In Other News Today.....

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Because he liked punk blankets instead of cars. Because he liked girls clothes and wanted to line up with the girls at school.

It's best to leave permanent, life changing decisions up to 6-year-olds.

And this obvious girl of mine

picture.php

Pretended one day she was a boy and one day a girl till she was about 8 or 9 years old (of course at times she wanted to identify with her older brother), and we would just ask her what she was that day - and shes now one of the most feminine chicks youll ever meet and won loads of pageants in middle and high school. Her nick name is anna nicole even...

A 6 year old boy isnt gay just because he likes all kinds of toys not just boy ones. But it sounds like his parents are trying to make him that way... how sad.

Last edited:

WizardofOz

Court battle looms over Bibles in Georgia state park cabins

Here

A battle over Bibles is brewing in Georgia, where the governor said on Wednesday the books should be allowed to be placed in the bedside table drawers at state-owned vacation properties after an atheist's objection led to their removal.

Ed Buckner, an author and former president of a group called American Atheists, said he complained to state officials last month after finding nine Gideons Bibles in the three-bedroom, state-run lodge he was renting in North Georgia.

Gideons International, an evangelical Christian group based in Nashville, Tennessee, says it has distributed nearly two billion Bibles worldwide since its founding more than a century ago.

Buckner, 67, of Atlanta, said on Wednesday that Georgia was violating the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits the government from establishing a religion.

Soon after Buckner complained on April 28, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources removed the books from lodge rooms and cabins at state parks in an effort to avoid litigation as it reviewed the issue, the governor's office said.

But on Wednesday, after consulting with the state's attorney general, Republican Governor Nathan Deal ordered that the volumes be returned.

"The attorney general and I agree that the state is on firm legal footing as we move to return the Bibles to the rooms," Deal said in a statement.

"These Bibles are donated by outside groups, not paid for by the state, and I do not believe that a Bible in a bedside table drawer constitutes a state establishment of religion," Deal said. "In fact, any group is free to donate literature."

Buckner said he may sue Georgia over the issue.

"I can very much imagine this turning into a lawsuit...It's outrageous that anybody thinks this is acceptable," he said.

Malcolm Arvin, a Gideons spokesman, said the group has provided Bibles for state lodges around the United States. He said he knew of no other state where the religious books have been challenged.

Is Ed Buckner just a whiny atheist or should the bibles be removed from state-owned vacation properties?

What do you think?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Here

A battle over Bibles is brewing in Georgia, where the governor said on Wednesday the books should be allowed to be placed in the bedside table drawers at state-owned vacation properties after an atheist's objection led to their removal.

Ed Buckner, an author and former president of a group called American Atheists, said he complained to state officials last month after finding nine Gideons Bibles in the three-bedroom, state-run lodge he was renting in North Georgia.

Gideons International, an evangelical Christian group based in Nashville, Tennessee, says it has distributed nearly two billion Bibles worldwide since its founding more than a century ago.

Buckner, 67, of Atlanta, said on Wednesday that Georgia was violating the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits the government from establishing a religion.

Soon after Buckner complained on April 28, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources removed the books from lodge rooms and cabins at state parks in an effort to avoid litigation as it reviewed the issue, the governor's office said.

But on Wednesday, after consulting with the state's attorney general, Republican Governor Nathan Deal ordered that the volumes be returned.

"The attorney general and I agree that the state is on firm legal footing as we move to return the Bibles to the rooms," Deal said in a statement.

"These Bibles are donated by outside groups, not paid for by the state, and I do not believe that a Bible in a bedside table drawer constitutes a state establishment of religion," Deal said. "In fact, any group is free to donate literature."

Buckner said he may sue Georgia over the issue.

"I can very much imagine this turning into a lawsuit...It's outrageous that anybody thinks this is acceptable," he said.

Malcolm Arvin, a Gideons spokesman, said the group has provided Bibles for state lodges around the United States. He said he knew of no other state where the religious books have been challenged.

Is Ed Buckner just a whiny atheist or should the bibles be removed from state-owned vacation properties?

What do you think?

I think hes a whiny atheist, and no they shouldn't be removed, unless the state paid for them and replaces them as they age or get messed up. Since they are donated by private groups the state has violated nothing.

Thats like saying the state cannot carry pamplets to local attractions in the area, like all hotels have since the businesses arent owned by the state and are private.

I think the governor making the right choice, lest the occupancy rates drop dramatically. Does whiny atheist have to open the drawer and read it?

WizardofOz

I think hes a whiny atheist, and no they shouldn't be removed, unless the state paid for them and replaces them as they age or get messed up. Since they are donated by private groups the state has violated nothing.

Thats like saying the state cannot carry pamplets to local attractions in the area, like all hotels have since the businesses arent owned by the state and are private.

I think the governor making the right choice, lest the occupancy rates drop dramatically. Does whiny atheist have to open the drawer and read it?

I certainly agree :up:

:mock: Ed Buckner :allsmile:
:mock: American Atheists

WizardofOz

Florida girl, 18, arrested and expelled after relationship with 15-year-old female classmate

Here

Should she have been charged?

The family of Kaitlyn Hunt wants prosecutors to reconsider the charges against their daughter. Under a plea deal on the table, she would face two years of house arrest and one year of probation for engaging in a physical relationship with her younger girlfriend, a student at a Sebastian, Fla., high school. Her mom says she’s no criminal and was being targeted, in part, because of her sexuality.

If equality is important, what punishment, if any, could be deemed "equal"?

rexlunae

Florida girl, 18, arrested and expelled after relationship with 15-year-old female classmate

Here

The family of Kaitlyn Hunt wants prosecutors to reconsider the charges against their daughter. Under a plea deal on the table, she would face two years of house arrest and one year of probation for engaging in a physical relationship with her younger girlfriend, a student at a Sebastian, Fla., high school. Her mom says she’s no criminal and was being targeted, in part, because of her sexuality.

If equality is important, what punishment, if any, could be deemed "equal"?

It seems to me that the lesbian angle of this story is being overplayed. It seems to be a case of a questionable use of statutory rape laws against a teenager who turned eighteen before her significant other.

Dena

Here

No. Neither should there have been charges if one of them was male and the other female, or if both were male, of the older one was female and the younger male, the older male and the younger female.

When I was 18 I have a 16 year old boyfriend. I cannot fathom his parents having charges filed against me. I think some of our laws are a little strange. This girl is not a sexual predator.

WizardofOz

It seems to me that the lesbian angle of this story is being overplayed.

By her mother, it seems....

"Her mom says she’s no criminal and was being targeted, in part, because of her sexuality."

It seems to be a case of a questionable use of statutory rape laws against a teenager who turned eighteen before her significant other.

But, that's exactly what statutory rape laws are for. What is questionable about it?

Did she commit a crime?

WizardofOz

No. Neither should there have been charges if one of them was male and the other female, or if both were male, of the older one was female and the younger male, the older male and the younger female.

When I was 18 I have a 16 year old boyfriend. I cannot fathom his parents having charges filed against me. I think some of our laws are a little strange. This girl is not a sexual predator.

Where would you draw the line? This case was an 18-year-old and a 15-year-old. What about 19 and 14, 20 and 13.....

You must have a limit, what is it and what would the punishment be?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Common sense should apply, in cases like that. Rarely does, though. That being said, 18 vs 15 is over the line, in my opinion.

rexlunae

By her mother, it seems....

"Her mom says she’s no criminal and was being targeted, in part, because of her sexuality."

Indeed. Of course, the reason this is being prosecuted is also at the demand of the other girl's parents, as is often the case with statutory rape. These charges are often inherently arbitrary in that way.

But, that's exactly what statutory rape laws are for. What is questionable about it?

Yes, it is. The thing that I find questionable about it is when a statutory rape charge is brought against a teenager for relations with their significant other. We aren't talking about an old man and a child. We're talking about two kids who are close enough in age to date reasonably. It's a bad reason to charge them with a rape.

And that has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Did she commit a crime?

It seems likely, as the law is written.

WizardofOz

It seems to me that the lesbian angle of this story is being overplayed.

Once again, I will agree with you...Is it Illegal to Be a Gay Teen in Florida?

Yeah, Deb Rox, it's because she's gay :hammer:

This is one of the dumbest commentary articles I've read in a while.

Some of the she-must-be-highlights....

A high school student is facing felony charges because on her 18th birthday the parents of her girlfriend decided to legally harass her. I don't understand why law enforcement is assisting this, because if Kaitlyn were an 18-year-old boy they wouldn't be involved. In Florida, typically legal action about consensual relationships between teens would only be pursued if the one person is 24-years-old or older.

It seems clear that Kaitlyn is in trouble because she's gay.

While I feel statutory rape charges often result in too stiff of punishment, the act is still illegal.

She's wrong about the 24-years-old or older part as well.

A child under 16 years of age cannot consent to sexual activity, regardless of the age of the defendant. A child who is at least 16 years of age and less than 18 years of age cannot consent to sexual activity if the defendant is 24 years of age or older. Here

The girl was 15. Not 16-18 as Deb Rox seems to be confusing.

So much for equality

Unlawful Sex with Minors and Statutory Rape

A person convicted of Unlawful Sexual Activity with Minors, commonly called Statutory Rape, is facing a maximum sentence of fifteen (15) years in prison and a minimum sentence of approximately five (5) years in prison.

Source

Seems like Kaitlyn better take the deal.

WizardofOz

If you can't beat em...kill yourself

If you can't beat em...kill yourself

An 78-year-old French far-right activist committed suicide at the altar of the Notre Dame cathedral on Tuesday by shooting himself in the mouth, three days after a law legalizing same-sex marriage came into effect.

Police evacuated the cathedral, one of Paris' biggest tourist draws, after Dominique Venner - a historian known for his hard-right political essays and a fierce opponent of gay marriage - shot himself, sending tourists fleeing in panic.

Venner made no declaration as he shot himself around mid-afternoon, a police source said. He carried a letter on his person, but its contents were not released to the media.

Source

He showed them :hammer:

WizardofOz

U.S. Admits for First Time Drones Killed 4 Americans

One day before President Obama is due to deliver a major speech on national security, his administration on Wednesday formally acknowledged that the United States had killed four American citizens in drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan.

In a letter to Congressional leaders obtained by The New York Times, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. disclosed that the administration had deliberately killed Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical Muslim cleric who was killed in a drone strike in September 2011 in Yemen.

The American responsibility for Mr. Awlaki’s death has been widely reported, but the administration had until now refused to confirm or deny it.

The letter also said that the United States had killed three other Americans: Samir Khan, who was killed in the same strike; Mr. Awlaki’s son Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, who was also killed in Yemen; and Jude Mohammed, who was killed in a strike in Pakistan.

“These individuals were not specifically targeted by the United States,” Mr. Holder wrote.

I would not be satisfied with a civil lawsuit. Whoever signed off on the drone strikes should face criminal charges for killing American citizens abroad without due process. :madmad:

WizardofOz

Islamicist Attack In London?

Islamicist Attack In London?

Man dead in "truly shocking" London attack

A brutal attack in broad daylight near a military barracks in London left one man dead and two suspects hospitalized Wednesday after a shootout with police. British Prime Minister David Cameron said the attack appeared to be terror related.

In footage caught by a passerby, a man with bloody hands holding a meat cleaver and a knife speaks to the camera in a British accent, saying: "We swear by Almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you. The only reasons we have done this is because Muslims are dying every day. This British soldier is an eye for an eye a tooth for tooth. We apologize that women had to see this today but in our lands our women have to see the same. You people will never be safe. Remove your government. They don't care about you."

He gave no indication what that land was.

He then walks back toward the body of the victim. The body is surrounded by three passersby trying to help the victim. The alleged attacker speaks to another man, also possibly involved in the incident. Soon after, both men are seen lying on the ground, having been shot by police who responded to the scene.

WizardofOz

At 11:21 p.m. Sunday, May 26, a caller dialed 911 from the Brentwood Village Apartments at 2281 Table Rock Road, Medford, but hung up without speaking to a dispatcher, Medford police said in a news release today. Officers were sent to check the area, but initially found no evidence of a problem at the apartments.

As they were leaving, they heard a gunshot and saw a man running. Police chased the man, who was identified as Jonathan Kinsella, 40, of the 1100 block of Gatepark Drive, Central Point. Kinsella was arrested on warrants charging him with parole violation, failure to appear on charges of fourth-degree assault and harassment, and contempt of court, police said.

Knowing that there were warrants out for his arrest, Kinsella had tried to escape from officers when he saw them arrive at the apartment complex, police said.

He ran into the backyard of Cory Thompson's apartment and tried to climb over a fence, but fell, causing a crashing noise. The 36-year-old Thompson stepped out to investigate, his AR-15 rifle in his hand, police said.

"I don't think we can really fault him for wanting to investigate armed with a gun," Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said.

Thompson pointed the rifle at Kinsella, and told him he was armed, police said.

Kinsella started to walk away, and Thompson fired a shot. Police do not believe Thompson intended to hit Kinsella. No one else was hit by the bullet.

"It definitely sped him up," Budreau said of the shot that sent Kinsella running.

Police allege Thompson was not justified in the shooting, as Kinsella never presented a direct threat to his life.

"Every situation is different to a point, but there would have to be some type of imminent threat to yourself or someone else," Budreau said.

Thompson was cited and released on charges of reckless endangerment, unlawful use of a weapon and menacing. The rifle was seized as evidence, police said.

Kinsella remains in jail without bail today.

Source

A wanted criminal stumbles onto this man's property, he investigates armed, fires a warning shot to frighten the intruder and he is then fined an his gun is confiscated?

Should he have been fined?
Should his gun be "seized as evidence"?

Additionally:
Homeowner shot and killed by at least one Fort Worth police officer​

Jerry Wayne Waller was shot and killed early Tuesday morning after he went outside to investigate bright lights outside of the bedroom, his wife Kathy told NBC 5 on Tuesday evening.

Armed with a .38-caliber pistol, Waller was apparently shot several times in his rear-facing garage after some sort of miscommunication with police officers.

Officials with the Fort Worth Police Department said officers were in the neighborhood responding to an alarm call; but that call was to a home across the street from the Waller residence.

Here

WizardofOz

Follow up

Follow up

Eighteen-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt, charged with a crime for having sex with a 14-year-old girl, rejected a deal Friday that would have required her to plead guilty to child abuse, according to Hunt's attorney.

More

WizardofOz

Texas House passes contentious abortion bill​

The bill requires doctors to have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals, only allow abortions in surgical centers and ban abortions after 20 weeks.

Democrats and women's rights activists have protested the bill for weeks. The measure failed to win enough support during the regular session, then died in the first special session due to a 13-hour filibuster by state Sen. Wendy Davis, a Fort Worth Democrat.

Republican leaders, including Gov. Rick Perry and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, are intent on passing it quickly through the Republican-controlled Legislature in a second special session. Democrats can do little but slow the bill down, attract as much attention as possible and lay the groundwork for a federal lawsuit to block it once it becomes law.

Davis' successful filibuster put the Texas bill in the spotlight of the national abortion debate. On Monday night, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee spoke to abortion rights opponents. The Planned Parenthood Federation of America announced a statewide bus tour Tuesday morning, dubbed Stand With Texas Women.

"It seems like every time women looked up from doing their laundry of helping children with their homework, the Texas Legislature is right there taking aim at them again," said Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. "Over the past few years, more than 50 women's health centers have been shut down."

source

Good bill or bad bill?

It's funny that this bill will be passed on the state level but Texas democrats are going to "lay the groundwork for a federal lawsuit to block it once it becomes law".

When will pro-lifers realize that the federal government is a roadblock to pro-life legislation? It doesn't matter how many GOP-appointed justices are on the SCOTUS. Giving the authority to the states is the only way to pass real reform.