Is Enyart worshipped like Jesus

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Clete said:
Why should we? First of all, we aren't guilty of what you accuse us of in this post in the first place and secondly (and more importantly) you've given exactly zero reason why we should. Are we supposed to simply take your word for it? I don't think that's going to happen. Have you offered one single substantive argument to refute any of the myriad of teachings that Bob has available for free on his web site; even one single substantive argument? Just one argument, that's all I want for now. Can you do that or is, "Stop following that guy because his style is too harsh for my taste." as good as you've got?

Resting in Him,
Clete
No. I don't say stop following the guy. But the nicer than God stuff is not right, and that is what I have a problem with. But it's compounded by the fierce devotion to him on this board. That's what freaks me out a little. I know most of what Bob teaches is good, but his style needs a little work, and his style stems from the nicer than God teaching. That's all I have against him. I'm sure he's a good man in general. I'd love to talk to him but not on national radio.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Edge said:
No. I don't say stop following the guy. But the nicer than God stuff is not right, and that is what I have a problem with. But it's compounded by the fierce devotion to him on this board. That's what freaks me out a little. I know most of what Bob teaches is good, but his style needs a little work, and his style stems from the nicer than God teaching. That's all I have against him. I'm sure he's a good man in general. I'd love to talk to him but not on national radio.
Okay, this is a reasonable position given the state of the church in this country. I can live with this but since we are on a debate forum how about we debate the whole nicer than God thing rather than trying to make Bob out to be some sort of cult leader when you know he isn't anything of the sort. If you want to see a bunch of people turn on Bob Enyart, let him start, for even one moment, acting like he's the messiah incarnate or some other wacko nonsense like that. I can assure you that Bob would sooner allow himself to be eaten alive by wild dogs before permiting anyone to worship him for even a fraction of a second.

Now, what is it exactly that you don't like about this nicer than God thing? Do you think we should be nicer than God, or don't you think that it is even possible to be nicer than God, or what?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Johnny

Now, what is it exactly that you don't like about this nicer than God thing? Do you think we should be nicer than God, or don't you think that it is even possible to be nicer than God, or what?
I know you're not addressing me specifically, but I think we should love one another, as God commanded us. God isn't always nice. In the Old Testament, God killed people, burned a whole city, hardened Pharaoh's heart only to smack him down, destroyed races, and drowned millions of people. Does that mean we have the right to do the same? Certainly not. He is God, we are not. We are not entitled to behave like God. You can argue and quibble all you want about the way Jesus treated people and the way God treats people. However, Jesus was very clear about how we were to behave: Love our enemies, do good to people who hate us, pray for those who curse us.

In Matthew 5:21-22 Jesus says, "Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

James 3 tells us of the powers of the tongue and warns us about how we use our tongue:

3:1
My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
3:2
For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
3:3
Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
3:4
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
3:5
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
3:6
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
3:7
For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
3:8
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
3:9
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
3:10
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
3:11
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
3:12
Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

James 4:11 warns us: "Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of [his] brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge."

God tells us what is right and wrong. We don't have to and shouldn't infer by His actions.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Very well said, Johnny. It's so plain in the Bible how we are to treat others, yet these people think otherwise, and it is very sad to see Christians do so. I'm probably going to build my own case against "Nicer than God" because that is my chief problem with Bob Enyart. I agree with his views on the death penalty, I agree with spanking children (though not to the extreme that Enyart did) and I agree with him on the fundamentals of the gospel. But I don't buy into this Nicer than God stuff and I'll start a new thread about it when and if I build my case. I think it's wrong and antiscriptural, and the problem here is that nearly everyone who follows Enyart buys into this writing wholeheartedly and is unwilling to give it up. And if I start this thread about it, I invite Bob Enyart himself to come in and kindly discuss it humanely, if that's possible.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Edge said:
He doesn't accept PM? So he only talks in public. That is the mark of someone who likes to humiliate.
Edge, once again you demonstrate that you are a real jerk. I just told you he accepts emails and off-the-air calls. He also accepts "snail" mail. If he did accept PMs, it would probably be the slowest way to get in touch with him, since he's on TOL infrequently.

You don't accept emails sent through TOL's system. Should we all assume you have some fiendish motive for that? :rolleyes: Of course not.

Actually, I shant talk to him on second thought, unless he comes on here.
So you'll only talk in public? Didn't you just say that this is the mark of someone who likes to humiliate?

There's nothing I could say to make him change his mind.
Before you said, " I am somewhat interested in where he's coming from." :think:

He has an empire and I'm nothing. I'm just another bug he can squish.
It's easier to take potshots at someone who isn't around.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Johnny said:
I know you're not addressing me specifically, but I think we should love one another, as God commanded us.
Exactly! Bob couldn't have said it better himself.

God isn't always nice. In the Old Testament, God killed people, burned a whole city, hardened Pharaoh's heart only to smack him down, destroyed races, and drowned millions of people. Does that mean we have the right to do the same? Certainly not.
We don't have the right to destroy races and cause worldwide floods because we do not have the authority to do those things, not because they are unloving or ungodly.

He is God, we are not. We are not entitled to behave like God. You can argue and quibble all you want about the way Jesus treated people and the way God treats people. However, Jesus was very clear about how we were to behave: Love our enemies, do good to people who hate us, pray for those who curse us.
We aren't entitled to behave like God? Are you sure you don't want to take that one back? I can establish very easily that the Bible teaches that we are to be immitators of God. I'll wait to do so until you've had a chance to change you mind about this point.
Further, Jesus is God and God is not inconsistent with Himself. I submit that you have a distorted understanding of what it means to love your enemy and to do good to those who hate you.

In Matthew 5:21-22 Jesus says, "Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."
Every time someone quotes these verses in this context I just have to scratch my head. I really don't get it. How does this help your case? The only way it would is if you read it as though the words "without cause" weren't in there. But they are in there and so this doesn't help you at all. In fact this is the essence of what Bob teaches. These two verses aren't exactly a nicey nice thing to say to someone. Can you imagine telling your next door neighbor that if he is angry at someone without cause that he is in danger of Hell fire? How "nice" would that be? Not very. And that's just the point Bob is trying to make.

James 3 tells us of the powers of the tongue and warns us about how we use our tongue:

3:1 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. 2For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. 3Indeed, we put bits in horses' mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. 4Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. 5Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.

See how great a forest a little fire kindles! 6And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. 7For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. 8But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. 10Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. 11Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? 12Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.​
Again, I'm scatching my head. By just quoting this passage, you are doing the very thing that you are complaining about Bob doing, are you not?

James 4:11 warns us: "Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of [his] brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge."
Who is your brother in this context?

God tells us what is right and wrong. We don't have to and shouldn't infer by His actions.
What? You cannot mean this. Do you realize that you have basically just said that God says "Do as I say, not as I do"! That's blasphemy! God does not say one thing and do another. If you think He does, you've misunderstood either His word, or His actions or both.

Resting in Him,
Clete

beanieboy

The Edge said:
But it's compounded by the fierce devotion to him on this board...

This is closer to what I was getting at.
The way people have fierce devotion with him, and often don't even question what he says.

Do people worship Enyart? Well, they don't ask him into their heart, etc. But if one claims to love Jesus, they should see some big contradictions between what Enyart says, and what Jesus says, and to choose Enyart over Jesus...

Well, actions speak louder than words.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
beanieboy said:
The way people have fierce devotion with him, and often don't even question what he says.

Do people worship Enyart? Well, they don't ask him into their heart, etc. But if one claims to love Jesus, they should see some big contradictions between what Enyart says, and what Jesus says, and to choose Enyart over Jesus...

Well, actions speak louder than words.

Examples of these so called contradictions, please.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Here's an example..... Jesus says the greatest commandent is love one another, but Enyart says it's ok to mock and insult. And I see a lot of it coming from Enyart followers, much more than love. I guess that's one of the biggest examples. Just look at Turbo's last post #428.

Johnny

We aren't entitled to behave like God? Are you sure you don't want to take that one back? I can establish very easily that the Bible teaches that we are to be immitators of God.
Of course we are commanded to be His followers and to imitate Him within the boundaries He sets forth. But no, we don't always have the right or authority to behave like God. You've already admitted to that.

not because they are unloving or ungodly.
By definition it cannot be ungodly. As to whether or not it is unloving is a different question. Some would argue that God is always loving. Yet He hated Esau, even before Esau was born. There are a few instances of God's hate in the Old Testament. We are commanded to love.

Every time someone quotes these verses in this context I just have to scratch my head. I really don't get it. How does this help your case? The only way it would is if you read it as though the words "without cause" weren't in there.
As I argued with Lighthouse, "without cause" is only included with anger. It is not included with the latter two instances, and I believe for a reason. I've looked at a lot of commentary on this passage and none of them seem to suggest that without cause should be extended to the latter two. Further, some even noted that it is debated whether or not "without cause" is included at all. Some of the newer translations do not include it.

Can you imagine telling your next door neighbor that if he is angry at someone without cause that he is in danger of Hell fire? How "nice" would that be? Not very. And that's just the point Bob is trying to make.
Truely. But those aren't my words and my judgements, those are God's words and God's judgements. Calling someone a moron or insulting someone's intelligence is not speaking the word of God or passing the judgement of God upon them.

Who is your brother in this context?
Christians.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:

I'm sick of your lies beanboy! How would you know if anybody has ever accepted what he has to say without questioning it? You absolutely do not. You make false accusations simply because you don't like the man. It's one thing to not like somebody but to be so shallow and low as to make up things about people just because you don't like them is childlike. You whine and you cry that people treat you unfairly. Yet you don't hesitate in being unfair to others by saying things about them that aren't true.

beanieboy

Poly said:
I'm sick of your lies beanboy! How would you know if anybody has ever accepted what he has to say without questioning it? You absolutely do not. You make false accusations simply because you don't like the man. It's one thing to not like somebody but to be so shallow and low as to say things that you know nothing about is childlike. You whine and you cry that people treat you unfairly. Yet you don't hesitate in being unfair to others by saying things about them that aren't true.

Does Enyart say that it is okay to hate sinners?

Is this really biblical, or contrary to what Christ says?

Does Enyart say that God's love is conditional - that he only loves Christians, and not the unsaved?

Is this biblical or contrary to what Christ says?

It's not Enyart that I have a problem with. It's that he has many followers that follow what he says, or the twisted things he claims the bible to say, and therefore, twists the hearts of men.

In short, he is a modern day Pharisee, and Jesus was very, very angry at the Pharisees because they were misleading people away from God.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
beanieboy said:
Does Enyart say that it is okay to hate sinners?

Is this really biblical, or contrary to what Christ says?

Does Enyart say that God's love is conditional - that he only loves Christians, and not the unsaved?

Is this biblical or contrary to what Christ says?

It's not Enyart that I have a problem with. It's that he has many followers that follow what he says, or the twisted things he claims the bible to say, and therefore, twists the hearts of men.

In short, he is a modern day Pharisee, and Jesus was very, very angry at the Pharisees because they were misleading people away from God.

All of this is a mere distraction to take the focus off of your lie.

Beanie you said people accept what he says without questioning it which you said they do often. Can you prove this to be true?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Edge said:
Here's an example..... Jesus says the greatest commandent is love one another, but Enyart says it's ok to mock and insult. And I see a lot of it coming from Enyart followers, much more than love. I guess that's one of the biggest examples. Just look at Turbo's last post #428.

It is loving to mock and insult evil people. If it were not God would not have done it repeatedly in the Bible.

You guys are going to have to do better than this. This post is nothing more than "Bob is wrong because I don't like what he says and how he says it." If Bob is truly wrong than I trully want to know about it (and so does he, by the way) but you've got to get more substantive than this or you have no chance of convincing anyone of anything.

Resting in Him,
Clete

beanieboy

Poly said:
All of this is a mere distraction to take the focus off of your lie.

Beanie you said people accept what he says without questioning it which you said they do often. Can you prove this to be true?

Many here claim that they can hate people in the name of God.

Is that good enough?