Indiana Woman Fired for Refusing to Issue Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ Licenses Files Suit

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Indiana Woman Fired for Refusing to Issue Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ Licenses Files Suit

This is excellent and what should be happening - make them fire you, rather than quit, then file suit for religious discrimination. One should not have to check their religious beliefs at the door.

Religious accommodation has been upheld and needs to keep being upheld. Do not just quit, stand up for your rights.
She should not be fired. We live in a diverse culture and her rights need to be respected.

Plenty of Christians commit plenty of "abominations" from the Hebrew Bible and they should not be discriminated for doing so. Most Christians are not interested in taking Jesus seriously (in my opinion) but that does not make it okay to discriminate against them. And many, many believers judge and hypocritically posture. Does that mean we should treat them badly?

kiwimacahau

A Public servant does not have the right to place their values above the public they are hired to serve. As a former public servant and senior PS Unionist I would not support this person's case.

Lexington'96

Reasonable accomodations

white-and-colored-drinking-fountains.jpg

An old preacher I had, who is black and went to a segregated school in the '50s, would strongly disagree.

I think the burden of proof should be on you to explain why he is no different than the klansmen that lived in his town.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
An old preacher I had, who is black and went to a segregated school in the '50s, would strongly disagree.

I think the burden of proof should be on you to explain why he is no different than the klansmen that lived in his town.
That photo brings back memories. In the south as a white kid, I remember wanting to drink from the "colored fountain" but my parents wouldn't let me. I thought the water in them would be in colors and I was always disappointed!

bybee

then you would agree that it's wrong for this clerk to use her religion to justify discrimination

She has a right to her own thoughts. On the job. Do your job. If I were her supervisor I'd do a little training on freedom of choice being something we all enjoy. Whilst performing the tasks of a job one is neither endorsing a behavior nor condemning a behavior.
Common sense is a good bottom line.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
That's where she'll fail.
You can transfer her to the broom and mop department but if she won't mop up the footprints left by the gays then she's useless.

Mopping up homosexual footprints is a hate crime, we all hate footprints

kiwimacahau

She has a right to her own thoughts. On the job. Do your job. If I were her supervisor I'd do a little training on freedom of choice being something we all enjoy. Whilst performing the tasks of a job one is neither endorsing a behavior nor condemning a behavior.
Common sense is a good bottom line.

That is entirely correct. A Public Servant is there to provide a service on behalf of government, it is not the job of that public servant to attempt to filter the government's services through their particular religious viewpoint. What would be the feeling of folk if a Sikh or Muslim public servant refused to provide a government service to an atheist?

bybee

That is entirely correct. A Public Servant is there to provide a service on behalf of government, it is not the job of that public servant to attempt to filter the government's services through their particular religious viewpoint. What would be the feeling of folk if a Sikh or Muslim public servant refused to provide a government service to an atheist?

Somewhat like how I feel when a Muslim clerk refuses to handle pork products in a checkout line?
Either do the job for which you were hired or, Get out!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A Public servant does not have the right to place their values above the public they are hired to serve.

Wrong, as usual.

A man is obligated to reject regulations that go against God's standards.

TrakeM

Wrong, as usual.

A man is obligated to reject regulations that go against God's standards.
So, if a muslim religiously believes that christians shouldn't be allowed to marry, he/she can deny marriage licenses to christians?

What if a muslim religiously believes it's wrong to not murder christians. Do they have a right to commit murder since their religion says so?

There are problems with declaring religious edicts to supersede the rule of law.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, if a muslim religiously believes that christians shouldn't be allowed to marry, he/she can deny marriage licenses to christians?What if a muslim religiously believes it's wrong to not murder christians. Do they have a right to commit murder since their religion says so?
:AMR:

Of course not.

No listen to yourself declare a religious edict that would supersede the rule of law:
There are problems with declaring religious edicts to supersede the rule of law.

Then you shouldn't do it then. :up:

Meanwhile, God's standards define the law. Live not up to them, and you are breaking the law, regardless of what men's regulations say.

TrakeM

:AMR:

Of course not.

No listen to yourself declare a religious edict that would supersede the rule of law:

Then you shouldn't do it then. :up:

Meanwhile, God's standards define the law. Live not up to them, and you are breaking the law, regardless of what men's regulations say.
You know, the muslims agree with you. They believe god's laws supersede man's laws. Of course, when they try to do that you cry foul but they have exactly the same amount of scientific evidence to support their god as you have to support yours. Theocracy is a bad idea.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You know, the muslims agree with you.
Therefore, something. :idunno:

When they try to do that you cry foul but they have exactly the same amount of scientific evidence to support their god as you have to support yours.
Nope.

Theocracy is a bad idea.

And everything you say is a bad idea. :idunno:

See how that works?

TrakeM

Therefore, something. :idunno:

Nope.

And everything you say is a bad idea. :idunno:

See how that works?
You are basically just sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "la la la I'm not listening".

When you say "nope" are you saying that to the idea that you cry foul when muslims say their religion supersedes yours? Are you saying you do have more evidence to back up your religion than muslims have to support theirs? If so, present your evidence.