It's Not for Today or It is For Today

oatmeal

Paul said that these things would cease, 1 Corinthians 13:8, 9, 10.

Tongues, miracles, visions, healings are a distraction from the Gospel. They are not happening today.

That which is perfect has already arrived, The New Testament.

Pentecostals need to put away childish things, 1 Corinthians 13:11.

I Corinthians 13:12 Face to face with whom?

I John 3:2 face to face with Jesus Christ, until then, all is yet in place.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They will cease, FUTURE tense. Show me where it says that they have ceased, PAST tense.

B/R...I have long asked for chapter and verse on this matter, but alas there would be no reply or I was ignored.

Yes they will cease in the future, I agree.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tongues, miracles, visions, healings are not for today.

God used these things in the early church to spread the good news of his Son Jesus Christ.

We have to remember that there were no Bibles in the early church. Everything was by word of mouth.

The apostles would perform a miracle and then when they had everyones attention they would preach the Gospel. The miracles and healings confirmed that what the apostles were preaching was from God.

Today we have a New Testament that reveals the whole revelation of Jesus Christ and his Gospel. No more miracles, visions, tongues, etc. are needed.
Stirring the waters are we, like the angel at the Pool of Bethesda, and that only at certain season.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There were tongues in Acts and Paul describes the gift of tongues for private us for self edification and for use in the assembly along with interpretation.

Cults always counterfeit God...if there is a counterfeit there must be a true. Cults do not speak in tongues given by the Holy Ghost.

Just now you said tongues were childish...I don't think Paul was ever childish, now you say they are no big deal...is that how you say to God? "don't give me any gift, they are no big deal"

Anything God gives is precious and lovely and useful for edification.

You are showing a very bad attitude toward God.
Next he'll, "We cannot know for sure." -- That will be the first crack in his foundational defense.

Robert Pate

Banned
Stirring the waters are we, like the angel at the Pool of Bethesda, and that only at certain season.

Pentecost was an event. It was about how God was making the Gospel of his Son Jesus Christ known to the world.

God used many various methods to proclaim the good news of the Gospel to a lost and sinful world.

Pentecost was not about how you can have a satisfying religious experience in your flesh.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pentecost was an event. It was about how God was making the Gospel of his Son Jesus Christ known to the world.
I know that. What do you think I get up and take stupid pills for breakfast to come at play ignorant at TOL?
God used many various methods to proclaim the good news of the Gospel to a lost and sinful world.
And He still uses various methods to proclaims the Good News to a lost and sinful world.
Pentecost was not about how you can have a satisfying religious experience in your flesh.
True, and I never said it did, does, or will. O my I forgot I took those stupid pills again.

And what does this have to do with the above posting of yours...

Originally Posted by Psalmist

God's Truth

They will cease, FUTURE tense. Show me where it says that they have ceased, PAST tense.

Paul says when prophecy is complete tongues will cease. Jesus the perfect came and tongues was given during the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid. All the prophecies about Jesus have also been given.

God's Truth

Tongues did not stop during the time Jesus Christ, the Apostles and Prophets were laying down the foundation because the Apostles were still writing the scriptures. Imagine if tongues had stopped in the people who had the gift, others would erroneously believe that God also took salvation away from them, since the Jews believed God accepted Gentiles as was evident by their speaking in words of God in different languages.

However, tongues have since ceased. Jesus, the prophets and the apostles have laid the foundation; the Bible is finished. New prophecies and new knowledge have ceased also, just as the Bible says they would, for you know you cannot add new prophecies and new knowledge to the Bible.

As for the statement in 1 Corinthians 13:10, “but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears”, nowadays tongue speakers claim that tongue speaking will not cease until Jesus comes again. However, that scripture does not say tongues will not stop until Jesus comes again. That scripture is about Jesus coming the first time.
The prophets in the Old Testament prophesied about Jesus, and prophets in the New Testament prophesied about our salvation. This is what Paul says, “…where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.”

When you only have prophesy in part, because the prophecy has not yet been fulfilled, or more prophecy is needed, it is imperfect, it is imperfect because the prophesy is in “part” or not yet fulfilled. However, when there is fulfillment of prophecy or more prophecy for what we need to know, then we have full understanding, so then, it is perfect and, that which is perfect is come. The Old Testament believers waited a long time for God to reveal Jesus to us, and now finally, from the Bible, we see that God has revealed Jesus, in the New Testament, the perfect has come. The Bible has everything we need to know for salvation. It is perfect. The New Testament is the “perfect law” given to us, James 1:25. The apostles from the New Testament received all the truth we need to guide us to eternal life, and they wrote this down in the Scriptures: John 16:13; 2 Peter 1:3; Acts 20:20, 27; Matthew 28:20; I Corinthians 14:37; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Romans 16:25-27.

We do not need anyone's tongue speaking to know more things about God's Truth, we have the Bible, and it is finished.

God's Truth

B/R...I have long asked for chapter and verse on this matter, but alas there would be no reply or I was ignored.

Yes they will cease in the future, I agree.

I give chapter and verse to everything I believe.

If you are practicing now a days tongue speaking, then you have been misled.

May God's Truth keep us close to Him and not a counterfeit copycat.

Robert Pate

Banned
I know that. What do you think I get up and take stupid pills for breakfast to come at play ignorant at TOL?

And He still uses various methods to proclaims the Good News to a lost and sinful world.

True, and I never said it did, does, or will. O my I forgot I took those stupid pills again.

And what does this have to do with the above posting of yours...

Originally Posted by Psalmist

God is no longer conveying the Gospel through tongues, miracles, etc.

The Gospel today is conveyed through preaching, preferably through verbal preaching.

heir

TOL Subscriber
I have never claimed to be an apostle, the gifts Paul says are for EVERY man to profit withal...do you participate in the assembly? if you do it can only be in the flesh for you don't believe in the Holy Spirit ministering through the body members.
Where are your gifts that you claim are for today? Show us.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Tongues are no longer needed. There are hundreds of Bibles today that are printed in every language imaginable..
Tongues were for a sign.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

And who required a sign?

1 Corinthians 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

By the time you and I came around, what had become of them?

Romans 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

No further need for tongues then!

Interplanner

But it is not just translation at stake. They were a sign that the mission of God was now the Gospel of Christ to the nations. The true tongues were a sign to a person in Judaism who did not accept that. This is what Acts 2, 11, 19 and I Cor 14's quote of Isaiah have in common. This is why it did not happen in ch 3; they had had that sign. It is fascinating that Paul mentions this purpose in I Cor 14 even though something else, something less specific is going on at Corinth.

This is related to Babel: it is the redemptive reversal of Babel now that Messiah is enthroned. Now one message is available in all languages by supernatural action, for Babel was one wrong message and language confused into many languages by God's judgement.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Where are your gifts that you claim are for today? Show us.

We can only testify what God has done, we have put many testimonies up of how God has worked and is working in our lives. It is not to boast but we must testify, we are obliged to. To not do so is to dishonour God who has worked miracles, answered prayers...saved lost souls through our ministry.

It would be the same as saying that WE did it by or own power or wisdom.

If we are not being used in outreach, if we see no miracles, no answers to prayer, no workings of the Holy Spirit then we have nothing to say on the matter....we can only testify of what we ourselves have and have witnessed.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Tongues were for a sign.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

And who required a sign?

1 Corinthians 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

By the time you and I came around, what had become of them?

Romans 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

No further need for tongues then!

Tongues with interpretation are given to edify the assembly to profit withal. Learn from the bible instead of being spoonfed.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
God is no longer conveying the Gospel through tongues, miracles, etc.

The Gospel today is conveyed through preaching, preferably through verbal preaching.

Which is why we see multitudes saved in the bible and few saved today....

Where preaching is done God's way today, that is not with wisdom of men's words but in the power and demonstration of the Holy Ghost we see the multitudes.

You should look and see what God is doing in China and Africa.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
We can only testify what God has done, we have put many testimonies up of how God has worked and is working in our lives. It is not to boast but we must testify, we are obliged to. To not do so is to dishonour God who has worked miracles, answered prayers...saved lost souls through our ministry.

It would be the same as saying that WE did it by or own power or wisdom.

If we are not being used in outreach, if we see no miracles, no answers to prayer, no workings of the Holy Spirit then we have nothing to say on the matter....we can only testify of what we ourselves have and have witnessed.

....It is my contention that God has used me in winning souls because I am weak and not so smart....

Robert Pate

Banned
Which is why we see multitudes saved in the bible and few saved today....

Where preaching is done God's way today, that is not with wisdom of men's words but in the power and demonstration of the Holy Ghost we see the multitudes.

You should look and see what God is doing in China and Africa.

No one can be saved without hearing and believing the Gospel.

The Holy Spirit and the Gospel are inseperable. You cannot have one without the other.

Asking people to accept Christ as their savior without the Gospel will produce counterfeit Christians.

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have come to this conclusion about "It's Not for Today or It is For Today"

It is like the 12 spies of Israel, 10 were naysayers, 2 were we can do it men, of course we know the two were Joshua and Caleb.

You keep saying it is not for us or yourself and you'll never know the fullness and a real joy of the Lord. It is like Job, the thing he feared overtook him and Job admits that that is the truth.

With the thing(s) that are not for today and are not agreed with, why not cut it out of your Bible and you'll not be troubled with it.