Kentucky Pastor Barred From Ministering Over Biblical View on Homosexuality..

Jose Fly

The youth facility didnt employ him, he received no pay.

Doesn't matter. If you volunteer at a government agency and sign the volunteer form, you are legally bound by the rules and policies (e.g., safety rules) of that agency.

I've done it before.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Doesn't matter. If you volunteer at a government agency and sign the volunteer form, you are legally bound by the rules and policies (e.g., safety rules) of that agency.

I've done it before.

The problem is this in response to the loss of volunteer status- they deemed biblical morality wrong altogether without any incident - a clear violation of his freedom of religion, they are going to lose.

statement:

DJJ 912 equates the teaching of biblical morality with ‘derogatory,’ ‘biased” and ‘hateful’ speech,” added Staver.

Quetzal

The problem is this in response to the loss of volunteer status- they deemed biblical morality wrong altogether without any incident - a clear violation of his freedom of religion, they are going to lose.

statement:
It is not a violation of his freedom of religion, again, you really need a lesson on how freedoms work in this country. In no way did they violate his right to privately practice his religion.

Jose Fly

The problem is this in response to the loss of volunteer status

Which, according to just about every volunteer form I've seen, means the volunteer has even less rights than actual employees. The one's I've seen very specifically say the volunteer agreement can be broken at any time for any reason by either party.

they deemed biblical morality wrong altogether :

Again, doesn't matter. If the agency has a policy, volunteers for that agency are expected to follow it. If they don't, their volunteer agreement can be terminated and because they're volunteers and not actual employees, there's nothing they can do about it.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It is not a violation of his freedom of religion, again, you really need a lesson on how freedoms work in this country. In no way did they violate his right to privately practice his religion.

He cant practice as a minister when hes told he cant and made to sign a statement saying his beliefs are wrong.

quip

BANNED
Banned

statement: DJJ 912 equates the teaching of biblical morality with ‘derogatory,’ ‘biased” and ‘hateful’ speech,” added Staver.

That's Staver's opinion, not a fact.

Jose Fly

There's been so many threads on these sorts of issues, and every time the fundamentalists argue that "freedom of religion" to them means "freedom to use the government to promote Christianity".

Quetzal

He cant practice as a minister when hes told he cant and made to sign a statement saying his beliefs are wrong.
They have that right because they are a private institution. He is applying ministry on behalf of that institution. Therefore, that institution has every right to terminate their agreement at will.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
They have that right because they are a private institution. He is applying ministry on behalf of that institution. Therefore, that institution has every right to terminate their agreement at will.

I disagree, its a state agency, thats not a private institution, they receive government funding.

so it would be ok with you if a state agency fired someone for being gay, or made them sign an agreement that wouldn't say such and that its wrong in order to work there?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Its a fact that he was told to sign a form agreeing that part of his beliefs were wrong and that he wouldnt discuss them. In other words, his freedom of religion was violated.

He is a minister, are you guys brain dead?

Apparently the DJJ desire his services but don't want him ministering about homosexuality in the public sector.

They not only have the right to request such...they're duty bound to enforce it.

Jose Fly

Its a fact that he was told to sign a form agreeing that part of his beliefs were wrong and that he wouldnt discuss them.

Only if he wanted to volunteer at the agency. No one forced him to serve as a volunteer...that is his choice entirely.

Why is it such a shock that if you volunteer for an agency, you will be expected to follow that agency's policies?

He is a minister, are you guys brain dead?

And he still is, and is still free to be one at his church in whatever way he wants.

Why do you think "religious freedom" means "I get to use the government to preach whatever I want, regardless of government policies"?

Quetzal

I disagree, its a state agency, thats not a private institution, they receive government funding.

so it would be ok with you if a state agency fired someone for being gay, or made them sign an agreement that wouldn't say such and that its wrong in order to work there?
Granted, however, that would also be discrimination which would be illegal.

Jose Fly

This is like someone volunteering for the Army Corps of Engineers on a construction project, refusing to follow their safety policies ("I refuse to wear a hard hat!!"), and getting all indignant when they tell him to leave.

quip

BANNED
Banned
This is like someone volunteering for the Army Corps of Engineers on a construction project, refusing to follow their safety policies ("I refuse to wear a hard hat!!"), and getting all indignant when they tell him to leave.

Well, only if the hard-hat has religious/discriminative significance.

quip

BANNED
Banned
I believe the problem here is that from the minister's perspective (re: preaching his moral view condemning homosexuality) he's performing a valuable service. While the public sector views this as a blatant dis-service.

Growing pains. :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All a matter of perspective.

From a different one it's more like a fellow being told that new regulations won't allow him to continue handing out life jackets to people he sees floundering in rough seas, but he's more than welcome to counsel them on the general properties of water. :plain:

quip

BANNED
Banned
All a matter of perspective.

From a different one it's more like a fellow being told that new regulations won't allow him to continue handing out life jackets to people he sees floundering in rough seas, but he's more than welcome to counsel them on the general properties of water. :plain:

Your bias is showing.