrinate prisoners, even if he was preaching Christian doctrine.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In other words, there's no neutral ground here. Everyone has a bias.

A peculiar criticism given you compared it to someone refusing physical protective gear. :plain:

The parallel is used to demonstrate how the second party approaches and views the prohibition, not whether you agree on his approach.

So to this minister he is being forbidden from doing what he deems necessary to protect the safety of the person he views as being imperiled. Like it/don't like it, agree or disagree it's as valid as any relativistic valuation and an imperative to the fellow in question.

PureX

Like it/don't like it, agree or disagree it's as valid as any relativistic valuation and an imperative to the fellow in question.
It's not a question of "validity", or personal imperatives. It's a question of civic rights and responsibilities. The minister's personal imperatives are not the Juvenile Detention Center's concern, nor their responsibility.

Jose Fly

Which is why we have a court system.

A peculiar criticism given you compared it to someone refusing physical protective gear.

Except that analogy was about the general concept of volunteers refusing to follow an agency's policies.

The parallel is used to demonstrate how the second party approaches and views the prohibition, not whether you agree on his approach.

Oh, I'm sure the pastor and his supporters view this as some sort of persecution of Christians. But that only matters to them.

So to this minister he is being forbidden from doing what he deems necessary to protect the safety of the person he views as being imperiled.

No he's not. He can still do that all he wants. He just can't do it as a volunteer for the government.

Like it/don't like it, agree or disagree it's as valid as any relativistic valuation and an imperative to the fellow in question.

That's why we have courts.

zoo22

This is like someone volunteering for the Army Corps of Engineers on a construction project, refusing to follow their safety policies ("I refuse to wear a hard hat!!"), and getting all indignant when they tell him to leave.

What about his freedom not to wear a hardhat!? ... Someone call the militia!*

If you're talking about the military... It's really more like a military chaplain not being allowed to preach to the troops that homosexuals should be put to death or that women shouldn't have authority over men or whatever.

They're perfectly free to put on their sandwich board sign and hit the streets on their own time singing fluffy songs about executing homosexuals, but they can't do it to the troops or as a military representative.

* 1-900 WE R NUTS

shagster01

quip

BANNED
Banned

Of course...though some biases being more accepting, compassionate and inclusive than others.... (QED)

Unless of course one's fully committed to the logically stilted "intolerant of intolerance" hypocrisy rhetoric.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Of course...though some biases are more accepting, compassionate and inclusive than others.
Says every guy who has one to the other guy.

Other guy bastards. :mmph:

Unless of course one's fully committed to the logically jilted "intolerant of intolerance" hypocrisy rhetoric.
Not in a month with an "r" in it. Because those are racy enough already.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Which is why we have a court system.
Or laws that let us be nuts in our own special way.

Except that analogy was about the general concept of volunteers refusing to follow an agency's policies.
And mine was about how someone might see the change in policy as something emperaling. So there we go.

Oh, I'm sure the pastor and his supporters view this as some sort of persecution of Christians.
Or maybe he simply views it as an unconstitutional interference.

I suppose we should just ask him.

But that only matters to them.
Whoever they are.

No he's not.
Not from your perspective. But you do realize it's not the only one in play.

He can still do that all he wants. He just can't do it as a volunteer for the government.
Was he volunteering to be a government agent or just volunteering to help those incarcerated by a government agency?

That's why we have courts.
No, we have courts to determine the legality of a prohibition or a right, etc. They don't determine the superior subjective valuation, only how any belief is protected or can be applied. This could be an interesting case if it's heard up the line.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
He can minister all he likes. What he can't do, is demand that the government give him a forum to do it.

I can understand why he doesn't like the law being what it is. I agree with him on that. That still doesn't give him the right to demand that the state give him access to kids so he can preach against it.

That's well and good, but this isn't really about the general scenario of a minister being given a forum by the state. It's about a particular perspective. What should happen to a minister who tells a gay kid that God loves him as he is and that there's nothing wrong with homosexuality? The State ends up being the advocate for a specific religious viewpoint.