Kentucky Pastor Barred From Ministering Over Biblical View on Homosexuality..

TrakeM

If you are against this, I assume you would have no problem with a muslim employee telling prisoners that being a christian is wrong and they must start believing in allah. After all, the muslims say their book is god's word and that god's laws override your civil laws and the laws of your god and they have just as much scientific evidence to back up their claims as you do for yours.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If you are against this, I assume you would have no problem with a muslim employee telling prisoners that being a christian is wrong and they must start believing in allah. After all, the muslims say their book is god's word and that god's laws override your civil laws and the laws of your god and they have just as much scientific evidence to back up their claims as you do for yours.

No, you would be wrong- i believe in freedom of religion, and speech, if they request a Muslim cleric to speak with, they should be counseled accordingly. I wouldnt expect a muslim cleric to sign something agreeing not to present what their beliefs are. They also believe homosexuality is wrong.

Quetzal

Of course you do, it supports what you believe, freedom of speech and religion be damned -would you be in equal agreement if an atheists for example had to sign something agreeing that they wouldn't maintain that God doesn't exist?
Depends on the context of which this is occurring and the job in question. If an atheist takes a job within an Christian context, this should be expected. After all, you are agreeing to maintain/support the views of those who hired you. By the same token, if you are hired by a secular agency that does not actively subscribe to the Christian tradition and you take it upon yourself to voice controversial views linked to the Christian tradition (which are also counter to the positions of the hiring body), you should expect consequences.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Depends on the context of which this is occurring and the job in question. If an atheist takes a job within an Christian context, this should be expected. After all, you are agreeing to maintain/support the views of those who hired you. By the same token, if you are hired by a secular agency that does not actively subscribe to the Christian tradition and you take it upon yourself to voice controversial views linked to the Christian tradition (which are also counter to the positions of the hiring body), you should expect consequences.

A minister, ministers in the context of the religion they minister from.

These are volunteer counselors, they are not "hired".

This is about a minister being told not to minister according to ALL of their beliefs.

This would be the same as say me asking for a minister to come to me in the hospital, and then the hospital making my minister sign an agreement that he wont talk about parts of his beliefs even if asked, and agreeing that part of his beliefs are wrong and he will agree its wrong and not talk about them, in order to minister to me.

Seems you dont understand the issue here.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned

This is about a minister being told not to minister according to ALL of their beliefs.

This would be the same as say me asking for a minister to come to me in the hospital, and then the hospital making my minister sign an agreement that he wont talk about parts of his beliefs even if asked, and agreeing that part of his beliefs are wrong and he will agree its wrong and not talk about them, in order to minister to me.

One would assume you were in the hospital voluntarily.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I can't remember the occasion where I read it but in our country there was a case where a wife brought divorce proceedings against her husband, citing adultery with another man. Apparently in law the only way she could justify this was if the adultery was with someone of the opposite sex because that was how adultery was defined. So her proceedings failed. And then they want to legalise homosexual marriage! What hypocrisy!

But I bet that in a few years the male chicken will come home to roost. Edit: Wow, it's a proverb, for goodness sake, can't we use normal words nowadays? The male chicken.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Of course you do, it supports what you believe, freedom of speech and religion be damned -would you be in equal agreement if an atheists for example had to sign something agreeing that they wouldn't maintain that God doesn't exist?

There actually is a "church" which maintains that God doesn't exist. And yes, they should also be denied government support for their "religious" beliefs, just as other religions should not be supported by the government.

This is particularly true when it come to people who want to indoctrinate minors. Bottom line? No one is entitled to have the government help him proselytize.

TracerBullet

i doubt most atheists would want to subject children in a juvenile facility to such. But that is aside from the point that DJJ staff, volunteers, interns, and contractors shall not imply or tell LGBTQI juveniles that they are abnormal, deviant, sinful, or that they can or should change their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Isn't that an infringement on first amendment rights, freedom of speech.

Actually they are violating his religious rights. They can not make him preach, they can not stop him from preaching.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Actually they are violating his religious rights.

No. He does not have a right to insist that the government help him preach his beliefs.

They can not make him preach, they can not stop him from preaching.

They can, however, tell him that he won't be doing it on their dime. If he wants to do it, he can find a place of his own.

Quetzal

I do understand the issue. The minister made statements and held discussions that the DJJ didn't approve of and they told him to get lost. This is well within their right to do.