Isn't it reasonable to doubt Young Earth Creationism?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you think it means that they will cease to exist?

Here is what awaits the Satan.

"Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor;
I cast you to the ground,
I laid you before kings,
That they might gaze at you.
You defiled your sanctuaries
By the multitude of your iniquities,
By the iniquity of your trading;
Therefore I brought fire from your midst;
It devoured you,
And I turned you to ashes upon the earth
In the sight of all who saw you.
All who knew you among the peoples are astonished at you;
You have become a horror,
And shall be no more forever." (Ezekiel 28:17-19)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
It's our choice.

Adam didn't fall, he only sinned. We all have.

It wasn't a fall, it was by design.
I don't know anything about Calvinism.
So what do you mean when you say, "it was by design"?

And you still haven't answered my question with an answer appropriate for the question.

Was God's intent, when He created man, for man to live forever with Him?

Stuu

I don't know anything about Calvinism.

Explain it to me.
Calvanism is the belief that your whole life is predetermined by your god, and you are like a greyhound (well, not in the case of your avatar, obviously) running around a track following a lure. Your own free will is essentially irrelevant because whatever you think yourself, your destiny in your life and the afterlife has been already laid down, and you are just following the pattern to hell, or not.

A Calvanist would say there is more to it than that, but if you are called Calvanist as an insult, the above is what is meant by that.

Stuart

Stuu

Atoms are the building blocks of the physical universe.

Where did atoms come from?
Good question. The stuff that makes up atoms, the matter, is essentially the same thing as what we call energy. The energy that makes up matter was converted from the gravitational energy of the inflation at the beginning of the universe. Matter is all borrowed from the Big Bang.

It took a while for the universe to cool down after the Big Bang, cool enough to allow atoms to form and stay together. That's where all the hydrogen came from, and some helium and lithium.

The rest of the atoms, the heavier ones than those three, came from processes within stars, especially very large stars that 'go nova' and explode, forcing atoms together with extreme forces, making new atoms.

Gold atoms are made when neutron stars collide, one of the freakier events in the universe.

You are star stuff: your atoms were made in a star (except the hydrogen atoms). Since stars are nuclear reactors, you can also say that we are all nuclear waste...

Thanks for asking the question!

Stuart

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't give me grief about my name. I've had enough grief over it already.

I can't promise anything. :D

Look. I can have a serious conversation with you, or we can both just goof around with each other. I'm partial to either way (I don't take myself to seriously). But I don't like to mix the two. I'll take our discussion as seriously as you take it. So you can reply with more goofball stuff and half-baked accusations (to which I will reply similarly), you can put your money where your mouth is and put down some rock solid evidence (which I will take a good honest look at), or you can go on your merry way.

I prefer to stay on topic. You asked a question at the top of the thread, I answered it. You seem to accept the answer.

I guess the thread is over. :idunno:

If you want to talk about something else, start a new thread, or if you're the conservationist type, change the topic on here.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And you still haven't answered my question with an answer appropriate for the question.

Was God's intent, when He created man, for man to live forever with Him?

It depends on whether the person wants eternal life.

It's a gift, but if a person doesn't want the gift it's not given.

It was God's intent that we choose.

He tells us to choose life, but we may choose not to.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So what do you mean when you say, "it was by design"?

Paul explains the carnal mind is enmity against God, for it is not subject to the law of God nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

It's the way humans were created. It's called human nature.

Perfectly natural.

We must change and be converted by Christ.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Good question. The stuff that makes up atoms, the matter, is essentially the same thing as what we call energy.

Yes, we can convert matter to energy. There's a formula as to how much energy.

What's the formula for converting gravitational energy to matter?

Gravity is a law of physics. Who invented physics?

Is there a lawgiver?

6days

The new heaven and earth is after the earth is destroyed.
The rebellious angels are no longer cursed. Jesus took their curse.
Romans 5, 1 Cor. 15 and more tell us that Jesus went to Calvary for the descendants of first Adam.
Paul said those in heaven and earth have been reconciled.
All in the new heaven and new earth will have been reconciled. (Reconciliation is for those who love Him 1 Cor. 2:9, James 2:5.} Jesus tells us that the fallen / demonic angels will be in eternal fire. Matt. 25:41

Lon

Pew does a lot of research. You're going to have to be much more specific.
You know what I figure? I figure if you are interested in true stats, you can type. If not? Not really a big deal (I provided a link in my post to another in thread immediately after answering you if you are interested).

I still don't know what you're referring to by "atheistic science". Can you give an example?
It is basically your worldview, Jose. It is in your sig. It is in your conversation. As an atheist doing science, you've your own doctrinal bents.

Then I would expect you to agree that anything like....

By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record.

...isn't at all scientific.
I think I do agree, but not probably like you are thinking. If someone tells you answers, you 'might' go the long way to figure out how that figure came up, but you could also just take it at face value. It certainly doesn't mean one can't look, if they have a desire to do so, using the scientific method.

You have no idea how funny it is to me that you've never been able to get past that quote. It obviously struck a nerve.
No, not at all. I GENERALLY think people who post sigs, mean it. If you don't, you 'might' consider changing it. Think "moniker," Jose. It is hard to get past it WHEN you portray the sig in your demeanor and discussion/debate structure. Sorry, Jose. You wrote and continue to write it yourself and it sticks. Whatever humor MUST be your own fault or doing, or however you like to think of it. So there it is and it is what it is: No nerve, just how I continually think of you, by your own hand.

It looks like you're trying to put theistic evolutionists in the category of creationists, while excluding them from the category of evolutionists. Do I have that right?
Not necessarily theistic evolutionists, though I'd suspect them too. Nutshell: ANYONE who is a Christian and believes Christ created everything, is a 'creationist.' It would include anybody that believes God did anything to make life etc. happen. Your wife is a creationist if she is a Christian.

Lon

Sorry,not sure what the 10% is referring to.

What I see in those data is a radical change in the youngest demographic group, one that shows that christianity and creationism are dying in the US, literally. 50% of the population overall accept some version of evolution, even if it is a god-directed version, whatever they mean by that, but that's what they believe. Add together the figures for the youngest group, and it is 65% for some kind of evolution.

I'm not complaining of course, the promotion of creationism is a form of child abuse when it is promoted in school boards, there is no question about that. In my opinion, the death of christianity is also something to be encouraged, for the sake of humanity.

Stuart
I provided a link that says 'basically unchanged' so it looks MORE like wishful thinking to me.

Tnkrbl123!

I got into a discussion about young Earth creationism recently. My position was that YECism is completely debunked because it is obvious that there are objects in the night sky that are much older than 6,000 years. For instance, the galaxy Andromeda is roughly 2.5 million light years away. That means that when we look at Andromeda, we don't see it as it is today. We see what it looked like two-and-a-half million years ago. (It takes the light from that galaxy that long to reach us.)

My friend, who is a Christian (but not a YEC) agreed with me, but introduced me to a bit of apologetics that says this: just as God made Adam in a mature state, so too he made the cosmos appear mature. I guess this works, but it sounds a little bit like squaring the circle. After all, in doing this, God has given anyone with a telescope very good reason to doubt the literal accounts in Genesis. My friend even added a nice counter argument along this same vein: we can see stars that are much farther than 6,000 light years years away enter their dying phase. By creationist logic, when we see this, we are in fact seeing stars die that were never born in the first place. That makes no sense!

Unless you are going to see God as a cosmic practical joker, the "mature universe" apologetics are not very plausible. But my reason for starting this thread wasn't just to push that point. My question is for YECs: Isn't it reasonable for a person to conclude that the universe is older than 6,000 years? I mean, it seems pretty obvious that it is. Can you really fault anyone for coming to that very sensible conclusion? After all, even if the accounts in Genesis ARE literally true, God went through a lot of trouble to make it look otherwise. Whether it turns out to be true or not, isn't it reasonable to doubt young earth creationism?

God created us as rational, inquisitive beings and I think to be a Christian does not mean you have to believe in a literal 6 day, 6000 year old earth. It is completely rational to question and explore these things and anyone who just blindly believes things that are told to them without questioning the things we know, why we know and how we know...well I think that there's definitely something wrong with that.
A faith that does not stand up to questioning or falls apart when looked into deeper is not a very good faith to place your entire life and being into being committed too.

I have struggled with this for a long time and I have seen many good arguments from very faithful, Christ loving Christians on both sides. And there never will be an answer to this topic that EVERY Christian will 100% agree upon because quite frankly the Bible is not a science book, it does not give us "scientific proofs" in the way we consider scientific proofs in today's day and age - thats not the point of the Bible. But a very important aspect of the Christian faith is FAITH and that is FAITH in things not seen and faith in things that our finite human brains have not yet, or never can understand.
But Christian faith is placing your faith in a God you have not seen yet through personal expirienxe and historical eye witness accounts we know is real - Jesus Christ our Lord and God. The God who created everything in existence.
The Bible does not say that "strict belief in a 6000year old earth is the way you are saved and the way you will spend eternity with God." Belief in a 6000 year old earth requires a lot of faith - and we may never know the truth until Jesus revels it to us when we are with Him (if He chooses to do at all) and when we are finally with Him I believe we won't be worried about these things because we will be face to face with the living God and nothing will ever be the same.
But whatever way a Christian believes is not a requirement for salvation and everlasting life - if it WAS then every person who came before "modern science" might be screwed or vice versa.

I know that doesn't seem like a very satisfying answer to your question but that's what I've come up with by grappling with this for years